• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Loc-Line flexible Tripod Stalk

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

Over the years, I have found all kinds of applications for using Loc-Line hose and most of these have been for low voltage fixed lighting. I have designed and had a number of custom Loc-Line fixtures and components in this vein.

One component I have had in mind for a number of years finally came to be. It is an anodized aluminum (6061) connector that provides a female 1/4"x20 thread at the end of a section of Loc-Line. By putting one of these at each end of the Loc-Line you essentially have a flexible tripod extension. Adding a socket set screw to one of the connector provides both male and female genders.

DSC_3564.jpg

In the photo above you can see a stalk assembly as well as a loose connector and 1/2" long set screw. The connector is not tapped completely through so there is a stop for the 1/4"x20 screw. The pilot hole does go all the way through so the thread depth could be extended with a tap if the need was there.

The pic below shows a couple ideas and applications for this tripod stalk

DSC_3552.jpg

In the example showing the Sapphire light, I removed the connector from the one end and slipped a section of 1/2" vinyl tubing over the loc-line and the sapphire is pressed into this tubing for a secure mount.

In the image below, I used a rubber clamp that I got somewhere, sometime ago, mounted to one end of the tripod stalk. This clamp will hold any light with a 1" OD section.

DSC_3563.jpg

In the photo below, the SF Titan screws directly to the male end of the tripod stalk and I drilled a hole through the utility clamp and secured it to the other end of the tripod stalk with a 1/4"x20 screw.

DSC_3565.jpg

At some point, I want to consolidate some of the other Loc-Line custom connectors as well as get a few other ideas and components gathered together in a reasonable and more comprehensive "system" of gizmos. It just requires, time, money, focus and motivation; all of which I seem to be lacking in. :)

In the mean time, if any of you guys are interested in one of these tripod stalks, I can turn this thread into an offering with the standard line of how to order and such. I figure $20 plus postage would be the price.

The assembly would consist of 10 ea. of the Loc-Line hose sections, a socket - socket connector and 2 ea. of the aluminum 1/4"x20 connectors. One of the connectors will have a removable set screw in it. Basically the assembly is that shown in the first image above but not including the loose third connector or second set screw.

There are all kinds of the little desk top tripods to be had at reasonable prices and with so many of the small digital point and shoot cameras, there may be a market for this tripod stalk. For those of us wanting or using a flexible stalk for hands free flashlight mount, with the addition of some type of flashlight holder, this stalk can be used in such a manner. Somewhere in Berkeley I have a bunch of magnets I bought years ago that would serve easily as a magnetic base for these stalks. Obviously at this point, many of these applications and ideas would require a DIY approach to a completed assembly and I welcome any ideas or examples to be shared here in the thread.

A priority for me is a flashlight mount similar to the one shown above holding the SunDrop and before I go to the trouble of designing one and paying for a mold, I would like to see if I can find a ready made solution.

EDIT See post #17 for info on these now being offered - Thanks! :bow:

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

If the stalk is straight, at a 45° angle, about how much mass can the Loc-Line resist before it starts drooping?

I could definitely go for one, possibly more depending on the answer.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be up for one please Don.

I am going to order an AA pack once you post the sales thread. Maybe you could ship them together?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ray,
I don't know how much weight the stalk can handle. A full size SLR will capsize it I am certain.

London Lad,
No problem on including a stalk with another order.

fyrstormer

Banned
HELL YES. Finally I'll be able to use my Tasklight Two the way it was intended!

Regarding the grippy flashlight holder, what about basing your design on something like this? It should just require a threaded puck to expand the 1/4" stud you've already created to fit whatever size threading this grip uses:

McSDsetup.jpg

The setup belongs to Keissling. If you asked really nicely, I bet he'd tell you what components he used. ;)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think that is a mic holder there. The fork and eye as well as swivel are unnecessary with the Loc-Line but I agree it is a cool clamp itself.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested, and will probably request one along with a 2AA Pak tomorrow as well.

I'm chuckling at the possibilities (and looks) of this stalk mated to a Gorillapod.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely interested, Don. Especially if someone can find a source for clamping our McGizmos :crackup: (no pun intended). This would be a really cool flashlight / desklight / camping light stand! :thumbsup: I could definitely picture myself using this in the future.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
HELL YES. Finally I'll be able to use my Tasklight Two the way it was intended!

Regarding the grippy flashlight holder, what about basing your design on something like this? It should just require a threaded puck to expand the 1/4" stud you've already created to fit whatever size threading this grip uses:

McSDsetup.jpg

The setup belongs to Keissling. If you asked really nicely, I bet he'd tell you what components he used. ;)

Yes, a mic stand. Nothing special.
bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dom,
Those clamps look like a great idea and I like the price! I suspect one could be successful with crutch tips and round table leg boots in coming up with a mount for flashlights as well.

I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment with some builds and the introduction wave of the 2xAA McClickie paks. Some of you have requested a tripod stalk or two with your orders of other stuff and I am honoring those requests and including the tripod stalks at a cost of $20/ stalk. Until I get my act together and turn this thread into an official offering, don't let that stop you if you wish to get a tripod stalk or two.

dom

Enlightened
Hi Don
Will wait till you're ready for mass production of these
before putting an order in as don't
want you to be snowed under :)

Unless you have 5 off lying around! hehe.

Cheers
Dom

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Loc-Line flexible Tripod Stalk (offering)

Dom (and others),

If you want one or more of these, you can send me an e-mail with tripod stalk in the subject line and your mailing address in the body of the e-mail along with a clear indication of the quantity you seek. The price is $20/ stalk and the priority mail or international priority mail is additional. I will respond with a postage notification e-mail and the total will be in the subject line. My PP address is the same e-mail address as linked above.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My stalk arrived today and I couldn't be happier. Thx, Don!

Last edited: