Why on earth do I love batteries...

computerpro3

Newly Enlightened
I came here looking for a decent flashlight on the recommendation from another forum, and I did get one that I am very happy with. But for some very strange reason, the section I read the most is this battery section!

Since coming here, I've only bought three lights (only one niche one) - a quark mini AA, lowes black friday 3D Mag and taskforce.

On the other hand, I can't stop buying batteries. I bought AW 14500's, 40 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, 16 AA Eneloops, 8 AAA eneloops, and tons of random alkaline primaries. I even bought a Pila IBC, Maha C9000, Sanyo MQN06U. I bought Deal Extreme portable battery holders, and a tacklebox for storing them in my room. I have dedicated storage bins in my car, bedroom, and office.

I find the science behind each different type of chemistry fascinating, and have spent hours learning all about them. At first, I tricked myself into thinking that "I was just doing it to be prepared in case of emergency", but I'm pretty sure that I passed that point when I started buying Ultimate Lithiums in bulk. Finally, I told myself that I was going to stop, but I caught myself browsing the AW battery thread, lusting after 18650's even though I have no 18650 lights :oops:

What's wrong with me?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's anything wrong with having an interest in batteries. Since my basic changeover to rechargeable cells, in the early eighties (to NiCds, from alkalines), I have had a keen interest in all types of batteries.

The performance of anything powered by a battery, is dependent on the quality, it's condition, and how well it is matched to the application. I would imagine, for example, that the members who hang out on this Forum are likely to have better performing lights, than the general CPF membership. Just because a light is capable of 200 lumens OTF, doesn't mean that's what your light output is, unless the battery, or cell is of reasonable quality, is matched to the application, has been maintained properly, and is in good health.

The main reason I hang out here, more than the other sections of CPF like I used to, is to try and save some money! The "Buy both" syndrome and various custom light offerings, were costing me a fortune! I'll say it has helped, although you can still spend quite a bit of money, as you have found out. So far, I've managed to keep my purchases (lights included) to <$1000/yr, something I was unable to do before. :)

Dave

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also love batts......if i can use a rechargeable instead of a non rechargeable just means to me that i have saved some money......

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me nawwww.....just more like a waste of money for me......i do keep a stash though for emergency and blackout usage.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it's not about saving money per se. Its about not thinking about money while using my lights. Primaries make me try to be frugal, regardless of the runtime and cost comparisons; it must be the many years of expensive batteries with crappy runtime lights. Rechargeables make me want to use my lights more often and for longer times.

:duh2:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look i was tired when i posted mine.......i also agree with Phaserburn, i tend to use my lights more and more when i have rechargeables.....and as for alkies go they suck on runtime and light output. Dont get me wrong, there good in some devices like clocks and remotes its just that i tend to spend more on HQ batts.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Well i guess I'll Climb in this boat.:sssh:

I also have a thing for batteries, since coming here fours years ago i bet over 50 lights have come and went. Most I still have.

But batteries are a problem. I would guess right now I have over 200 cells lying around. But I use mainly Duraloops for AA's and RCR123's.

But hey, The power could be out for a year and Id be the only light on the block. My sister calls my house the light house on the corner because lights shine out my windows at random. :twothumbs

Im sure this is a common problem around here.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is....because im the same way....when we have brownouts thats when all the lights come out.......and looking in from the street it looks as if we still have power.

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Batteries :3 As much as i hate them i wan't to oreder some 14500s even tho i dont ahve any AA size flashlights on em t this time :D But i wanna get an AA light. And some eneloops for it too, just to be sure :)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it's not about saving money per se. Its about not thinking about money while using my lights. Primaries make me try to be frugal, regardless of the runtime and cost comparisons;
Same here. Before I got into rechargeables, a lot of my lights were only tested to make sure they were OK. Now I actually use them.

Rechargeables give guilt free lumens, which is even better for lights that have a healthy appetite for batteries.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's wrong with me?

I don't know. Most of us flashaholics see batteries as a means rather than an end. I think most flashaholics get a decent education on battery technology when getting into this hobby, but on the entertainment side of it, a battery just is not as much fun as a light. So I don't know what is wrong with you, do you collect spoons too? :nana:

Conte

Enlightened
Does it make you sad to throw away primaries?

Rechargeables are like a way of being more green to me.
The idea that billions of people are just tossing these into our landfills is somewhat depressing to think about.

I to have a passion for batteries of all kinds. Only rechargables though.
Wont' get to into detail. But you're not alone, except for the buying batteries you dont' need thing, lol.

I get a kick out of figuring out how to run ordinary devices off extraordinary devices.

I have one of those electric vaporizer cigarettes, comes with this tiny little li-ion battery, yeah, I've since rigged it to a couple of IMR's.

One reason why I love Lifepo4 cells, more usable for such things.
I bought a pair of LiFe cells just to try one day. Ended up buying 4 more.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
Along with the other comments about rechargeables, I really like that I can have the light I intend to use fully charged and task ready. With primaries in a light it is easy to lose track of where you are in the life cycle of the battery. I find myself often pulling a partially used primary battery and putting a new one in the light just so that I know I won't need to reload while in the field. This leads to a lot of partially used primaries scattered about my house. With rechargables I always start the walk with my light at peak with predictable run-times to follow.

So yes, I love batteries too! I think my wife was recently shocked by how pleased I was too find a 2-pak of makita battery packs on the cheap. Pulling out 20 new IMR type 18650's it was hard to contain myself. :D

cckw

Newly Enlightened
Same with me. I think my thing is from growing up poor and having "do without" (a phrase I heard way too many times as a child) So I want good lights and other gear. And clearly the flashlight and other things depend on the batteries and they are the weak point. And I do not want to do without, so want to know everything possible and have back-ups.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I see wrong with you is that you don't have a dedicated shelf or drawer in the refrigerator to store your NiMHs and Li-Ions.