LED DRLs

EndOfTheTunnel

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I suppose there have been many threads on the use of LEDs as DRLs. I've been in the planning stages of a headlamp HID retrofit for a while now, but HID has limitations, or so I've read. I plan to use 4 Cree MC-E warm white LEDs in each headlamp to provide the functions that the HID light doesn't do well, like DRL.
I'm hoping I'll be able to fit some Ledil optics over the LEDs to control glare and ensure that the beam pattern matches Canadian DRL regulations, at least on paper.
Heat seems to be the biggest problem facing MC-E users, and that's what's taking my project so long. I've worked out a heatsyphon system using an external (motorcycle or transmission) radiator that will hopefully do the trick. With any luck, I'll start building this in a month or so.
Comments? Am I nuts?

In the meantime, I picked up some Phillips Xtreme powere 9007s, but have yet to put them in.

KLowD9x

Banned
Why do you think that you will need such a large radiator for cooling the LEDs?

Why not a heat pipe with just a 90 degree turn up and some copper pins sticking out to transfer the heat out through the back of your headlamp assembly?

RusDyr

Newly Enlightened
It's a quite interesting subject, I'd like to do my own DRL also.
The main question (yet) is where to find housing for LEDs? As I see, it should be something like that:

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
It's a quite interesting subject, I'd like to do my own DRL also.
The main question (yet) is where to find housing for LEDs? As I see, it should be something like that:

That would be quite a lot of light for a DRL. Remember, those are SSC P7's in those Reflex Bars. :duck: You would only need 1 or 2 to get the job done, not 6-12.

RusDyr

Newly Enlightened
That would be quite a lot of light for a DRL. Remember, those are SSC P7's in those Reflex Bars. :duck: You would only need 1 or 2 to get the job done, not 6-12.
Dude, I know it, really. I've talked about housing only. Have you read text in my message or just took a look at pictures? ;)

P.S. BTW, there are Cree MC-E in these ReflexBars, not SSC P7 - see specifications.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
By "HID retrofit" I hope you mean replacing the entire housing with HID specific optics that are legal for your locale from a reputable manufacturer. Installing any of the several HID "kits" available all over the place that put an HID capsule in a halogen headlight housing is illegal and for very good reason. See here. Your best bet is retrofitting a set of HID optics made by a reputable manufacturer. I prefer Hella modules, available in various sizes, beam patterns, and light sources.

For a DRL function, I'm afraid you're re-inventing the wheel. You can buy several different DRL specific lighting options in incandescent and LED. You could also install a module to use your turn signals as DRL's; this is what I would do. In fact, this is what I have done on my vehicles.

Anything you cobble together will be illegal. Something to keep in mind if you have any kind of inspection.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, I know it, really. I've talked about housing only. Have you read text in my message or just took a look at pictures? ;)

P.S. BTW, there are Cree MC-E in these ReflexBars, not SSC P7 - see specifications.

It's better not to be smug when your posts are ambiguous in meaning.