ArmyTek
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

Default Re: Actual Lumen Readings by bigchelis in 10.5in Sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    It's easy. Excel 2007 has various Save As... file formats for the web.
    lol, I meant the hosting part.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    I want to post the actual spreadsheet on this site, not the link.
    I'm still not sure what you want to do. Here's your main options, pick one and explain or tell me what I'm missing

1. Host spreadsheet on a file upload site like Mediafire. Requires that you save, upload, and re-link every time you change something. Requires that anyone viewing the spreadsheet download it before opening (security risk, hassle for those viewing), and forces users to go through Mediafire ads and launch pages.

2. Host spreadsheet as a file on a CPF hosted website like csshih's. Requires that you save, PM csshih, and send him the file every time you change something unless he decides to give you the password and admin console for his website, or (unlikely) a custom security tool that lets you update that page alone. Requires that anyone viewing the spreadsheet download it before opening (security risk, hassle for those viewing).

3. Host spreadsheet as a HTML file on CPF hosted website like csshih's. Requires that you save, PM csshih, and send him the file every time you change something unless he decides to give you the password and admin console for his website, or (unlikely) a custom security tool that lets you update that page alone.

4. Host spreadsheet as a HTML file on a custom free hosting site. Requires a lot of initial setup time and upkeep. Requires that you save, upload, and re-link every time you change something.

5. Host spreadsheet as a HTML file on your computer using IIS7 or Apachie. Requires a LOT of initial setup, lots of security knowledge and effort to avoid potential attacks on your computer, and is probably against your ISP policy (your internet may be cut off). Easy to update, just save the file in the right directory.

6. Host spreadsheet in Google Docs with a permanent link in the first post. Every time you save changes they are automatically added. No security risk, viewers can see the page instantly without skipping through advertisements or launch screens.

Let me know which options your considering and I may be able to help you out without all the communication issues
    Light progression: Minimag Incan -> Inova X5 -> Minimag LED -> DX AKOray K-106 -> Solarforce L2p with SST-50 -> DBS V3 with SST-50
    The World's Most Powerful Pocket Thrower

So,

Option #6 sounds like the easy way. I will update the lumens thread manually and have my entire file linked via Googledocs.com in case somebody wants to click over to view all the readings.

Thanks,
    bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

JustinCase,

I followed your steps and since I will just add to my list it seemed like a easy and good way to go with MWSnap. I will not modify since the readings are what they are.

Thanks for the help.

I added a couple more lights too.

Default Re: Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

this makes me feel even better about my tk40

the results speak much about the quality of the light. there was hardly any drop in brightness after 3 mins where almost every other light shot down drastically. the output was also very close to the number stated by fenix and beats many other mc-e and even sst-50 lights.

thanks for testing it

JustinCase,

I followed your steps and since I will just add to my list it seemed like a easy and good way to go with MWSnap. I will not modify since the readings are what they are.

Thanks for the help.

Boo, now I can't find lights with ctrl + F

Oh well, spreadsheet should help with that It will likely mess up Google Search results, though.

Also, always use PNG for graphics. It produces a smaller file with 100$ quality instead of the artifacts JPEG produces. JPEG is designed for photographs with millions of colors; PNG is designed for graphics with a few hundred but that have straight lines and smooth gradients that need to be preserved with lossless compression.
    Light progression: Minimag Incan -> Inova X5 -> Minimag LED -> DX AKOray K-106 -> Solarforce L2p with SST-50 -> DBS V3 with SST-50

JustinCase,

Thanks for the help.

Congratulations Big C, Excel sheet looks great, just a little low in resolution, a bit fuzzy looking. Also, Excellent idea that you added 5 Meter Lux!
    with both Lumen & 5M lux, people can get a good idea of both total out put and the throw.

I am making a DEFT clone with SSR-50, hope to over drive it
    to 6A or so, I'll have to send it in then . I think 5M lux won't be in Deft level but hope to beat regular Aspherical 2500 lux, with a spot 4x bigger,
    might be more practical as a search light.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Have you ever tried measuring the lux from an automobile headlight? Or tried to measure the output from a bare automotive bulb in the IS?

