Backup Battery Power for a Bike

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

this question is about the needs of a friend of mine...

He has a year old bike (a BMW 600GS with the Rotax engine) and he is concerned with electrical power dependability....He uses his bike mainly for short excursions in our mountain, taking dirt roads that are most time passenger car capable too...

As I said he is scared of the battery failing (getting low) and having an immobilized bike... So he is searching for alternate ways to start the bike.

What I have said to him is that this is not a big concern..he sould be scared of total battery failure instead (broken elements connection).

So the best option – I feel – is a second battery carried in the luggage cases...
I forgot to tell that he already has a Genuine BMW Battery Charger/Analyzer (and an expensive one too)....So he can charge any stand alone battery too...

So what is left is to find a way to put the backup battery in....

1. the bike has an 12V outlet and I have seen car emergency chargers that use this, but can it handle the startup current? I know for a fact that the car circuit is spec'ed up to 10A, but something tells me that this is too low for startup.

2. Install both batteries and use a special switch...have seen them on jeeps and excursion vehicles. But this is difficult, expensive AND definitely violates the BMW policy and guarantee.

3. Learn to change the battery himself...the bike manual already furnishes instruction for it so this might save his guarantee too...

Then another issue arises...What battery?

Would he served by a SLA battery or he has to resort to a regular bike battery?

And at what Ah rating? He gave me the impression that the original batt is rather big for a motorbike, and will not fit in the cases....A smaller one means a lower rating and will that be enough for several tried at startup?

There must be experts here since we are an active lot, so what are your suggestions....

Also what other bike-related emergency items are usefull? I can cover him very well on personal kits but none on bike related...

And ending...

while not a fan of larger lights, he EDC one or two Kaidomain AAA lights (gen Ii & V)

thanks all, kostas