Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

Default Re: Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

mannnnn those anto drop-ins are SLAMMIN!

the XP-G s2 version is gonna b insane when they're available.

thanks for the tests!!

I still need to stop by ratt shack for some AS 5!

people can hate on it but ima slather my SST drop-in.

the #s dont lie!

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Hey Jose which version Romisen RC-T6 did you test? the DX XRE-Q4 version or the KD XRE-Q5?

I like designs that under drive the LED slightly in favor of cooler running regulated output.

thanks
    hey bro, just a quick question if you don't mind.

i was under the impression that most of the lights tested here like the eagletac m2xc4 are fully regulated unless otherwise specified (dd). yet many of them decreased in output sort of drastically after x minutes and they weren't even pumping out that much lumens for the type of emitter/s they are using. compared to, say, the tk40 which is an overachiever of sorts in terms of brightness yet it holds that brightness, presumably, for the entire regulated runtime.

is this all just heat playing a factor in performance or am i missing something else? thanks.

Banned

It is impossible to do search when the readings are in picture.

I got the new Solarforce XP-G R5 P60 drop-in and it comes with a Smooth Reflector, but the beam is ringy like an R2

Now from my Testing the drop-in doesn't work soo good with a single cell. The input voltage is 4.2v~18, but 2 or 4 cells work best.

Another thing I discovered is that the LumensFactory Seraph 9P type hosts somehow doesn't dissipate heat as well as the 6P.

Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
    It is impossible to do search when the readings are in picture.
    Someone else shares my concerns

Jose sent me a google docs link which I'm using to search for now, but it's going to become outdated fast. We need an updated Google Docs link in the first post
    Light progression: Minimag Incan -> Inova X5 -> Minimag LED -> DX AKOray K-106 -> Solarforce L2p with SST-50 -> DBS V3 with SST-50
    The World's Most Powerful Pocket Thrower

Unenlightened

I have a question about the EagleTac T20C2 XP-G R5 and the EagleTac P20C2 XP-G R5 readings of 15650 and 8250 respectively at Cal 1 meter lux. Were both lights using the smooth reflector or the textured reflector?

Quote Originally Posted by ray2010 View Post
    I have a question about the EagleTac T20C2 XP-G R5 and the EagleTac P20C2 XP-G R5 readings of 15650 and 8250 respectively at Cal 1 meter lux. Were both lights using the smooth reflector or the textured reflector?

both had an OP reflector and while they make similar OTF numbers the bigger reflectored variant made more lux as expected

I now only do 5 meter readings and calculated 1 meter readings for the many reasons already exausted in this site.

bigC, since it's a p60 dropin, try it with other reflectors.

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    bigC, since it's a p60 dropin, try it with other reflectors.

I might as well try your Solarforce XP-G R5 drop-in in Dereelight DBS and TLS 2.5in too. Sorry, but I couldn't resist the temptation of using AS5

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    both had an OP reflector and while they make similar OTF numbers the bigger reflectored variant made more lux as expected

I now only do 5 meter readings and calculated 1 meter readings for the many reasons already exausted in this site.
    It is interesting, that mev did measure completely different numbers. I measured my T20C2 R5 with OP from 4 meters and calculated 1 meter reading is also only around 8000 lux...

I might as well try your Solarforce XP-G R5 drop-in in Dereelight DBS and TLS 2.5in too. Sorry, but I couldn't resist the temptation of using AS5
    no worries. as5 is good in moderation!

Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    It is interesting, that mev did measure completely different numbers. I measured my T20C2 R5 with OP from 4 meters and calculated 1 meter reading is also only around 8000 lux...

I get 5 meters away from the lux meter and the value I get I multiply it by 25. That is what I think I should be multiply to. What x value do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Hey Jose which version Romisen RC-T6 did you test? the DX XRE-Q4 version or the KD XRE-Q5?

I like designs that under drive the LED slightly in favor of cooler running regulated output.

thanks

Kramer5150,

When I purchased this light a long time ago It was being advertised as 1200 lumens I just checked on Ebay and they still say 1200 lumens, but the price has dropped in half.

When I bought my T6 it was being advertised as 1600 lumens -> http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

btw have you already checked the Trustfire 1200? Appears to be much brighter than the T6

cheers

EDIT: Do know the real Output of these SST-90 WM Emitters @2.8A : http://www.4sevens.com/advanced_sear...sst-90&x=0&y=0 thx
    Last edited by aurum; 03-08-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    When I bought my T6 it was being advertised as 1600 lumens -> http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

btw have you already checked the Trustfire 1200? Appears to be much brighter than the T6

cheers

EDIT: Do know the real Output of these SST-90 WM Emitters @2.8A : http://www.4sevens.com/advanced_sear...sst-90&x=0&y=0 thx

I did test a 2D Mag with what I think was one of those high bin SST-90s.

