London UK get together

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
See post #152 for details of next meeting

Just trying to gauge the interest here. Would anyone come to a central London get together? I know there are lots of London CPFer's around so I figure if we arrange a meeting somewhere in central London close to a tube station, we should be able to get the maximum number of people.

I won't set a time or place until we get enough interest.

I spent last year in Toronto attending regular CPF meetings (check out the GTA thread) and was thinking that we should do something similar here although I'm not sure how well it would work in the UK. About once a month, a bunch of us would meet up at Starbucks, talk about lights for a while then head out for a walk round the park at night which was perfectly safe. Does anyone with a with a good knowledge of central London know a place where we could do this? i.e. a place where we wouldn't come across chavs or drug addicts?

Interest list:
monkeyboy :tinfoil:

Nyctophiliac +1 :tinfoil:
tx101 :tinfoil:
Raoul_Duke
Jay R :tinfoil:
orb (possible +1) :tinfoil:
Essexman :tinfoil:
London Lad (maybe)
Blue Led :tinfoil:
Hammer Train (maybe)

Tallnhairydave +1 :tinfoil:
meganoggin+1 :tinfoil:
brunt _sp :tinfoil:

Date/time: Saturday Feb 27th 4pm.

UPDATE: Time changed to 4pm

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds great to me! Depending on the date, of course (which has scuppered me for both of the previous UK get-togethers...), but a London-based meet would suit me well.

I don't know London all that well, but I'll have a think about a location. A Starbucks sounds like as good a starting point as any, though.

I like the idea, thanks for the thread :)

Regards,
Tempest

etherealshade

Enlightened
My work doesn't often give me enough time to leave London, so I'd be interested. Don't know much about the parks around at night, but I could look into it.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes please. Very interested.

I know of a couple of others in the area. I'll PM them.

Any part of London you're thinking of? Hampstead Heath is always open - Spaniards Inn for food and meet? Or Horsenden Hill in Perivale - Car Park is shut after dark but the Ballot Box pub is just down the Hill. Primrose Hill? Grand Union Canal towpath? Even Hyde Park is open until midnight nice and central? Though quite a few people there even after dark.

There must be loads of places to go.

Nice idea, monkeyboy.

As for safety - imagine the scenario: If thugs attracted by the lights in the sky make threatening moves imagine how aggressive they might be after several thousand Lumens of our lights all pointed at them at once? Anyway - not had any problems cycling in London Parks at night, yet... I think the bright lights actually keep people away.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in :party::party::party:

Anytime, anywhere in London

@ Nyctophiliac, thanks for the heads-up :thumbsup:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
YES!!!!!!!

I would love to come to a CPF London meet!!!

Shift dependant of course, I work a 2 week on 2 week off 2 week on 4 week off rotation, so I hope the dates match up!!!...and I'm not on a course somewhere. Last two dates / locations ruled out the meet ups for me.

I dont know the more spacious areas where we could go...but there must be loads.

Prehaps letting the local bobbys know when we do plan to light up the neigbour hood, just so they are informed...but I see no issues to a well planned meet.

Only 3 hours away for me...I'd have a lot of stuff to bring down!!!

When I used to collect pocket knives, we used to go to pubs...( arranged in advance) and they would usually have a private room, and a bar :D so we could all look at the stuff in comfort, so that may be a concideration, and then out at night when it gets dark

:party:

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raoul - good point about Police - especially if we decide to go anywhere near Regent's Park or Hyde Park. Lots of VIPs in those areas.

Be good to have this meeting before it gets too light in the evenings.

Let's see how the OP feels.

Great!

Tx101 - you're welcome!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
London - Where the hell is that? :thinking:

:whistle:

Somewhere near the tube sounds good, I'd just have to make sure I don't miss the last train home!

TX101 - I hope you have a big rucksac for all those maglites?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, I wasn't expecting such a fast response. It looks promising so far. We'll try to set a date that will accommodate the most people possible.

I'm pretty much up for anywhere in london as long as its near public transport. I don't know London that well as I just moved here but all those suggestions sound good nyctophiliac. Hampstead Heath sounds good as it's wooded and near tube and train stations but let's avoid the public toilets (I heard stories). I guess you're right that hyde/regents park may cause too much suspicion with the police. We should be safe enough as long as there's enough of us and we don't go around pointing our lights at people.

I hope that northern line closures won't screw up our plans (I'm at collier's wood).

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be best, a Friday night so's that the people that work in London could hang about after work or a Saturday night so's that those of us outside London could make a day trip of it ???

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be there. :cool:
Where can I pitch my tent? :crackup:
Look forward to more details.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Friday night or a Saturday would be good for me. Perhaps a slight preference for the Saturday as I don't actually live in London.

More importantly...what lights to bring?!

Regards,
Tempest

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
More importantly...what lights to bring?!

Eh ! All of them of course.
naughty.gif

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I'd be there. :cool:
Where can I pitch my tent? :crackup:
Look forward to more details.

We can find a pitch, and If you are missing any tent poles I can lend you some V-long maglites, I hope your tarp is fire proof though :candle:

It would be nice if we meet with a car park close by also as I'm not humping all my stuff down on the train. :sick2:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the idea of a tent using Maglites as poles. Appeals to my sense of the absurd.

Are we thinking of having the meet outdoors? Brrr.

I quite liked the idea of meeting up in a cosy pub and having an ooh and aaah session with everyones torches, then going out into the dark and frightening the foxes/geese/owls/joggers etc.

How about this - there's a pub in Hampstead called 'The Freemason's Arms' It's just off the East Heath Road and the Heath itself. Normally quite a popular pub, but quite large and I used to go there loads ( Long time ago - Marriage career and kids ago ). But there is a car park on the Heath near it, and the great expanse of Heathy Goodness just over the road - quite a few restaurants in that area too. It is a more approachable part of the Heath and will not be deserted.

Very easy to meet and display - have a drink and a bite then shine out over the Heath.

Or we could go to the top of the Heath near the Vale of Health - bit of a bigger walk to a pub since 'Jack Straws castle' has been converted into flats, but nice views and much more deserted - impossible to park I would think.

I'm sure there is a UK CPFer who is a policeman - can't remember his username but I think he is in Kent - maybe he might have an idea how to do this in London. Maybe he'd come?

Any ideas on dates? I would think Saturdays are best for this.

Of the lights to bring - just all the ones you like!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, let's set the location to Hampstead heath unless there are any objections. I don't know the area at all so I'll let someone else decide on where exactly we should meet.

I guess the requirements would be:
- near a tube station (within walking distance)
- preferably with car parking nearby
- not too busy
- away form the sat night drunken mobs
- large enough to accommodate us

Since people seem interested in a weekend meet, sat or sunday would be ideal as people can come earlier and get home before the last train. It gets dark pretty early so that won't be a problem. I'm thinking we should try to arrange this sooner rather than later as there's no point dragging it out.

So what dates can people make out of these?
Feb 20th, 21st, 27th, 28th Mar 6th, 7th

I'd prefer Feb 20th/21st

etherealshade

Enlightened
The 20th/21st wouldn't be much good for me, my work schedule conflicts pretty heavily. :shrug: Any of the other dates would be okay I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.