new ultra bright, mystery LED flashlight

T

tko

I have contacts in Hong Kong and visit there all the time. In the last 3 months a new flashlight has appeared. Marked "Fujitsu HGM2210" it is a small, twin lithium powered LED flashlight in a machined aluminum body.

It is the brightest LED flashlight I have ever seen. It is close to my lithium powered incandescent flashlight (also brought in Hong Kong), which has an over volted 5 watt bulb. It is far brighter than my Luxeon Star flashlight (although mine is a year or so old and I understand the newer models are brighter) and with a more neutral color.
My guess is that there is a late generation Luxeon Star 5 watt LED on the inside. I'd rather use this Japanese light than my 5 cell Mag light - its that nice!

Has anyone else heard of this light? Is there is a market for this product in the US? What would people pay for this? Would this light blow away the Arc LS? How do they get the 5 W Luxeon when no one else seems to have it? (so many questions but I don't really follow LED flashlights that closely).

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Welcome tko!

There are a fair number of 5W's out in the population now and the SureFire L4 is the first full production entry with this LED but others are due to be out any time now. That said, what's the poop on this Fujitsu? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We want pictures!!!!!

- Don

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this disappoints you, but the HGM2210 which I've seen here in Japan just uses a 5mm white LED.

It runs on 2 CR2 lithium batteries, with a stated runtime on the packaging of about 40hours.

Fujitsu don't have much info on their site, but you can see a couple of pictures here.

The light as it appears from Fujitsu couldn't possibly come close to a Luxeon based light in output. Are you sure the one you saw wasn't an after-market modified one? I know that some of the members of the Japanese flashlight site http://www.flashlight-fan.com/ did a 5W luxeon modification of one of these Fujitsu lights. Perhaps something like that is what you saw..

Graham

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome...I looked at their web site but see nothing regarding lights www.fujitsu.com Is it possible they are making thier own LED`s? That would rock our boat! What type of Luxeon Star are you comparing it to...an Arc LS?

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fujitsu Electronics site lists their lights, but they give very little information.

You can see it on the page here , second from the bottom of the "H Grade" table.

Graham

XRAY

Newly Enlightened
hi, I'am from Hong kong & I just bought one - it is 1W LS.
There should be 2 version here, one is 5mm LED & the other is 1W LS.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you post a picture of it, as well as the packaging if possible? The Japanese Fujitsu website only lists the 5mm LED version, which has the model number HGM2210F..

Graham

souyou

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, some Japanese said that HGM2210F, the one 5mm version,
is dim and useless, it just exists to be modefied.
So, it can't be brigher than Luxeon flashlight.
If yours is that bright, it must be a Luxeon one.
Please post the pic of the LED.

T

tko

more info on mystery lamp

I'll try to post pictures of light output and LED later, but for now I measured the voltage and current draw at 0.41 amps and 6.0 volts. That's 2.5 watts of power to the LED, assuming they aren't using a large resistor in series or anything else foolish. I also measured my CMG reactor at 3 volts (uses those special 1.5 volt lithium . . ) and 0.16 amps or 0.5 watts. So, all things being equal this little Hong Kong special is drawing 5 times the power as my CMG reactor. As far as I know, the only LED that will do that is the new 5W LS.

The suggestion that people made about it being a modified Fujitsu is a good one. Most of the body looks professionally machined, but ther is a notch on the inside that looks homemade. That notch locates the front plastic optics that the LS typically uses.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: more info on mystery lamp

0.41 amps doesn't sound a lot. The average LS takes in 0.35 amps. This muz be where Lumileds sold all their super high Vf 1 watt LS to... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif