Cytac 18650 charger are they any good /

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for another charger and found a Cytac seller in the UK ... I tried a search on CPF for Cytac and found nothing useful ... So, has anyone got one or tried one ?.

I can't justify the cost of a Pila either imported (too much duty) or UK sourced (expensive).

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've Googled for Cytac and have found pictures but no specifications other than they charge at either 500mA or 600mA depending on the advert ... They just look like some of the others that are on Ebay at low prices ... Maybe the Cytac are rebadged cheapies ... So are Cytac any good, or would you recommend an Ultrafire or Trustfire or some other modestly priced charger ... It is for 18650 cells only.

I don't want to spend nearly £50 including postage for a Pila IBC bought in the UK... Also if it is imported and above £18 in value there are UK import duties plus VAT plus a tax collection fee to pay ... This can double the price ... I have been caught out twice with this and don't want to get done again.

I only want a reliable 18650 charger that will cut off at 4.2 volts and will charge at a decent rate ... There are some on Ebay that are very cheap, but do they really work or is it a matter of luck ?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I know it seems like a lot, but in the long run you will probably be better off shelling out for the PILA.

By the time you've bought two or three cheap chargers, ruined a couple of cells and had to replace them, you'll have spent more than the fifty quid anyway. Better to pay out once than in several small goes and end up with a pile of three or four junk chargers.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
I only want a reliable 18650 charger

There are some on Ebay that are very cheap

Two very incompatible statements.

If you want reliable, get a PILA.

If you want to take a risk, have a look at things like the WF-139 or the HXY Digial Li-Ion charger.

I have both and prefer the HXY charger and use that for 18650 charging - 1a per channel and reliable termination at 4.18v every time. I only use the WF-139 to charge RCR123's and 14500's. I'm already on my second WF-139 after the first started making a loud hissing sound so I replaced it with another to be safe.

There will come a point where I've spent more on cheap chargers than one good PILA - I wont be replacing the cheapies again - the money will go into the PILA fund.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trustfire Tr-001
UF - WF 139

They do the job , keep an eye on them at first to see where they terminate .
If your happy with the termination voltage , then :grin2:

My TR-001 has proven to be a good charger
Or check out the SheKor charger ..

Terminates on completion , dual channel . Mine only charges to 4.13v

hazna

Enlightened
Two very incompatible statements.

If you want reliable, get a PILA.

If you want to take a risk, have a look at things like the WF-139 or the HXY Digial Li-Ion charger.

I have both and prefer the HXY charger and use that for 18650 charging - 1a per channel and reliable termination at 4.18v every time. I only use the WF-139 to charge RCR123's and 14500's. I'm already on my second WF-139 after the first started making a loud hissing sound so I replaced it with another to be safe.

The HXY charger looks like the first cytac charger in mdocod's round up.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The HXY charger looks like the first cytac charger in mdocod's round up.

It is the same charger. Though it sounds as though there are many different variations of the charger floating around out there. (they all use a pretty similar circuit, but with minor part/layout changes internally)

FYI: The Pila IBCs true 600mA CC/CV with 50mA termination will charge a cell faster than the "1A" claimed speed of the HXY/6105/cytac/thingamabobber.

I've tested them side by side and the IBC wins.

Eric