Fenix Outfitters        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parallel wiring of shining beam 2.5A driver

Default Parallel wiring of shining beam 2.5A driver

I was wondering if anyone has tried wiring two of the 2.5A Shiningbeam drivers (sku 1217) in parallel to drive an sst-50 at 5A. I asked Bryan but he did not know.

A $6.95 each, it would be a relatively inexpensive driver solution. Plus, the driver has 3 modes (140, 1000, 2500 mA). If two are run, these values would be doubled (280, 2000, and 5000 mA) which would give a nice "low, med, high" for the sst-50. The only drawback is the max Vin is set at 6V, so it would not be possible to power with 2 series connected 3.6V cells (I was hoping for 2 x 26500). One option would be Techjunckie's homemade 2P 26650 carrier here, an FM 3P 3x17670 holder, or 4 series C/D NimH cells.

Default Re: Parallel wiring of shining beam 2.5A driver

I actually ordered some of those this week and was thinking about trying it.
    Only problem that I can see is getting the modes to match up each time you hit the switch.

I put together a 3D m@g with an sst-50, and with the 12000mAh Ni-MH in it it pulls way over 5 amps. (Angry blue within seconds)
    I ordered some 1 mode P7 drivers from DX but they haven't even shipped yet. So I might give this a try.

I can't wait to see this thing running at 5 amps because it has crazy throw using an aspherical lens with just regular D alkalines in it.

Flashaholic*

I would not try it that way, however I would make a slave amc and attach it accordingly. If you have two multi mode chips it will not behave how you would like it. I have not made a 5a amc myself but I have done several 3 board sandwiches(1 multi mode and 2 slave amc) for 3a.

It is hard to explain but there are several posts about amc sandwiches you can pull ideas from. If you used three 1400 ma boards you can theoretically get to 4.2a. I would think that if you added even one more board you could get to the 5a number you are trying to regulate.

I am not sure how much longevity it will have, but it should work as well as the 3a ones that many make for the P7.

Flashaholic

Running two of the shining beam drivers in parallel will give you mixed results. As mentioned stacking a few 4 x AMC7135 boards together and running it with one shining beam driver works great. You have to keep your supply under 6.0 volts which is the spec of the AMC7135 chip, which are also used in the shining beam driver. The shining beam driver has 8 of them on board driven by PWM. If you keep your source to under 4.2 volts you really do not have to worry about heat with this driver. If you push it with 4 NiMH it becomes less efficient but is doable if you heatsink the driver well. Pushing this driver with 2 lithium batteries is a no no in my experience. I have stacked 3 of the 4 X AMC7135 boards together and it drives a SST-50 at a measured 4.2 amps. Initially when I tested the shining beam driver I was only getting 2.36 amps on high, which was a little disappointing. I really did not like the looks of the supplied red and black emitter wires that came attached to the driver. I replaced them with 24 gauge silver plated copper stranded wire and ran another test. I measured a constant 2.81 amps.

[QUOTE=Mettee;3278320]I would not try it that way, however I would make a slave amc and attach it accordingly. If you have two multi mode chips it will not behave how you would like it. QUOTE]

not of you remove one of the chips and bridge to proper cotacts of...
    see this...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=16

Flashaholic*

Good job, so basically you made one SB driver into a single mode "amc" style board. So theoretically you can make a 5a board with a 2 board sandwich. That is cool.

Any pictures of what your finished product looks like.

indeed it is only wiring, and it will be close to the other sandiwch mods - if you have the pace to feed the wires to....(imposiible in a P60 module?

Flashaholic*

The only reason I asked...was because I tried to remove the IC from a multi mode amc before and did not have good luck.

There is room in a custom P60 module, I am currently working on my own since the moddoo ones are so hard to get and they are constantly pushing out newer, cooler, and all around better versions as time goes on. So I figure since I can, I will mod myself and learn something. But I would like to buy one from Moddoo and EG to support their great ideas.

I am curious about how you removed the IC chip and what connections you made to make the two boards work well together. I can order a few SB boards and test on them but I rather not ruin one or more of I dont have to. And I think it would help if I had a schematic of the board and the current paths. I have heard people talk about it but I have never been able to find one, or even seen one.

