Help me decide if I really need another light.

pahl

Enlightened
I try and buy lights that are useful to me. Not something that's just going to sit around on the shelf and collect dust. I'm not sure what to get next if anything.

This is what I have so far.

E1-GM:
This is my fishing light. I wear it around my neck and clip it to my cap.

E2e-HA:
This has become my EDC light

G2-BK with G2Z bezel:
I'm going to put a P61 in this and use it on the weekend well fishing and camping when I need something with more power.

G2-BK: This one is in the mail yet. This one will get used by my wife and son when they ask for a light because I'm not giving them my E2e-HA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It seems as if I have all the lights I really need.

or do I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems you like Surefire. If so, why not an L4? I use mine everyday. It has a nice flood white beam. Good dependable runtime, and has no bulbs to replace. I highly recommend it.

If your willing to stray away from Surefire, what about an Arc LS, Blaster VI, or live large with a SNII! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need an L4, but be prepared because it will ruin you for using your other lights. The wall of light it puts out is incredible! There really isn't anything else like it. You will still need at least one of your incandescents as a long "throw" light though. You haven't seen a "white" light until you click on an L4 (even if you have one with a green tint). The E2e beam is a sickly looking yellow by comparison.

Peter

Monsters_Inc

Banned
You do *NEED* another light - a rechargeable. Looks like you've started a nice Surefire collection, why not investigate the Surefire 8AX/NX or 9AN models?

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Monsters_Inc said:
You do *NEED* another light - a rechargeable. Looks like you've started a nice Surefire collection, why not investigate the Surefire 8AX/NX or 9AN models?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 8NX was my first Surefire. The one that started it all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I sold it because it was a little to bright for my everyday need and as often as I really use a light that bright I did not think it would be good for the rechargeable batteries to be sitting around not being used.

The 110 lums was really nice on the 8NX and I'm going to get a P61 to put in one of my G2 so I can use it as I used the 8NX.

I'm still not sold on the LED's, but I'm sure hearing a lot about the L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yea, you definately need an Arc-AAA too. It's the ultimate keychain light! If you can swing it an Arc LS is hard to beat at the current sale pricing. It just might make you re-evaluate your EDC, it's considerably smaller size makes it much easier to carry. I just got my first one, and while not as bright as the L4 (1W vs. 5W) I am simply amazed at the amount of bright, white light this little tiny thing can throw!

Peter

pahl

Enlightened
I could see were a 10x would be more useful and more fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif then another pocket size light.

But they are way out of my price range.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, myself, always try to categorize what I need in a light:

-throw
-night vision-sparing
-brightness
-long runtime
-small size
-rugged club-size
-rechargeable
-impact resistant
-waterproof/weatherproof
-plastic or aluminum
-spotlight/searchlight

Just some things I would separate my lights into if I ever need to sort them out to specific usages or applications...

RY3

Enlightened
Do you need a flashlight to use up all those batteries out from your SF?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the 6R, or getting a 6P and the conversion, or the 9P (or whatever it's called now), and the parts to make it rechargeable. It would give you 6P brightness (65lumen) with the ability to use it much more since you don't have to worry about the batteries.

F

Flashlight_OCD

Ha! What kind of question is that? You need some POWER!

You need a C3, an M6 and a new L4. That should do it for a while.

Greg

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The short answer is (YES!) of course you do but you first need to tell us what you need to light up. Then we can give you opinions and you can narrow it down to a few lights then we will tell you to buy all of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, here are two flashlights you definitely need.

First, a headlamp. For some reason, for years I avoided getting a headlamp, despite knowing that for camping and any other number of uses, a hands-free light is by far the best solution. I have a Princeton Tec Aurora, which has 3 LEDs run by 3AAA and is adjustable and dimmable, but you might also look at any number of great lights that are out or coming out. I think the Aurora and its ilk are so great because it's got the right amount of light for a head-mounted light, and when I need more light, I can usually just use a xenon handheld.

Second, you need a rechargeable. I avoided these for years as well, just because my experience with rechargeable batteries has been so bad. Well, ever since I got my FBOP Tigerlight, that's changed. It's way brighter than any of the lights you have, runs for a long time and self-discharge is nice and low. I use it constantly, since I know it's rechargeable. Even if I don't need a very bright light, I grab my Tigerlight and just use the corona to see by! A good rechargeable will kind of set you free.

I'd also suggest you look at a good 1W LS light. You'll find it way way more useful than your E1, I bet -- I know I did, in fact my E1 is permanently retired because of it. LS will be as bright or brighter than the E1, have a much more useful beam pattern, can be found in regulated lights, and has the ruggedness of an LED. Plus, as RY asks about, this light will use up your partially-used batteries from your Surefires. I feed my Arc LS a strict diet of partially-used E2/M2/M4 batteries, so the Arc is essentially free to run. Your E1 with KL1 would be the same way.

Joe

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
You may as well spring for the 10X and be done with it now!
Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is so much truth in that statement, I've worked through the Surefire progression where my collections is approaching the size of Al's [well maybe not quite that large /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif] and if I had it all to do over again I would have only bought:

E2e
G2 [for others to borrow]
L4
M3
M6

There were several intermediate steps I could have skipped and saved some money. I think my point is if you have the money available then go for the best and skip the compromises ... you'll save money in the long run.

Haven't got to the 10x yet, but there is time.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Aurora! It is cheap and a very good light. It weighs practically nothing and is very useful for reading of doing work up close. Also, get the ARc LSH-P, you won't regret it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

F

Flashlight_OCD

FlashlightOCD

Sorry I unknowingly picked a screen name virtually the same as yours (Flashlight_OCD) I will pick another to prevent confusion.

Greg R