• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

el capitan runtimes???

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
hi there:

well i got a little money unexpected today, and tought "is there anything better than spending it on my first peak??
so after choosing el capitan between this and the logan, and knowing that there are more than a couple of them arround,i got some questions for the lucky owners of this beauty of a flashlight.

what is the difference, in runtime and lumens, between a #6 and a #8??

also, any pictures showing the narrow head and the medium??

thanks a lot

tony

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my #6 today and will be doing some evaluations. I typically look at current draw to give me an idea of runtime and efficiency.

I am not one who needs a spot light in a 1AA package but who focuses more on a practical amount of lumens with the best runtime/efficiecy possible. This to me requires more engineering than to design a light that is run full out.

Anyways, I am going to be evaluating my #6 narrrow optic El Captian more in the next few days. So far it is impressive. But I am also having erronious current readings which I want to isolate. It could be my meter. I hope it is not the light. It is strange and has me baffled at the moment.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
I am not one who needs a spot light in a 1AA package but who focuses more on a practical amount of lumens with the best runtime/efficiecy possible. This to me requires more engineering than to design a light that is run full out.
+1.
exactly what i think.i always think a flashlight is a tool to use and abuse.for this,i need a light arround 90 lumens,with lots of flood,a little spot and arround 2 hours of runtime.

hope you light is ok regulator

Charles L.

Enlightened
El Capitan Run Time Question

Hi all,

Just received a new brass El Capitan, #8 medium, yesterday. (btw, it came in just 2 days from Bob at rmsk). What an elegant little light! The medium seems floody compared to my other lights, and it really puts out a nice amount of light with a neutral tint.

My question: I put in a newly-charged AW 14500 cell (which showed 4.17 volts on the DMM one hour after charging). The light ran for approximately 45 minutes before flashing and turning itself off. I assume that is a reasonable amount of time for the #8, but what do you guys think? If I put in an Energizer lithium, is it fair to expect a longer runtime along with the decreased output?

Thanks for your thoughts.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: El Capitan Run Time Question

Charles, for the amount of output the El Capitan has in #8 on Li-Ion, I would say that runtime is fair. I would also say your expectations of the Energizer lithium are accurate.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened

Thanks Terry,

I thought the run time was about right, but wanted to check with more experienced members. This little El Capitan is already growing on me -- thank goodness for rechargeables :twothumbs

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

That run time sounds accurate for the #8. You may get slightly longer runtime with the Energizer Lithium primary- but it likely will not be as bright- at least if they are using the same driver as the PEAK Eiger(?). What was the DMM AW cell reading after it shut down? Just curious as severe depletion of Li-Ion at minimum will lessen cell life and worse case be MAY BE potentialy hazardous upon recharge. The Brass peaks are very nice- I have about 5- and Bob at RMSK is a good guy:wave:....Welcome to PEAK made in the USA quality.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened

RC,

I'm sorry to say I didn't check. I'll run another 14500 through the El Capitan today and see what it reads.

Charles

Charles L.

Enlightened

Depleted cell read 3.02 volts. That's about as low as they're supposed to get before recharging, correct? btw, my RRT-0 ran for only 30 minutes on high before shutting itself off (battery read 3.3 volts) -- of course, it also has several lower settings from which to choose. I'm looking forward to the rumored variable-output switch for the Peak.

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

Is it an AW protected 14500? They must be using a different driver on the light engine than the Eiger. Did it do the blink then off thing again- that is a good thing as you don't want to trip the protection feature on the AW cell.

Charles L.

Enlightened

Yes, it is an AW protected 14500. And yes, the light did blink quickly several times, then shut off.

I've also noticed that the El Cap gets pretty warm (i.e., hot) with that powerful cell after about 5 minutes. The RRT-0 does as well (with either the 14500 or a CR-123), but the El Cap is just a bit warmer. I may end up using the El Cap with an Energizer lithium -- while not as bright, it does run longer and cooler with that cell than with the AW.

Even with its lack of adjustability, the small size, good looks and light quality are making the El Cap my EDC of choice right now.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

there was a discussion here a while back about the thermal dissapation capabilities of the different metals- if I remember correctly, it was HA, Brass, then SS- as far as their ability to quickly dissapate heat. My Eiger would get warm with the Li Ion. I really like the look and feel of Brass- and the AA lithiums are a great choice- and it sounds like the El Cap has some protective features in the driver- a good thing to prevent over discharge.

rider

Newly Enlightened

fyrstormer

Banned
As I understand it, the Logan #6 can run at full power on a 123 primary, whereas the Logan #8 can't. I have to think a similar rule applies to the El Capitan, though the brightest version that can run at full power from an AA primary is undoubtedly a lower number than it is for the Logan.