"Congratulations Big C, Excel sheet looks great, just a little low in resolution, a bit fuzzy looking. Also, Excellent idea that you added 5 Meter Lux!
    with both Lumen & 5M lux, people can get a good idea of both total out put and the throw."

Yes this is a great combination and very good work that you are doing, but you still have to go out and find a real job that pays money. Maybe some one from Surefire will see your work and want to hire you.

Your table of data is going to be very big very soon. May want to limit each actual post size to 200 lines or something like that to prevent it from crashing and burning.

It would be great to have 5 meter lux readings next the lumens readings for as many as you have time for.

Justin the sphere is 10 inch inner diameter (roughtly) with a 3.5 inch port. Couldn't fit a car headlight in the opening, at least not in the original configuration. Without the reflector assembly on these new lamps the reading would be off and no way representative of what "out the front" would be coming through the exterior lense. Having to put the actual lamp inside the sphere would require recalibration and it might actually start melting the styrofoam.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGman View Post
    "Justin the sphere is 10 inch inner diameter (roughtly) with a 3.5 inch port. Couldn't fit a car headlight in the opening, at least not in the original configuration. Without the reflector assembly on these new lamps the reading would be off and no way representative of what "out the front" would be coming through the exterior lense. Having to put the actual lamp inside the sphere would require recalibration and it might actually start melting the styrofoam.
    I didn't ask about putting an entire headlight in the sphere. I asked about putting the bare bulb in for testing. In any case, it doesn't seem feasible since it seems to require putting the bulb inside of the sphere, rather than just through a port. Lux testing of a car headlight, however, doesn't require a sphere.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 03-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Question I haven't seen asked:

How would repeating a reading (e.g. 30 sec duration) a few minutes later affect the lumens score?

In other words, is it the battery (IMR, etc.) and/or heat that causes the largest lumen drop. And what score will "resting" the light result in?

I typically use the HIGH mode on my lights for 1-3 mins. at a time and it would be interesting to see how much drop occurs when HIGH is reused after interruption by periods of non-use (or lower mode use).

Hope this makes sense...
    The nicest thing about not planning for a disaster is that it comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression

I see the excell sheets perfectly clear in my phottobucket, but when I past them in the thread they come out fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I didn't ask about putting an entire headlight in the sphere. I asked about putting the bare bulb in for testing. In any case, it doesn't seem feasible since it seems to require putting the bulb inside of the sphere, rather than just through a port. Lux testing of a car headlight, however, doesn't require a sphere.

with so many different headlight configurations nowadays wasn't sure. These new ones with removable "bulb" and not a fully sealed lamp assembly would go in, but yes, it would require recalibrating the sphere as it would interfere with the internal reflections. That is a lot of work.

Flashaholic

I see the excell sheets perfectly clear in my phottobucket, but when I past them in the thread they come out fuzzy

Try saving the image of the speadsheet as a .PNG instead of a JPG and then uploading to photobucket. I have had luck with that when posting photos to sites.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkle View Post
    Try saving the image of the speadsheet as a .PNG instead of a JPG and then uploading to photobucket. I have had luck with that when posting photos to sites.
    Take a look at my post

There are a couple of reasons the images look clearer in photobucket, such as photobucket compressing them after you upload, but the bottom line is that posting graphics in JPEG is a no-no.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by joshconsulting View Post
    Take a look at my post

There are a couple of reasons the images look clearer in photobucket, such as photobucket compressing them after you upload, but the bottom line is that posting graphics in JPEG is a no-no.

Oops, missed that in your post. But now there is 2 votes for PNG

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkle View Post
    Oops, missed that in your post. But now there is 2 votes for PNG

http://lbrandy.com/blog/2008/10/my-f...last-webcomic/

Hey Jose which version Romisen RC-T6 did you test? the DX XRE-Q4 version or the KD XRE-Q5?

