Uniqe Titanium
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Street robber/mugger blinding torch needed.

Default Street robber/mugger blinding torch needed.

Hi. As per title. What small handbag friendly torch would you suggest? Got to be able to blind them for 30 seconds, easy to use, maybe strobe effect? Want to buy one for my now wife for when I can't pick her up from the train station.

Default Re: Street robber/mugger blinding torch needed.

I think you will find some good choices if you go to shiningbeam.com and check out their single cr123 lights. They should all give you around 180 OTF lumens, and you could get one of the romisens which only has one mode or one of tactical ITP's which can be programmed to a specific mode. I'm not too familiar with the romisens, but they say 2 hour runtime which makes me think they might be slightly less bright. I think the quark 123 tactical could be a good choice too. I think in generall most single 123 new tactical lights are going to suit your purposes, although you might still want to go with the romisen just because its so simple, 1 mode on/off.
    Last edited by sol-leks; 01-28-2010 at 05:44 PM.

I don't want to hijack your thread but do you mind if I include the question

How durable are strike bezels? When you hit a hard headed guy repeatedly will the light still function?

If a dude got hit in the head with a strike bezel, his skin would split before the Al broke...

Just look at the E2DL's strike bezel... scary.

My experience is here.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Flashaholic*

Nothing gets between me and my Polarion PH50.

When you absolutely, positively, gotta blind every mother****** in the alleyway, accept no substitute.

I'm kidding, I'm just a huge fan of the film "Jackie Brown". In all seriousness a compact one cell light might do the trick. Keep in mind though blinding someone with a flashlight is pretty overrated, unless of course you have something like a PH50...
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by rob3rto View Post
    Hi. As per title. What small handbag friendly torch would you suggest? Got to be able to blind them for 30 seconds, easy to use, maybe strobe effect? Want to buy one for my now wife for when I can't pick her up from the train station.
    hmmm, desperate, jumped up, experienced street robber (or two....) versus untrained woman with supposedly blinding torch buried at bottom of handbag, how do you reckon the score in that match will end up............

I still can't fathom the idea that people think a torch can protect them, I really can't. Either you can fight or you can't, I don't see how a torch changes things (unless of course it's to see where you aim your Glock).

Forget the torch for your wife...get her a stun gun and some pepper spray and a loud whistle. Blinding light only works in near total darkness....and only for a few seconds. I just remembered...a can of wasp spray. It will cause blindness if not washed out quickly. Better them than a dead wife.
    Last edited by Lighthouse one; 01-28-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: new info
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

Quote Originally Posted by JaguarDave-in-Oz View Post
    hmmm, desperate, jumped up, experienced street robber (or two....) versus untrained woman with supposedly blinding torch buried at bottom of handbag, how do you reckon the score in that match will end up............

I still can't fathom the idea that people think a torch can protect them, I really can't. Either you can fight or you can't, I don't see how a torch changes things (unless of course it's to see where you aim your Glock).

OP from UK, no guns allowed.... I'd have to say a light is probably better than nothing, pepper spray will probably be more effective(not sure if thats allowed in UK either) than a light, stun gun??

a small light on lithium ion or cr123/s is probably the best bet unless willing to carry a tk40 sized light....if its really dark, a single AA on high might be enough to temporarily "blind" someone.

if the light is only gonna be used for "protection"... you'll want a UI with MAX and Strobe only.IMO

A flashlight just isn't going to do anything other than give your wife a false sense of security.

I know the laws in the UK forbid most any self-defense devices, but if you want a legal way to blind a would-be mugger, give your wife a handful of sand and tell her to throw it at their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol View Post
    A flashlight just isn't going to do anything other than give your wife a false sense of security.

I know the laws in the UK forbid most any self-defense devices, but if you want a legal way to blind a would-be mugger, give your wife a handful of sand and tell her to throw it at their eyes.
    excellent idea

a plastic bag with some sand is easy to carry, one in every coat/bag.

very good and practical UK self defense tip.
    If and when the the big dookie hits the fan, and global chaos ensues, i want a couple of quality AA lights within reach.

A good pepper spray and, better yet, a handgun as well.

A flashlight cannot be counted on to do anything, and it certainly isnt going to actually "blind" anybody.

This is why I live in the United States. The fact that people think a bag of sand makes a good self defense tool and is, in fact, possibly one of the better legal options is incredibly sad. I feel for you.

Wasp spray....that's not bad. Pretty stupid that you might have to carry that over something like pepper spray that is not toxic and will cause no permenent damage, though.

What you REALLY need is quality professional training in self defense, and maybe a solid cane with stick fighting techniques.
    Last edited by Warp; 01-28-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    My current favorites: Quark 123^2 Tactical, EagleTac T20C2, Thrunite TN11, Fenix P1D, ZebraLight SC51W

Arrow Re: Street robber/mugger blinding torch needed.

Wow, it’s been nearly 2 hours and the DM has yet to close the thread after pointing out that about 90,000 billion katrion of them already exist! Not trying to be rude or anything, but discussion about “physically injuring someone” etc isn’t really allowed on here if I can recall, the DM will surly pop in soon and post something along those lines, just giving everyone a heads up.
    “What do you mean LEDs are more efficient then Incans?”, that’s just what they want you to think! It’s a Conspiracy, Man!

By all means, I'd say a flashlight is a good thing no woman (or man) should be without, whether in her purse or otherwise. But relying on photons as weapons -- not a winning recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by JaguarDave-in-Oz View Post
    In all fairness, in some cases it is likely to change the outcome. Particularly because a lot of morons think "bright flashlight" = "police flashlight", and some of them may run rather than stick around to find out whether you're a cop or not. But I for sure wouldn't bet my life on it.

Except the PH50. That might do the trick.

Original Poster has been a CPF member more than 2 Years.

Therefore, he certainly SHOULD know the answer to his question by now.

(Sigh)
    _

I agree. A search would yeild many prior discussions on this topic.

As appealing as a magic light sabre or beam could be, it is NOT a reality.
    YES bright lights have tactical uses, but these are MEGA MEGA "non LED" & masssive current devouring.

A light in some night conditions, COULD be helpful , especially coupled with distance etc.

A blinding strobe could suprise a predator and maybe that could buy enough time to react or escape.

strike bezels? sure in the right hands
    OTOH getting mauled by your own light doesn't sound appealing.

That "WASP SPRAY" use in the USA,while possibly VERY effective, could be a violation of Fed law. (read the label)
    Last edited by tsask; 01-30-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    By all means, I'd say a flashlight is a good thing no woman (or man) should be without, whether in her purse or otherwise. But relying on photons as weapons -- not a winning recipe.

In all fairness, in some cases it is likely to change the outcome. Particularly because a lot of morons think "bright flashlight" = "police flashlight", and some of them may run rather than stick around to find out whether you're a cop or not. But I for sure wouldn't bet my life on it.

Yes. A bright light directly in the eyes along with a firm verbal command can work wonders, or so I hear.

BUT I intend to have my Glock in the event that it doesn't work. Or if I am in an off limits location I will at least have pepper spray (the good stuff WORKS) and a knife. Gun is best, though. Trump card.
    My current favorites: Quark 123^2 Tactical, EagleTac T20C2, Thrunite TN11, Fenix P1D, ZebraLight SC51W

Quote Originally Posted by waddup View Post
    excellent idea

a plastic bag with some sand is easy to carry, one in every coat/bag.

very good and practical UK self defense tip.
    mix in ground peppers and chillis with the sand

but back on topic, seeing that it's just meant to blind etc a potential perpetrator of peril (alliteration intended) i would assume that runtime is NOT an issue.

Was thinking of a Solarforce L2M with an SST-50 drop in or Solarforce's MC-E drop in, oh and get the forward clicky switch from solarforce too. all items available HERE

EDIT: don't forget to get a clip so it can be clipped in accessible place instead of rolling around somewhere at the botttom of the bag, better yet, get her to hold it in her hand immediately upon exiting the station.

One of those personal alarms would be good too
    Last edited by hyperloop; 01-28-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Why are all the contestants in Miss Universe only from Earth?

OP... your time would be better spent trying to change your laws and regaining your personal freedoms and human rights .
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
    When you hit a hard headed guy repeatedly will the light still function?
    Good god, making that statement a reality will likely lead to manslaughter charges lol

If I thought it was possible to find, I would show a video of 10+ people with knives walking right through OC. Pepper spray is like a pain compliance thing, do what I say or I'll burn your face off. It isn't going to stop an attacker if they want you.

Civilian stun guns are as useful as a big stick. I actually prefer the stick. 100,000 volts! An X26 delivers somewhere well below 10,000 (I think around 2000) when it actually hits a target. It's the watts. Civilian stun gun will never have the wattage and amps to affect the nervous and muscular system like "a cops taser".

The best thing to do if you can't carry a gun is to get something like an E2DL. It won't affect their aggressive attitude, but it will shield the fact that you are fixing to split their face open. In the end, the worst case scenario is you might get a blood born disease (Which workers comp doesn't cover in some states, what?).
    Last edited by Search; 01-28-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Search View Post

If I thought it was possible to find, I would show a video of 10+ people with knives walking right through OC. Pepper spray is like a pain compliance thing, do what I say or I'll burn your face off. It isn't going to stop an attacker if they want you.

What pepper sprays have you been hit (in the face/eyes) with?

What pepper sprays have you witnessed being used?

No, OC is not a guaranteed thing. Yes, you are correct, some people have a very high tolerance and are not obviously/adversely affected and, yes, you can fight through it. But boy will it drop an awful lot of people like a sack of potatoes. It is an excellent tool to have available. I always carry a bottle. But, like I said above, I also always carry a gun. However, a gun is lethal force...OC is not. If the guy has a knife I shoot him. But absent a weapon or other aggravating circumstances OC is outstanding as it is not lethal force. In fact it will not actually injure the person.

I'd like to see videos of guys going right through a quality pepper spray. By that I mean spitfire, fox, saber, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

How durable are strike bezels? When you hit a hard headed guy repeatedly will the light still function?

If you are hitting a guy in the head repeatedly with a strike bezel the light functioning is probably nothing to be concerned with at that point. What you are doing is likely to be considered lethal force and the guy is likely to be somewhat seriously injured. Whether or not your like works....who the hell cares, really? You probably won't even get it back anyway.

B-4 u reply ... keep in mind ... the OP is in the UK ... OK .
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

Move?

Give up on having a tool that is suitable for self defense?

Hire a body guard?

Get training in hand to hand combat?

Get the laws changed?

let's stay on topic before this thread gets closed for straying into the self defense arena again

i still think a L2M with the MC-E might be a good in the face light.
    Why are all the contestants in Miss Universe only from Earth?

Enlightened

I'm in Australia and the relevent laws here are much the same as the UK..
    No guns, knives, sprays, batons or stun devices.

I recently started a thread about being bailed up by a guard dog, looking to get some answers but the discussion went off on a tangent about killing dogs etc and it was rightly closed down by the moderators.

Anyway, as a result of that, I began looking around and found No nonsense self defense - an extensive site that strongly stresses avoidance and awareness of the legal consequences should you decide to fight.

Their advice is to make a call as to whether you are going to just be mugged, or whether an assault is about to happen. I know that for a woman, the situation can change quickly, and is never that clear.

If it is just a mugging, give them the dummy purse you have in your bag (the real one is safely out of sight on your person). Make sure it has enough money to be the minimum they might expect you to carry.

If it's a fight, the best legal weapon for EDC is a light about the size of a 2AA maglite. When clenched in the fist, the light protrudes a little out each end, forming a legal Koppo stick. You will need to do some training in advance if this is going to be of any use.

That's about all you're allowed to do in Oz or the UK..
    TK40, L1D / L2D, 4C Maglite / Terralux drop-in, LED Lenser Police Tech Focus, 35w HID (Chinese), Assorted DX cheapies...

Flashaholic

Wow. I'm surprised at the number of people being spectacularly unhelpful.

Some of them do have a point, though. If she carries a flashlight, it's primary use is probably not going to be as a weapon, so giving her some custom wonderlight with 3 minutes of runtime is really kind of pointless. Any "tactical" flashlight is going to give her enough light to invoke the "I'm actually the police, so leave me alone" defense, so you might as well pick one that could be useful for everyday tasks, as well.

In this case, I'd go with a single CR123A light. Yes, AAs are ubiquitous, but if you want a reasonable shelf-life and leak resistance, you have to use 1.7V lithium AAs, which are quite expensive (even online), so you might as well go for the more compact CR123A-based lights.

This is one of the few cases where I would actually recommend the Quark Tactical UI (both modes pre-set by you to max/med?), because almost anyone can understand and remember "head tight for bright, head loose for low", so she'll be able to use it normally without blinding herself, but can keep the head tight the rest of the time. Another plus in this case is that the programming mode is almost impossible to get into by accident, so she won't end up with a light stuck in programming mode when she needs it.

Another light that would fit the exact same usage pattern would be the EagleTac P10C (and, there is no programming required or even possible with this one).

My first thought was the NiteCore Extreme, but it's far too easy to accidentally get into programming mode for either setting. Any light where button-pushing changes levels is out, because Murphy guarantees that it will end up in low during any stressful situation.

Also, regarding the "wasp spray" that people keep suggesting: I seem to remember reading a few years back that someone in London was successfully prosecuted for carrying oven spray "as a weapon", so I don't think your wasp spray will escape notice... (OMG chemical weapons!!!!)

ok guys and gals, powerful flashlights can be used as a defensive/escape weapon, but there is a right way to accomplish this goal.

Please have a look at the VIDEO on this page, before you end up in jail....

http://www.brite-strike.com/Lightning_Strike.html

This shows you the proper way to use a flashlight for self defense....

ignore the flashlights they sell because they're over priced, but please look at the video.

-Doug

Flashaholic*

The idea of command presence is a useful one to instail but the "attackers" in that video all seem more compliant than most I've ever dealt with.

LOL yeah that attacker is probably her husband.

I was considering getting my girlfriend this thing
    http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/st...lashlight.html

but knowing her, she'd leave it on by mistake, and stick her hand in her purse, and down she'd go..

Flashaholic*

Now that's a true multimode light...........

Has no-one here ever been to a proper party?
    Having spent hundreds of hours at parties with bright lights and banging beats, I can't see how a strobing hand torch is much of a deterrent. Little surefire hardly counts as bright compared to some 1000x watt set-ups I've rigged. People dance in front of them no problem.
    Unless she's a great singer or gonna beatbox and convince would-be attacker to dance with her instead, then by all means bring out the little flashy lights!
    Last edited by Linger; 01-29-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    Installing Quantum Tunneling Composite (QTC) into M@glite Solitare