"The Big Mac"

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that will be "its" name until I name it otherwise :)

This project started almost a year ago when I was thinking of putting together a Polarion style LED light when fellow member Morpheus came to me with a similar idea so I went ahead with this "for fun" project.

The project originally had 7x Cree MC-E LED's but they ended up giving me a horrible donut hole even with 7 LED cluster and textured refectors. That's when this project went on the back burner..........fast forward 8 months and we now have the SST/R-50 LED's :) Now the light sports 6x Top Bin SSR-50's and one single Top BIN Cree MC-E and the beam is donut "Holeless" :)

On to the specs

-Custom Built Host (Machined from 4" 6061-T6)
-6x Top Bin SSR-50 LED's
-1x Top Bin Cree MC-E (In center)
-7x 28mm Aluminum Textured reflectors
-2x Taskled Hipflex Drivers powering 3 SST-50 LED's each at 2.8amps
-1x Taskled BFlex powering a single Cree MC-E LED at 1amp
-Borafloat Lens
-Custom 5x 26650 series Battery Holder
-Host was bead blasted then spayed with Eastwood's Diamond Clear
-Beefy at just under 7lbs

Lumens.....Hmmmmmm from what I have read the *LED'S* should output around 800 lumens at 2.5amps these are seeing slightly more than that so I guestimate around 5600 LED Lumens :)

Currently the light is setup with only one mode called "really friggin bright" though that may change in the future if I decide to run a few Shark boards with a Remora. The reason I went with the Taskled boards is the fact they have thermal throttling and voltage cutoff capability's. Currently the 2 banks of SST-50's with throttle down to around 50% power when the heatsink reaches 60C. Also the center led will shutdown at 13 volts indicating it's time to charge the battery's.

How it all started

P1030958-vi.jpg

P1030960-vi.jpg

The original MC-E's......wow what a blast is was drilling and hand tapping all them holes....NOT :)

P1030971-vi.jpg

The Final Result

IMG_16372-vi.jpg

IMG_16442-vi.jpg

IMG_16582-vi.jpg

IMG_16752-vi.jpg

IMG_1677-vi.jpg

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Mackerel!

-Mayo

(any beamshots?)

Sorry I put the light together 2 weeks ago and made the mistake of looking into the lens and I finally have recovered enough to post some pictures.......though I can still see 7 distinct white dots where ever I look :)

J/K soon!

Mac

knightrider

Enlightened
Now that blows my mind! Probably one of the coolest big gun lights I've ever seen. Your craftsmanship is phenomenal!

Great design and looks, it has serious style!

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,
It is dark out right now, so post some beamshots please :thumbsup:

Your under an hour away smarty pants......the beamshots will waite for you. You have the competition.......bring that dang Surefire Hellfire!:)

Mac

paintballdad

Enlightened
WOW! That looks awesome and the craftsmanship is just amazing. This one's probably waaay out of my price range if you do offer it, but would still like to know.

That finish would look great on the SST-50 EDCs.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Sh!t!!!! that thing is fantastic!!!! :hitit:

Nice job on the machining and the design. I love it and I want one too.

Cheers
Dave

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap!!! That is just fantastic!! The look is just sweet. Great work Mac...looking forward to beamshots and what this thing would cost.

Illum

Flashaholic
are you willing to part out some of those original MCEs?

I've been looking everywhere for star mounted MCEs with individually addressable pads available in the US:ohgeez:
Only ones here are all mounted in series, or I'll have to order bare stars

RocketTomato

Enlightened
That is truly awesome looking! I wonder what TSA would say if you tried to carry that on an airplane. :crackup:

You should tape 7 Mac EDC SST-50's together for comparison beamshots.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
omgonoz.gif

Now that's something only a true Flashaholic would make, how many machining hours went in to such a great light. I wonder what kind of beam you would get with a red LED in the center.

Last edited:

tdurand

Enlightened
So that's what you've been up too!
Very impressive. It looks like it's balanced better than a KUKA KR1000!
Awesome
T