I like designs that under drive the LED slightly in favor of cooler running regulated output.

thanks
    Last edited by kramer5150; 03-06-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

I remember you told me that the Javelin with 2 X IMR 14500 didn't have the maH umph nor the heat sinking metal for an MC-E but I see the Javelin w 3 X Tenergy w the DX MC-E producing great output on your chart! Would the Dereelight MC-E drop in be expected to be less succesful than the SX in the same set up?

Are 3 X Tenergy 1.7 a that much stronger than 2 X AW IMR 14500?

You just smear the arctic silver on the back of the reflector then drop it in or do you copper tape it first?

Thanks again for your great work hear. I love seeing those lux ratings as well. The DEFT is over one hundred and thirty thousand lux? OMG I need to save up.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I remember you told me that the Javelin with 2 X IMR 14500 didn't have the maH umph nor the heat sinking metal for an MC-E but I see the Javelin w 3 X Tenergy w the DX MC-E producing great output on your chart! Would the Dereelight MC-E drop in be expected to be less succesful than the SX in the same set up?

Are 3 X Tenergy 1.7 a that much stronger than 2 X AW IMR 14500?

You just smear the arctic silver on the back of the reflector then drop it in or do you copper tape it first?

Thanks again for your great work hear. I love seeing those lux ratings as well. The DEFT is over one hundred and thirty thousand lux? OMG I need to save up.

The Javelin bezel I think could be a lot smaller and still fit the P60 drop-ins. I have to put about 1/4 in additional copper tape to make it fit snug. The Tenergy NiMH AA cells should sag less then the IMR 14500, but I can test the 2.5A Dereelight drop-in to see how it does in a Javelin w/Tenergy AA's.

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Hey Jose which version Romisen RC-T6 did you test? the DX XRE-Q4 version or the KD XRE-Q5?

I like designs that under drive the LED slightly in favor of cooler running regulated output.

thanks

I actually purchased that light on Ebay a while ago and the seller advertised them as XRE-Q5. I paid over $100 dollars for it, but back then I didn't know about CPF

Any chance of an iTP A1 EOS Q5 or R2 Ti? I think a lot of people around here would like to see how it compares to the Mini.

The Javelin bezel I think could be a lot smaller and still fit the P60 drop-ins. I have to put about 1/4 in additional copper tape to make it fit snug. The Tenergy NiMH AA cells should sag less then the IMR 14500, but I can test the 2.5A Dereelight drop-in to see how it does in a Javelin w/Tenergy AA's.

Jose

I don't have the Javelin ext. tube for 3 batteries so I'm more interested in the 2 X IMR 14500 set up but thanks anyway.

Hi all,

I just tested Ma_Sha 1C Tripple XP-G R5. It has a flawless beam and white white tint, really white. It is direct drive and pulls above 5A on a topped off DX or IMR C cell. It didn't perform like we expected it too, but Ma will re-do the things he knows how and upon re-test we will see how this build evolves and hopefully others can learn from his trials.

Oh, I meant to ask, if you use copper tape & arctic silver do you just butter the silver on top of the copper or do you put silver on the reflector, then add copper, then more silver?

Flashaholic*

Just wondering what kind of reflector did new EagleTacs with R5 have? OP or SMO?

Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    Just wondering what kind of reflector did new EagleTacs with R5 have? OP or SMO?

All the EagleTac XP-G R5's had OP.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I don't have the Javelin ext. tube for 3 batteries so I'm more interested in the 2 X IMR 14500 set up but thanks anyway.
    Where can I find IMR 14500 cells?

Thanks to everyone involved with all the testing, it is fascinating stuff!
    "Push back the night" - Bob Weir

I just tested the Anto XPG-R5. It is bright.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyfgroove View Post
    Where can I find IMR 14500 cells?

Thanks to everyone involved with all the testing, it is fascinating stuff!
    I only assumed there are IMR 14500. AW makes an unprotected 14500 but it is Li Ion. My mistake. I wonder why they don't make them?