Earthquake in Northern Illinois

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
So did anyone else feel the earthquake at 4AM this morning in Northern Illinois or elsewhere in the midwest? I live about 20 miles (as the crow flies), roughly, from the epicenter. It was rated a 3.8 on the richter scale. It woke me out of a sound sleep. My bed was shaking back and forth, and there was a loud boom, and a rumble that sounded like close rolling thunder. It lasted about 10 seconds. My cat wasn't phased at all. She remained on the foot of the bed, which really surprised me. I figured she would have hidden or something. Thankfully there was no damage, and no one was injured that I heard of. I know that many others here live in quake zones and probably think a 3.8 is really nothing, but it sure was something to us here. It's the largest quake I've ever felt.

Anyone else feel this one?

E1B

Newly Enlightened
I live near Farmington MO didn't feel a thing........imma heavy sleeper :tired:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing here in southern OH. I woke early, but not sure of the time.

I remember the 5.1 we had in 1980. I was sitting on the curb and my friend was sitting on his bike, we were talking and didn't notice a thing. We both returned home and our parents told us about all the shakin'. I taped a talk radio station with people calling in and talking about their experience.

It's kind of a "bucket list" thing for me, but I want to feel a small quake before my time is up!

JakeGMCHD

Newly Enlightened
No luck here either but co-workers did in the area. I'm north of you in Janesville.

mitro

Newly Enlightened
I was already at work (down by Morris) and I just heard what I thought was a snow plow rumbling by. No shaking or anything exciting. It did wake up my wife and freak out the cat though. She said the bed was shaking but didn't hear the "boom" others have reported.

orchid_guy

Newly Enlightened
I didn't feel the earthquake in SE Wisconsin, although my brother felt it in Madison. I don't think that going to bed at 3 am helped any-- It takes a lot to wake me(really makes my wife angry when I have to set three alarms in the morning).

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have had more than a doubling of earthquakes under Yellwstone, the thousands-of-years over-due super valcano site, at up to 3.8
'they' say to worry when the quakes get 6 times bigger than that (correct me on this if neccessary) ie. 4.0...
frankly, I'm a little nervous...

if one were to choose to not ignore this situation, what would be the best plan ?
sail West?

DM51

Flashaholic
they have had more than a doubling of earthquakes under Yellwstone, the thousands-of-years over-due super valcano site, at up to 3.8
'they' say to worry when the quakes get 6 times bigger than that (correct me on this if neccessary) ie. 4.0...
frankly, I'm a little nervous...

if one were to choose to not ignore this situation, what would be the best plan ?
sail West?
A big one is around 50,000 years overdue, IIRC; the last major one there was ~500,000 years ago. The magma chamber underneath the park is expanding and causing the ground above it to rise. That is what is causing the seismic activity.

If it really blew big-time, it would cover everything with ash up to hundreds or even thousands of miles away, and darken or even blot out the sun all around the world for months.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If it really blew big-time, it would cover everything with ash up to hundreds or even thousands of miles away, and darken or even blot out the sun all around the world for months.
Don't forget to have plenty of spare cells on hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts