Headlight Help

Roberts30

Enlightened
The other night I noticed how weak my headlights were compared to several other vehicles that I had been driving alongside. As a true flashaholic this was unacceptable to me. :D So I started doing a little research and ended up spending 8 bucks on these. I was wondering how much of an improvement they will be over my standard 55w halogens on my truck. Do you think I will be happy with the new ones? I don't know if I should believe all of the claimed brightness ratings or not.. Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Don't install the junk bulbs you bought. Throw them in the trash if you can't undo the purchase. They're dangerous and illegal. The high wattage will fry your wires and switches, and blue glass is NEVER the way to see better. All it can do is block light that would otherwise reach the road. You need colorless clear glass and bulbs of the correct wattage, made by a reputable maker, not this phony "Happy xenon" Chinese no-name garbage. The best 9007 bulbs are Philips Xtreme Power, depending on what kind of vehicle you're driving there may or may not be better headlight lens/reflector units available for it, and also depending on what you're driving the factory headlight circuit may be starving the bulbs.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the above post... After spending much time and money trying to improve my Mustang's forward lighting I finally gave up on cool stuff like foglamps and housing upgrades. Tossed HID aside because of engineering flaws (eg: halogen housing is NOT an HID housing). Purchased a set of the above bulbs and with proper aiming made a huge difference!

Just wish I hadn't used up my entire "toys" budget on jogging headlamps, MTB forks and 17 inch wheels because it would surely be nice to add in a DS relay upgrade.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
The other night I noticed how weak my headlights were compared to several other vehicles that I had been driving alongside. As a true flashaholic this was unacceptable to me. :D So I started doing a little research and ended up spending 8 bucks on these.
:sigh: Flashaholic card temporarily suspended until suitable bulbs purchased and installed... :laughing:

I just installed a proper and comprehensive upgrade recently. It is very very worth it.

Roberts30

Enlightened
Dang.. So they would burn my wiring up in my truck? I should have asked here before I did my impulse buying, but I guess it was only 8 bucks.. Anyways, I for sure should not install them? :sigh:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Um...you're not seriously expecting different answers the second time you ask the questions, are you?

Next time ask questions and get educated before you spend money.

Roberts30

Enlightened
Um...you're not seriously expecting different answers the second time you ask the questions, are you?

Next time ask questions and get educated before you spend money.
I know, I'm not usually so "jumpy" on my purchases, but I learned. Anyways I was just wondering if it was a given that these would burn up my wiring.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I know, I'm not usually so "jumpy" on my purchases, but I learned. Anyways I was just wondering if it was a given that these would burn up my wiring.
Your wiring might just get crispy over time while your reflector housing melts.
Would that be better?

tay

Enlightened
They might, or they might not. No way to know for certain without knowing how your car's harness is constructed.

There is a chance they could cause $$$ damage. I have a H3 foglight I bought secondhand and the chrome was all gone from the reflector because they had used a 100w bulb.

Worked out to be a decent deal for me. Bought a pair for $30, one was damaged. Sold the lens off of the damaged one for like $10, and sold the good one for like $50.

They're not going to help you see any better than the factory bulbs. They will provide some risk of damaging wiring or burning your headlights. So there's no good reason to put them in. Sell them to a ricer who doesn't know any better, if you can't return them.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wiring isn't the issue, IMHO since you could always run a relay setup... I just would not put a hgue amount of faith in the Ford headlamp housings holding up to 100w of heat.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The standard headlamps are pretty bad. Go get a pair of the '03 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition headlamp lens-reflector assemblies, which have better-focused, more efficient optics for stronger beams and a bulb shield for much less backscatter in bad weather. Use one of the online genuine Ford part discounters like these guys. Don't buy aftermarket lights, they're all junk, even the ones that claim to be "OEM quality" and "SAE/DOT approved". Not worth the money, even though the price is less. Use the 9007 bulbs previously linked (Xtreme Power). Put in relays to bring full power to the bulbs (the stock harness is starving your bulbs), and aim the new lamps carefully per this page. Then you'll be able to see quite a good bit better.

Hockaday

Newly Enlightened
Don't install the junk bulbs you bought. Throw them in the trash if you can't undo the purchase. They're dangerous and illegal. The high wattage will fry your wires and switches, and blue glass is NEVER the way to see better. All it can do is block light that would otherwise reach the road. You need colorless clear glass and bulbs of the correct wattage, made by a reputable maker, not this phony "Happy xenon" Chinese no-name garbage. The best 9007 bulbs are Philips Xtreme Power, depending on what kind of vehicle you're driving there may or may not be better headlight lens/reflector units available for it, and also depending on what you're driving the factory headlight circuit may be starving the bulbs.

If that happens you're probably driving an american or italian car...i bought similar stuff for my Datsun ( green faux hids for headlights fogs and reverse lights ) and it worked just fine and dandy. also I always ran the fogs with the headlamps on.

ps. to people who complain about being blinded on the road...unless you're driving a miata a Z31 or a fiero or something close to the like...just sit back and be quiet...lol...i literally sit eye level with everyone's headlights..and i'm 6' tall...I actually am lower then drive through windows lol :sigh:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
ps. to people who complain about being blinded on the road...unless you're driving a miata a Z31 or a fiero or something close to the like...just sit back and be quiet

Really?? Maybe you're the one who could use some practice at being quiet :shakehead

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that happens you're probably driving an american or italian car...i bought similar stuff for my Datsun ( green faux hids for headlights fogs and reverse lights ) and it worked just fine and dandy. also I always ran the fogs with the headlamps on.

ps. to people who complain about being blinded on the road...unless you're driving a miata a Z31 or a fiero or something close to the like...just sit back and be quiet...lol...i literally sit eye level with everyone's headlights..and i'm 6' tall...I actually am lower then drive through windows lol :sigh:

1: owner already posted the make and model of his auto.
2: I don't doubt that your green bulbs lit up, but perhaps you should look into better lighting instead of more colorful lighting.
3: yeah, people do complain a lot about being blinded on the road, but they have a reason, and it's the punk kids that think that even though it isn't controlled anymore, more light = better. I just don't like those people in trucks with HIDs in their lows, highs, and fogs, and have them all blazing at once. Someone who isn't me fired their MC-E flashlight out the back window. Thankfully, they turned off their highs and lows. It was much easier to get out from in front of him after that.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
feedtroll.gif

picard-headhold.jpg