Panasonic BQ-390

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
At my local Futureshop they have a BQ-390 with some LSD cells for $22 CAD. It's open box so the cells may not be 100% but the charger claims to be smart, has cut-off, individual bays, temperature sense and so it caught my attention. I don't do a ton of AA so swinging the money for a Maha 9000 is a little much, is this one a decent choice?
http://www.panasonic.ca/English/batteries/batteries_chargers/chargers/BQ390.asp

LeifUK

Enlightened
Post deleted. Reason: I have a BQ392! Sorry.

Last edited:

PeAK

Enlightened
... claims to be smart, has cut-off, individual bays, temperature sense and so it caught my attention. I don't do a ton of AA so swinging the money for a Maha 9000 is a little much, is this one a decent choice?

It seems to be well specified. Another newer charger that has generated some interest in another post is the BQ-C01 or BQ-CC01

Last edited:

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 of these. Never had a problem with them and I use them a lot. I have charged cells from 1200 to 2700 mah and now mostly eneloops.
These work as described by you and they do not overheat your cells at all while putting a good charge into them. The are the smallest charger I can find, so great for travel. Takes about 3-4 hours to recharge cells. I can find them in the US but they seem to be all over Canada. One thing I wish they did was trickle charge but they do not.
Rob

mxelement

Newly Enlightened
I've had the same exact charger, Panasonic BQ-390, since December 2005 so 4-5 years and this was my primary charger for all my NiMH/Ni-Cd batteries over the years.

I cannot say enough at how reliable and great it has been over the years and you will have no issues with this charger. I think it did like 550mA x4 and all the slots were individual so you could charge a single cell at a time....Would never get hot but just warm.

All in all, its a great charger and while I don't use it anymore (gave it to my sister) I imagine it'll see more years of usage without problems. Thing is built like a tank, I've put it through some heavy usage.

vali

Enlightened
Should we start a new thread listing the recommended chargers (aka charge single cells, reliable termination...) like the one about lubes in the general section?

Opinions?

And sorry for the OT :p

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to add that it runs on 120 or 240? volts for foreign countries.
It can also charge one or two AAA batteries also.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys, I went ahead and picked it up. It's charging a set of duraloops right now :party: