Rushed it, and flubbed it

Codiak

Enlightened
So I messed up my test light and it's got me down. Rushed it in an effort to get take it on a cruise tomorrow and FITZ

Leasons learned!
  1. I HATE reed switches... I don't care what it takes but I am going to make a bunch of small latching circuits for my peizo switches. Though reeds do make for a smaller system
  2. D - Mags are nice to start with but the heads are too large. I need to find a cap that can will use the body threads to retain a lens place on the body itself, not the head.
  3. Need a different heatsink, one without a lip, or a shorter petestal to hold the SST... needs to hold the Star not the emitter
  4. Bins are nice, Stars are easier
  5. Need to figure out why a 3A - 7.4 volt battery gave me less then 3 minutes with the hipCC. Bigger battery, different driver or both. I'm sure the user screwed up some where... also need a full 5A driver.
  6. Start with Teflon Wire, stick with teflon wire!
  7. Wire it, test it, seal it, test it, leave it alone
  8. Want to dedome an SST, push down firmly on the dome while the lamp is on! ARGH!
  9. Hand tools work... clean the garage and make a work space for the lathe, drill press and bandsaw!
  10. Don't bother with overnight crap... your rushing...
  11. Don't order from overseas if you can avoid it, 3 weeks is worse than overnight!!!
Next time: Video lights wide-arse the LED will go.

1) Wait for the SST-90 Driver, perhaps justifing the wait for the new Cree
2) Prep canister, handle, glands, Lense etc before ordering parts
3) Total length of light will be 2.5 inchs in length
4) Consider working with C Size Mag
5) Test battery duration in fishtank

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy the cruise...sorry to hear about the light but it will still be there when you get home:wave:

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear you didnt finish it.

I was in the same position a few weeks back, trying to finish a light before a big trip - I am glad a threw in the towel before I did any serious damage.

I have been back nearly a week and have not had the energy to get back into the garage :green:

Codiak

Enlightened
Sorry to hear you didnt finish it.

I was in the same position a few weeks back, trying to finish a light before a big trip - I am glad a threw in the towel before I did any serious damage.

I have been back nearly a week and have not had the energy to get back into the garage :green:

I mucked it early on by not gapping the LED and glass enough. The last step, seal the lens... poof

*sigh* good thing really though... 5 minutes Battery would have irk'd me :)

Klem

Enlightened
Mate,

If it makes you feel any better I've flooded more DIY torches over the years than I care to admit. And if anyone else tells you otherwise they are lying.

One thing I've learn't the hard way is that salt water under pressure is unforgiving. You get one small thing wrong and, "Sheeeeeet!"

You had the guts to share it with us so it's not all bad.

My problem is I get so frustrated that I bin them in anger even before getting home, then kick myself again a week later when I've calmed down, thinking of the parts I might have salvaged!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beauty of DIY... Spend twice as much to build it!!! lol...
Sorry to hear that Codiak. You'll spend many sleepless nights trying to come up with a solution during the cruise. Which will cause you to sleep even less since you'll be wanting to go home and try out the solutions...

Have fun during your trip man!

Delphinus

Newly Enlightened
So I messed up my test light and it's got me down. Rushed it in an effort to get take it on a cruise tomorrow and FITZ
Things only happen to the ones who work on them; 3 weeks ago I also fried 1 MC-E and 3 XP-G trying to finish a lamp for a friend before one dive.

My lesson was never work with a big lab power supply it's safer to use batteries and a limiting circuit because it the wires disconnect and reconnect the peek will fry the leds.

Good luck next time.