Xeray 250 Watt HID Flashlight Project Discussions

BVH

Flashaholic
Seems appropriate to start a new thread unique to an HID project that Dan has talked about. By starting this thread, I'm not implying that a light will or won't be produced. This is just a place to talk about it if and when there is anything to talk about. Here's a copy of his post in another thread:

"We are working on a 250 watt HID (metal Halide, not short arc Xenon) to run on 24/28 VDC, over 22,000 lumens bulb output. We will be using a premium quality Electroformed reflector on this project. 6 or 8 inches (preferred) diameter reflector. It is also hot restrikeable. This project should be "ready for primetime" within 6 months. The testing we have done so far, it very obviously lights up the mountainside well over 1.5 miles away. No vision enhancement needed to see it with the naked eye".

This sounds very exciting!

DM51

Flashaholic
Good idea to start a new thread about this - it was off-topic in the other thread.

Here are the other responses to XeRay's post in that thread:

Dan, will this be an aircraft oriented light or something "portable" ish?
Likely BOTH.
Dan
thats why you guys forgot about the barnburner huh? gonna make the barnburner look like a candle... lol
Only 22000 lumens?........ what grade of plutonium are you using?
Sounds like a very exciting development from XeVision!

liteitup

Newly Enlightened
why.... why??? .... if this comes out all my current hid projects are going to be antiquated... haha

would love to see some more details on this light. cough... cough...

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
why.... why??? .... if this comes out all my current hid projects are going to be antiquated... haha

would love to see some more details on this light. cough... cough...

Sorry, you will have to wait a while for that. :popcorn:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The testing we have done so far, it very obviously lights up the mountainside well over 1.5 miles away. No vision enhancement needed to see it with the naked eye

I'm stumped how that kind of range is able to be accomplished without a high luminance short arc lamp. Is it some sort of hybrid type HID lamp?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm stumped how that kind of range is able to be accomplished without a high luminance short arc lamp. Is it some sort of hybrid type HID lamp?

With a high (premium Mil.spec) quality reflector and coatings and good collumation it is quite easy. The arc is larger than a Xenon short arc. The BB and the Mule both reach out 0.5-0.75 mile easily with about 8000 lumens. Just imagine, with a premium reflector, 6 or 8 inches in diameter and 22,000 bulb Lumens.

The right bulb is very important to this project, not giving out that info at this point.

I am sure others will "chime in" here regarding your question.

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any general hints about size/weight. How about size/type of battery. How many amps being pulled. Just curious, not looking to copy :eek:

I know your chomping at the bit to do another group buy :sick2:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tuff crowd
ScoutsHonor.gif

headlesslp3.jpg

laughing7.gif

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well, you certainly tried Bob. I guess we'll all know more in August. In the meantime we could each post our home videos of dark energy here. :D

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, a reasonable ETA would be helpful for savings etc, otherwise few will be able to participate in a group buy in a timely manner since the time frame of GB's are usually limited.

Also approx weight would be helpful to know if it will be a viable option for a portable light, otherwise we save for naught if being easily portable is a major factor.

22000 lumens alone seems feasible.... but it will take a respectable battery bank to power that if any reasonable runtime is to be expected... that means weight!

We are talking close to 3 times the lumens of the BB and the Mule, if that means 3 times the weight, it would be good to know.

petersmith6

Enlightened
would sugest a back pack mounted power pack,it would be alot more comftable to carry for any duration.also it would be a simple task to swap power packs and be up and running in seconds rather than waiting to charge.also if you use 24volt input it would be compatible with many militry vehicle electrics..just a thought.

Last edited:

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, looks like I picked a great time to start visiting the forum again. Dan, any rough estimate as to price on this bad boy?