Help! Is my Maha C9000 Broken? Already?

mrblazito

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a brand new Maha C9000 charger and received it today. It worked for about an hour letting me charge 4 AA newer batteries. I then tried to use the Refresh/Analyze option on 2 of my older AA batteries. About 10 seconds into the process, everything went kablooey on the LCD...random characters all over the LCD for about 10 seconds, and then everything disappeared off the LCD. I can still hear the low frequency whistling noise, but it's solid, not pulsating. I unplugged it from the power and waited 5 minutes. Turned it back on without any batteries, and it just showed a bunch of random characters all over the LCD and then...nothing. Inserting a battery still shows nothing on the LCD...but the LCD still gets backlit for a few seconds.

Has this happened to anyone else? Will the manufacturer replace it? I already emailed them and waiting for a response.

Thanks all.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you got a faulty unit. I expect Maha will make it right for you. They are good with customer satisfaction.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely sounds like a defective unit.

They are in the pacific time zone so give them a phone call, you'll get a faster response.

The charger has a 3 year warranty and Maha are very good with warranty claims.
Call them up and they'll likely have something going before you get off the phone with them.

mrblazito

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed they are in So Cal...so am I...perfect! I'll be giving them a call shortly.

Thanks for the replies.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I used to sell pro audio bands DJ's night clubs etc. We had a rule of thumb that true manufacturing defect will normally show up the first weekend.

That's what you have. Don't sweat it at all those things happen, they'll replace it with no hassle and then you'll be as happy as Bill Clinton at a Hooters.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Just give them a call and they'll stand behind it! My unit was over 2 years old when it developed a problem. I gave them a call and they sent me a new unit with a return authorization for the old one. Excellent customer service. The C9000s come with a 3 year warranty.

mrblazito

Newly Enlightened
You guys were right about the outstanding customer service this company provides. I got my UPS tracking # early in the morning today. Should have the new unit tomorrow. Sweet!!!

mrblazito

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got the new replacement unit today and it seems to be working. Few things I noticed...it came with a different a/c adapter(smaller), and it's not making that low frequency whistle sound(good thing I suppose).

Now I have a question. I have a few of those Uniross 15 minute charge AAA batteries that have been in storage for about a month. I inserted one of them into the charger and chose the refresh/analyze option. The process indicated "charging" mode for about 15 minutes and got up to 79 mah. Then it switched to "rest" mode and it has now been 110 minutes and it hasn't switched back to "charging" mode. Is this normal? I thought it stays in "rest" mode for 1 hour?

Thanks.

Link Archer VI

Newly Enlightened
When doing an R&A, it will rest for two hours after the first charge, one hour after the discharge. Rest periods in other modes are one hour.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
I just purchased a brand new Maha C9000 charger and received it today. It worked for about an hour... ...About 10 seconds into the process, everything went kablooey on the LCD - random characters all over the LCD for about 10 seconds, and then everything disappeared off the LCD...

...Has this happened to anyone else? Will the manufacturer replace it?
Yes and yes.

Please see: Help C9000 doesn't work. - palomino77

for LINKs to videos.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
...I got the new replacement unit today and it seems to be working. Few things I noticed...it came with a different a/c adapter(smaller)...
If possible, OLD & NEW pictures of the bottoms of the adapter (similar to what Russel provided in: La Crosse BC-700 & BC-900 Photos (P/S & PCB) except of the ENTIRE adapter to allow comparing their sizes), would be interesting AND appreciated. :)

...I have a few of those Uniross 15 minute charge AAA batteries that have been in storage for about a month. I inserted one of them into the charger and chose the refresh/analyze option. The process indicated "charging" mode for about 15 minutes and got up to 79 mah. Then it switched to "rest" mode...

I GOOGLEd 'uniross 15 minute' and found 15 minute labeled chargers but not cells. Are these cells 'special' like the Rayovac I-C³s?

Also, when you post charger/cell questions, please include charger FUNCTION *AND* CHARGE RATE.

Your cells reached the C9000's Max Voltage cutoff of 1.47VDC after 79mAh. Knowing the Charge Rate selected and their C9000 Impedance Check Voltage would be helpful. If they were previously being maintained with a 15 minute charger, they probably would benefit from a Deep Discharge followed by a Break-In.

Please see my Green Sig Line LINK for definitions, instructions, etc...