Custom 3" C Turbo Head interest and question...

Swagg

Enlightened
Ok so I see guys that have the old Surefire 3" Smooth Turbo Head that rave about them but I can't seem to get my hands on one. So in true CPF fashion I think I'm going to get one built by a friend of mine that does this stuff all day(not for lights of course). He said he can machine anything, even in Ti which he has laying around!

So here is what I need to get started: Since I don't have a 3" turbo head to look at I'm hoping someone on here can give me some basic info. Like what's the depth and angle of the reflector? Basically all the important measurements. I want to have my buddy build a head that is C compatible, we could also make it M compatible and use a C to M adapter, smooth or light stipple, an option of flat and crenellated SS bezel, 3 inch for max throw to work on my Surefire, Leef and FM lights. The head would be Al so we can get HA nat and black done.

Now, if there is some interest he's willing to make a bunch of these. I'm hoping we can get a run of 25 and then go from there. What do ya'll think?

redcar

Enlightened
I might be interested in one, according to price and if the setup would allow the use of standard Surefire bulbs for the M4 and M6.

Redd

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be more interested in a $100 SRTH clone, except with a borofloat window instead of the Lexan (and a removable retaining ring to hold the window in place). A 3" diameter TH is 1.44X larger in circular area than a 2.5" TH. The 3" size most likely will be very inconvenient for any sort of carry, while the 2.5" SRTH is carryable in an outer garment pocket.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interested too.

Where are you based?

I have one of the 3" T heads i can loan you to make the required measurements.

Swagg

Enlightened
Interested too.

Where are you based?

I have one of the 3" T heads i can loan you to make the required measurements.

Man that would be great! I'm in Tulsa and I would pay for shipping of course.

Swagg

Enlightened
I'm thinking we can use LF M bulb assemblies, SF bulb assemblies or FM's bi pin holder. That way it should be pretty unlimited.

I'm open to making a SRTH Clone(if that's higher demand) but I'm leaning toward a little bit more custom look while not wasting space, I don't want this to be needlessly large. Now I need to track down a glass/lens maker...

Swagg

Enlightened
Does anyone know if SF polishes their Pyrex lenses and if so it polished on both sides?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if they're polished, id guess yes.

They are definetely treated on both sides with anti-reflective coating. If you plan to stick as close as possible to the original surefire design, you may want to reconsider using a glass lens.

These turboheads are extremely lightweight in design, made from a single piece of aluminium with the outside annodized and the inside coated with whatever they use for reflector coatings, no separate reflector module as seen in the current KT designs.

A 3" glass lens would have to be fairly thick and heavy, not to mention the additional weight incurred by the retaining ring and threads required. The old style turboheads simply use a press-fit lexan lens.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking we can use LF M bulb assemblies, SF bulb assemblies or FM's bi pin holder. That way it should be pretty unlimited.

I'm open to making a SRTH Clone(if that's higher demand) but I'm leaning toward a little bit more custom look while not wasting space, I don't want this to be needlessly large. Now I need to track down a glass/lens maker...

Give member LED Zeppelin a PM.
I remember him posting that he had some custom M6 lens made

Swagg

Enlightened
Not sure if they're polished, id guess yes.

They are definetely treated on both sides with anti-reflective coating. If you plan to stick as close as possible to the original surefire design, you may want to reconsider using a glass lens.

These turboheads are extremely lightweight in design, made from a single piece of aluminium with the outside annodized and the inside coated with whatever they use for reflector coatings, no separate reflector module as seen in the current KT designs.

A 3" glass lens would have to be fairly thick and heavy, not to mention the additional weight incurred by the retaining ring and threads required. The old style turboheads simply use a press-fit lexan lens.

I meant Pyrex, I think SF uses Pyrex now but not sure what the Turbo Head used...

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
I love the idea of a custom oversized turbohead for M or C series Surefires. :thumbsup: Since the reflector is probably the more specialized part of the head it might be a good idea to start with a reflector and build an oversized turbo-head around it. Machining the head is only one part of the process. One of the advertisers on CPF produces standard and custom reflectors that may be useful.

http://www.phoenixelectroforms.com/parabolic.html

I'm not sure of the overall complexity of this project but I would assume there is a reason why FiveMega charges $193 for one of his custom turboheads. Even assuming he gets a good markup it must not be cheap to produce this type of custom product.

Swagg

Enlightened
I love the idea of a custom oversized turbohead for M or C series Surefires. :thumbsup: Since the reflector is probably the more specialized part of the head it might be a good idea to start with a reflector and build an oversized turbo-head around it. Machining the head is only one part of the process. One of the advertisers on CPF produces standard and custom reflectors that may be useful.

http://www.phoenixelectroforms.com/parabolic.html

I'm not sure of the overall complexity of this project but I would assume there is a reason why FiveMega charges $193 for one of his custom turboheads. Even assuming he gets a good markup it must not be cheap to produce this type of custom product.

That was exactly my thought, focus on the reflector and make the head around that. Thanks for the info!

alantch

Enlightened
Interested in one depending on price. Would prefer it to be M-series compatible which would enable it to be also used on the C/P/Z bodies with the C2M adapter.

Swagg

Enlightened
Interested in one depending on price. Would prefer it to be M-series compatible which would enable it to be also used on the C/P/Z bodies with the C2M adapter.

Yeah I'm leaning this way myself. I would make the adapter to match perfectly so nothing would look out of place, I don't want a frankenstein light!