It had 2 shinningbeam 2.5A drivers sandwich together and gave 5A constant current. lumens were 780ish~730ish and it never really drop much after 3 or even 10 minutes. The 1sec reading was 1000ish OtF, but by 2 seconds the lumens dropped to 780ish range The 2D Mag had a britelumens heatsink and ran off an IMR 26650 cell. I even tested it with 3 Titanium 12,000mAh NiMH cells and no change in lumens. The body and bezel did get hot as expected with all those watts.

http://www.lighthound.com/MKN-SST-90...ED_p_3479.html

This flashlight starts life as a respectable MC-E LED flashlight, and is then upgraded with a new converter and an incredibly bright SST-90 LED. This flashlight has been tested at 729 REAL Lumens, and blows away flashlights that are rated at 900 lumens. The 26650 battery provides an incredibly long run time, and the convenience of charging a single battery for 2 full hours of usage on high, over 40 hours on medium, and hundreds of hours on low. The excellent heatsinking provides virtually no fade due to heat and the flashlight can be run for extended periods without overheating.
    It appears they are direct-driving a SST-90 off of a Li-ion 26650 in a body with 'excellent heatsinking'. Wonder how it would do.

Oh, and I know I've asked this before, but I'll keep repeating it until I get a response - have you ever tried using an active cooling method, preferably holding the head of the light or at least having a fan on it to see how it affects lumens drop?
    Light progression: Minimag Incan -> Inova X5 -> Minimag LED -> DX AKOray K-106 -> Solarforce L2p with SST-50 -> DBS V3 with SST-50

Quote Originally Posted by joshconsulting View Post

It appears they are direct-driving a SST-90 off of a Li-ion 26650 in a body with 'excellent heatsinking'. Wonder how it would do.

Oh, and I know I've asked this before, but I'll keep repeating it until I get a response - have you ever tried using an active cooling method, preferably holding the head of the light or at least having a fan on it to see how it affects lumens drop?
    I love pocket rockets. Oh man if this is as good as it looks....

Quote Originally Posted by joshconsulting View Post

Actually Mrgman would just place the lights in front of the IS Sphere, but I actually hold them with my hand with emphasis on the bezel in hopes of helping with the heat.

I don't have any other cooling method, but it would be nice

EDIT: just looked at that SST-50 light at lighthound.com and it seems to me too much money for no regulation. It also looks like its an EDC type light, but when you see how big those 1C Mags are you realize this thing is much bigger than the picture. For $200 I rather have the Dereelight DBS w/SST-90 by NB with 2.8A driver.
    Last edited by bigchelis; 03-08-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I love pocket rockets. Oh man if this is as good as it looks....
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=263156

I'm going to have a very hard time holding back on that. A MiNi sized light with a SST-50 pumping out 500+ lumens? Yes please. Even I think a 4.4a DD is too much for that size of a host, but I think 2.8A would be sufficiently cooled as long as your holding it. With a 2.8A high, 1A medium, and .02a low, you could have a 500 lumen, 12 minute high, 200 lumen, 35 minute medium and 3-5 lumen, 30 hour low. And if you swapped it for a primary and stuck to medium\low, you could see a 200 lumen\1.5h or 3-5 lumen\100 hour low. Sadly, none of the drivers have that good of spacing, but the 2.8a\1.1a\.5a doesn't look too bad.

Another reason we need Jose to see what holding a light does for cooling. The KL4 would be the perfect candidate, but any of the smaller lights with an extended drop would be best (anything that drops a lot beyond 30 seconds).

Actually Mrgman would just place the lights in front of the IS Sphere, but I actually hold them with my hand with emphasis on the bezel in hopes of helping with the heat.

I don't have any other cooling method, but it would be nice
    Ah, so you already hold all of the lights while testing? Makes sense, would also explain why AS5 helps you out so much

EDIT: just looked at that SST-50 light at lighthound.com and it seems to me too much money for no regulation. It also looks like its an EDC type light, but when you see how big those 1C Mags are you realize this thing is much bigger than the picture. For $200 I rather have the Dereelight DBS w/SST-90 by NB with 2.8A driver.
    I agree completely. I've decided that anything over 1x14500 is too big to EDC comfortably, which is why I've been taking a hard look at CR123 lights. And anything I don't EDC might as well be in Mag size with some serious output, I would look in the 24-35w HID range. Something like http://www.batteryjunction.com/n30-3161.html would be a good option, very cheap as well. You should test one of the lower-end HIDs sometime, or would they melt a hole in the styrofoam sphere?

So I got sum AS 5 n SLATHERED up the outside of my NB sst50
    drop-in and both sides of the aluminum strip Ive been jamming in my
    C2. My pill is locktited and it seemed like it would be a hassle to
    break it loose to add the AS5 to the threads. Im wondering if it was an
    important part of the slathering process

Its pretty messy now so I hope not...

its also really cold in my house - 49 deg so
    Im having a hard time testing if the host is warming up more
    than usual.. its a regulated 2.5 and never really gets that hot.

smothered n covered....

