What is this mystery AA light?

Lsaulog

Newly Enlightened
ULTRAG.jpg

It looks like something that P. Gransee made for the gov't. Can anyone confirm? Any idea on how bright it is compared to Microlight III?
Thanks in advance./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
This is no mystery, it's one of the most common lights owned by CPF'ers -- it's an Ultra-G, the military version of the CMG Infinity Ultra. The Ultra-G is identical to the civilian version except for:

Darker green color and tougher Type III Hard Anodizing
No lanyard or pocket clip
Mil-spec engraving instead of printed CMG logo
No packaging

It's sold by CountyComm.

Now go buy one, they're great performers, and a good value too. They will outshine any light powered by button cells after a few minutes operation, then go on to run for hours. I own several.

Dave

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless something has changed, the Ultra-G is NOT an Infinity Ultra.
The one I received from County Comm still had the black blob contact.
The Ultra has a gold contact.
The Ultra-G appears to be an original Infinity that's simply been HA-III coated.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
Unless something has changed, the Ultra-G is NOT an Infinity Ultra.
The one I received from County Comm still had the black blob contact.
The Ultra has a gold contact.
The Ultra-G appears to be an original Infinity that's simply been HA-III coated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. My Ultra-G's perform with identical side-by-side brightness and beam as my civilian Ultra's. Just a hair brighter than an Arc AAA. I don't have a non-Ultra Infinity to compare it to, but I really think the Ultra and the Ultra-G have the same guts. At least mine do.

Dave

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the positive battery contact black, copper, or gold?
The original Infinities (and the Ultra-G I received) have the black blob. If you scrape it away you will find copper.
(Scraping it away also increases the light output to match the level of the Ultra.)
Civilian Ultras have a GOLD contact.

Ben H

Enlightened
I just got one and it is great! Mine is the same brightness as the standard CMG Infinity Ultra and my Arc AAA. I would recommend it or if you want something smaller that runs on a AAA cell get the ARC AAA. Both are great.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I bought eight Ultra-Gs, the ones before they had numbers &
all of them have copper positive battery contact.
These are Ultra -Gs for sure.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need to assume. You can check.

[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
The original Infinities have the black blob.
If you scrape it away you will find copper.
Civilian Ultras have a GOLD contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

artar

Enlightened
which of these CMG Ultras are the brightest one ? ultra, ultra-g, infinity, infinity ultra ... this is very confusing.

is this CMG ??? full regulated or only a step-converter like the arc aaa ?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My US Government version of the CMG Ultra has a gold, copper, brass, or whatever (it ain't black)positive connector. Do a search on the CPF for CMG Ultra or Ultra-G for the last 12 months and that should answer your question.

What is called a Ultra-G IS a CMG Ultra with NO accessories.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have an Infinity Ultra with the gold contact - not that black s&U$% that the standard Infinity has. Somewhere along the line, I compared an Infinity Ultra with an Arc-LE, and found them to be virtually identical in brightness.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
To confuse matters further, I have three Ultra-G's, all have the gold battery contact.

One is the dark green, two are the lighter green. Go figure.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I think the newest batch that countycomm is selling is a darker green than the original. If it has the NSN number engraved then it is the newer batch, if it only says US GOVERNMENT then it is the older batch.

The one pictured in the OP is the newer batch.

There are no significant differences between old and new batch, just the color and engraving are different.

alberto

Enlightened
My two Infinity Ultra-Gs from CountyComm have a copper contact and produce exactly the same light as my civie Infinity Ultra. CMG makes both of these lights. Other than the cosmetics, they are exactly the same light. They work great with a lithium AA cell. Highly recommended.

Empath

Flashaholic
GJW, if you have one from CountryComm with the black blob contact, you have a regular Infinity. Before the Ultra G, CMG also made a government version of the Infinity, and they were sold by CountyComm. The blob is part of the current limiting circuit. It's a resistive material that decreases its resistance as it's compressed.