CMG Ultra Mods...

Drew66

Newly Enlightened
Hi all...newbie here. I did a search but could not find anything in regards to the following qustion...

Just wanted to ask if anyone has removed the anodizing from the aluminum that forms the bezel on the CMG
Ultra. Seems that shiny aluminum would reflect more than dark olive drab anodizing. If someone has done this
I would love to see the beam comparison to the original CMG Ultra.

Thanks...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, Yep...it`s been done. To me it seems to increase the brightness of the surround beam...but not the center. So I don`t think the increase would show up on a meter. Either way it is not a night day diff. I was surprised when CMG came out with the Ultra...and decided to anodise the refector area...guess it`s cheaper.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I de-anodized the reflector on my Ultra-G. A slight increase as Ken said. It makes the flashlight look more like a normal(?) one, without a colored reflector. IMO, it's not worth the effort.

Max

Enlightened
I tried scraping it off with sandpaper. Not such a good idea. I end up scratching the LED a bit too. Also not such a good idea, except the beam is a bit smoother now. I then painted the scraped part with Liquid Paper. That worked pretty well. Then I painted over the Liquid Paper with a few coats of glow paint. Now that's pretty cool!

Drew66

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input...guess I will leave well enough alone. Was hoping it would really improve things...strange
that it doesn't.

StuU

Enlightened
I scraped off the bezel of a standard Infinity white. It seemed to make a major difference in the usability of the light. Bezel looks all scratchy but it's worth it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Maybe you could paint on the liquid paper without bothering trying to remove the anodizing underneath. Or use white model airplane enamel, which might blob up less than the liquid paper.