• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-XP-G ! Will the dream come true Don???

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Hello!

Perhaps we can convince Don to make a wave of Ti PD-XP-G's
if there would be enough interests?! :tinfoil:

PLEASE, Don make this come true...:)

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd sell a bit of my liver so I could get a hold of a few of these... IMHO the Ti PD is pretty much the best light ever made, and an updated version would be amazing.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be against the rules to post a link to this in the custom B/S/T area? I just stumbled on to it - a post over there would sure pull people in.

Just a thought...:thinking:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the response to all of these threads requesting new waves of PDs is the same, I am guessing there are more realistic things to hope for.

I would be interested in an offer to upgrade existing PD-S', but I can see why Don wouldn't want to get involved in that headache.

carrot

Flashaholic
It really kills me to think that Don is no longer interested in making lights with the best switching mechanism in the industry... please don't tell us sad things like that SoupTree.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ill be in if finances are in as well at that moment...

I don't really understand where the problems are either, but perhaps Don just doesn't want to do any piston drives anymore? That could perhaps be surrounded in offering it with the special McClicky body designed for PD heads. We all have PDs at home after all... :thinking:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly how would a PD-XP work?

The mechanical 2-level nature of the PD/Kilroy isn't compatible with the 3-level converter, so they can't just be combined. If a 2-level PD mechanism with an XP LED is wanted, there are modders around that can probably do that with PD, though the beam might not be as nice. If a 3-level PD mechanism is wanted using the 3-level converter, well, Kilroy isn't there with that converter, so the piston isn't needed. Which means either the piston would need to be replaced by a switch (that's a Haiku) or re-designed to simply be an overly long momentary switch, which sounds very Un-McGizmo-like to me, especially if it's just to have H3. Don's already dismissed a 3-level PD-like mechanism due to the complexities that would be involved, so that's out.

Maybe I'm missing something, though...:thinking:

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It gives me a headache even contemplating a response but I suppose I should try.

Assuming that I could find a viable source for an appropriate converter and justify any associated development costs and NRE, how many of you would consider a two level output PD XP-G at say a cost of $520 a superior solution over the 3 speed Haiku that is $450? I for one consider the Haiku a superior solution over a 2 speed PD even if the price was the same.

Would you prefer the PD to have a threaded bezel ring even though this would lengthen the head and block some of the spill or would the present solution of a window retained by an O-ring be acceptable?

You guys are not privy to all of the aspects of obtaining the required components or the disparity in minimum quantities required but if you will accept my word for it, I do end up with excess components which can't be used unless a further program can exploit them.

I think the PD is ideal for momentary access to two levels or two channels (or even more levels with a software driven solution like the Arc 6 and maybe some of the NiteCore lights). For latching on, I think a clickie is superior. For three levels like the Haiku XP-G offers, The clickie wins in my book both in terms of momentary and latched on activation.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't speak for everyone else, but for me the desire is simple - the XP-G emitters you are sending out are awesome in the Haiku - and we all love the PD. It just seems to me as if the two would make an awesome combination.

Having said that, I'd be happy if I could just put an XP-G emitter in my PD-S.

Regardless - the Haiku XP-G remains my favorite. Not sucking up to the maker - just stating my thoughts

I apologize Toby - don't mean to hijack or shift your thread - I'd still buy an PD XP-G if Don built one.

lovecpf