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    So I got sum AS 5 n SLATHERED up the outside of my NB sst50
    drop-in and both sides of the aluminum strip Ive been jamming in my
    C2. My pill is locktited and it seemed like it would be a hassle to
    break it loose to add the AS5 to the threads. Im wondering if it was an
    important part of the slathering process

Its pretty messy now so I hope not...

its also really cold in my house - 49 deg so
    Im having a hard time testing if the host is warming up more
    than usual.. its a regulated 2.5 and never really gets that hot.

smothered n covered....
    I think the main heatsinking benefits of the AS5 are to apply it on the actual threads. I just rubbed the AS5 on the outside to dry my fingers off. Since I was going to use soap to wash my hands I might as well salvage the left over AS5 on the outside of the bezel, but I don't think it matters.

I can un-screw the pill from the reflector with some force, but I will admitt I have some slightly higher than normal strengh, so don't feel bad. After you man handle the pill out I removed the gunk (glue) that nailbender uses from the threads both on the pill and reflector because that glue is not conductive and you will notice it might not light up when you re-assemble it. MrGman actually pointed that out to me as I was scratching my head as to why the SST-50 wouldn't work after I put a smooth reflector. It was the dam glue.

rad thanks!
    ill scrape off +save whats on there so I can get sum grip
    on er n then reapply.
    Ill make a scratch in it before taking apart so
    I know how far to screw it back in.

I have been scrolling through this thread to find some discussion re the Malkoff M30 you tested with a AW 17670 and an IMR 16340. Quite a difference in startup lumens between the two, the IMR 16340 showing about 100 lumens more output, and holding quite well through the 4 minute run, considering the reduced heat sinking ability of the little VME body. Was wondering if some of the difference is the twisty setup of the VME body, providing little or no resistance compared to the 17670 body tailcap setup. Might be interesting to test the M30 in a Malkoff MD2 with the Kroll switch switched out for a stock Incandescent Mini mag AA tailcap, which will fit, and a LiCo 18650 Li-Ion and an IMR 18650. That almost 300 lumen output for the M30 in the VME body with the IMR 16340 was very interesting.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    I have been scrolling through this thread to find some discussion re the Malkoff M30 you tested with a AW 17670 and an IMR 16340. Quite a difference in startup lumens between the two, the IMR 16340 showing about 100 lumens more output, and holding quite well through the 4 minute run, considering the reduced heat sinking ability of the little VME body. Was wondering if some of the difference is the twisty setup of the VME body, providing little or no resistance compared to the 17670 body tailcap setup. Might be interesting to test the M30 in a Malkoff MD2 with the Kroll switch switched out for a stock Incandescent Mini mag AA tailcap, which will fit, and a LiCo 18650 Li-Ion and an IMR 18650. That almost 300 lumen output for the M30 in the VME body with the IMR 16340 was very interesting.

Bill
    Bill,

I am still trying to decipher what happened there. My plan is to test the VME M30 with AS5 first, then I will try it with another hosts. I will try the M30 in a 6P hosts with the same AW 17670 cell with a Surefire 6P twistie to see if part of the problem is the E-series clickies.

More to come

I love how real world readings, instead of reducing everything to nice, simple results introduce more variables and uncertainty then theoretical mathematics. But at least we know the base numbers we're working off of. I'm doing my best to avoid filling this thread with multi-page posts full of endless, rambling speculation, but it's a challenge at times

I just got really messy scraping all the glue off of the pill
    on my NB SST-50 and added more AS 5 to the threads.
    I forgot to make marks on the pill and reflector -
    so I just screwed it all of the way in.
    there's no rings so I guess its ok?
    I filled the little groove that runs around the outside of
    the reflector and stuffed another slathered aluminum
    sheet in there.

what a mess- its on my hardwood floor next to my bed!

it does heat up faster now tho for sure..

if I get a turbo head at some point Ill just buy a new
    drop=in rather than trying to take this one apart and
    leabing grey fingerprints allover my house n phone n
    keyboard n.....

I just tested these huge P7 and MC-E lights. Not exactly 700 lumens, but at least they have a nice beam with good throw. I used topped off cells on these and only the Reflex had a UCL lens.

The New Reflex light I actually tested it with a AW 18650 and 2 CR123 Primaries, but the lumens were identical.

I have to fix the Reflex LED type, they are 3 Rebel LED's.

Last edited by bigchelis; 03-11-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Excellent information but the black on green font is almost unreadable as it is so small and lacks contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by LeifUK View Post
    Excellent information but the black on green font is almost unreadable as it is so small and lacks contrast.

It was worse before

There is very little options when it comes to uploading a spreadsheet to this forum. I have exausted all possible options and this one seems to be the easiest, but its not perfect.