I have made a ton of amc sandwiches, so I feel good/comfortable about modding the SB boards.

well i did not made a sandwich out of the SB boards...I only made it single mode...

in the thread I pointed you too there is this pic
    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4315/p1010162fx5.jpg

pin pad #1 is the one close to the hole/dimple
    count counter clockwise and bridge pads 6&8....

somehow like this pic (differnt board)
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2923/igp430708.jpg

if you have made sandwiches I really do not understand why yo could not mode AMC7135 boards this way!

Flashaholic*

well after reading your post I did some looking around and I have some ideas on how to approach it. Since you have not done it yet and have no definitive information I will try it out after I order some boards next week and post back.

I have tried to remove the IC from other multi mode boards to make a sandwich and it did not work. I may have done it wrong...who knows. I did try it several ways.

I am pretty sure this is how you would do it, substitute the SB board for these

Last edited by Mettee; 02-18-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgeo View Post
    As mentioned stacking a few 4 x AMC7135 boards together and running it with one shining beam driver works great.
    And that would be slightly less expensive than using two of these 3 mode drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgeo View Post
    You have to keep your supply under 6.0 volts which is the spec of the AMC7135 chip, which are also used in the shining beam driver.
    That is indeed the spec of the chip, but did you (and others) notice the "Reverse-polarity protection prevents wrongly installed batteries from damaging the circuit" claim? That means there's a diode on the Vdd pin which will drop ~0.6 V, so the driver as a whole will actually have a 3.3-6.6 V range. As far as heat goes the thermal protection will likely cut in well under 6.6 V.

Is there an easy way to keep the modes but disable the memory?
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Completely agree with what you guys are saying. I've been working on an SST-90 maglite, using 4xAMC7135 driver boards (1.4A each) as a slave sandwich, with the Shiningbeam 3-mode driver (2.8A/w 22ga wire as pointed out earlier) controlling everything. I just thought I'd post some pics for anyone who's looking for information in this thread and hasn't seen this stuff done before.

As a side note, I've removed 2 of the AMC7135 boards from the sandwich until I figure out a way to run my Batteryspace 26650 batteries in parallel to deliver the current that I'm trying to run. It seems one 26650, with this setup, will only deliver 7.4A according to my DMM. My DMM isn't the best in the world, but it's been pretty accurate so far. Anyway, after removing 2 of the AMC7135 boards, my current readings at the tailcap are 5.7A. Here are a couple of pics:

What is holding it in place once you assemble it? AA?

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 420light View Post
    What is holding it in place once you assemble it? AA?

I used some silicone based thermal adhesive to hold the Shiningbeam driver in place with the 4xAMC7135 sandwich, but it's probably not necessary because once the 22ga teflon coated wire is soldered and the sandwich is connected, it's stiff enough to hold it in place. I don't have anything holding the whole driver assembly to the heatsink. The 22ga wire is pretty short (coming out of the heatsink) and it's stiff, so it really can't go anywhere plus I twisted the driver assembly, while pushing it towards the heatsink.
    Last edited by ti-force; 02-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Pretty cool.

Flashaholic*

nice work on your amc stack! Its a monster.

The only thing I think is that it would be nice to be able to hit 5A with only two boards and no more. So that is why the OP was asking about paralleling two SB boards. This would benefit those of us trying to fit this in a really small package.

oh and Torch, I am pretty sure that the IC has the memory in it, and also the modes. I think the only way would be different programing? Maybe someone else knows different.
    Last edited by Mettee; 02-18-2010 at 01:36 PM.

So, ti-force, is it correct that the four 7135 boards are in parallel with one another and the SB board is in series with and "downstream" of the 7135 set? If this is the case, all of the current must go through the SB board, making me wonder how much current it can pass?

Cool stack but since 1xIMR26650 is not going to be able drive SST-90 to 9Amp even in Direct Drive,
    there's really no need for a buck driver in such application.

All you need is a PWM to control modes like d2flex.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mettee View Post

The only thing I think is that it would be nice to be able to hit 5A with only two boards and no more. So that is why the OP was asking about paralleling two SB boards. This would benefit those of us trying to fit this in a really small package.

oh and Torch, I am pretty sure that the IC has the memory in it, and also the modes. I think the only way would be different programing? Maybe someone else knows different.

Depending on how much room you've got to work with, I have seen someone on here stack the actual 7135 chips on top of each other. I can't remember who did it, but it was pretty darn neat.

Quote Originally Posted by saltytri View Post
    So, ti-force, is it correct that the four 7135 boards are in parallel with one another and the SB board is in series with and "downstream" of the 7135 set? If this is the case, all of the current must go through the SB board, making me wonder how much current it can pass?
    It's my understanding that the atmel chips on these boards don't see much current at all.

This is a better explaination than I can give:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...4&postcount=26

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    Cool stack but since 1xIMR26650 is not going to be able drive SST-90 to 9Amp even in Direct Drive,
    there's really no need for a buck driver in such application.

All you need is a PWM to control modes like d2flex.

I'm actually trying to figure out a good way to run both of my IMR26650's in parallel. I'm hoping that both of those batteries in parallel will supply 9+ Amps. I have some 1", shedule 40 PVC pipe that I cut to length and use to make up the additional inside diameter of the D sized mag body, (for when I use these smaller diameter batteries) and I'm thinking that I can make a parallel battery holder out of it. Any ideas?
    Last edited by ti-force; 02-18-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ti-force View Post
    Depending on how much room you've got to work with, I have seen someone on here stack the actual 7135 chips on top of each other. I can't remember who did it, but it was pretty darn neat.

This is what I'm talking about. I had a board sitting around so I decided to try it out.

Flashaholic*

totally do-able I think.

With that piece of pipe.....

Batteries loaded one on top of the other, a non conductive spacer between. The negative on the bottom battery has to run up to the negative of the top battery. And the same with the positive end of the bottom battery to the positive end of the top. If you follow me....

It would be possible to run wire inside in a cut channel, but I think it would also be able to be run on the outside in a cut channel and it would be easier to cut. Run the wire up the side and into the pipe and connect it to a point on the non conductive spacer where the negative of the top battery sits...

I will just try and draw it really fast, I will be back later

Last edited by Mettee; 02-18-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Could be darkzero's work. Technically not 7135 chips, but close enough.

Flashaholic*

Ti

I was thinking that today thanks for confirming

drew

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post

You're the man! That's exactly what I was talking about. For some reason I was thinking it was 7135's, but I was definitely wrong about that. Thanks for the help, and again, thanks for your help in the other thread.

Ti

I was thinking that today thanks for confirming

drew

No problem. Most of the time I'm just receiving help on here, so it's good to be able to give back to this great community every now and then.

Casey

totally do-able I think.

With that piece of pipe.....

Batteries loaded one on top of the other, a non conductive spacer between. The negative on the bottom battery has to run up to the negative of the top battery. And the same with the positive end of the bottom battery to the positive end of the top. If you follow me....

It would be possible to run wire inside in a cut channel, but I think it would also be able to be run on the outside in a cut channel and it would be easier to cut. Run the wire up the side and into the pipe and connect it to a point on the non conductive spacer where the negative of the top battery sits...

I will just try and draw it really fast, I will be back later

That's pretty darn good for a fast drawing.

Do you know of any place that sells some type of contact tab or maybe just some nickel shims that I could trim as needed. My batteries are flat top so I have to have something that's protruding so my batteries will make contact in this parallel holder.
    Last edited by ti-force; 02-18-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Here are a couple of pics:
    Legendary! Thanks for sharing those.

Quote Originally Posted by saltytri View Post
    No, just the Vdd pins are downstream of the PWM controller. Each Vdd pin draws just 200 µA so it's a total 3.2 mA extra current through the PWM controller for the 16 extra AMC7135s. The PWM controller shouldn't use any more current itself to operate with that increased load.

It's the Vdd pin on the AMC7135 that allows the chip to turn on and off, and works excellently with PWM operation. If the duty cycle is 10% (it's on for 10% of the time, off for 90%) then the driver gets turned on for 10% of the time, resulting in 10% brightness.

Getting it to work is basically a matter of connecting the three pins of the extra AMC7135s to the three pins of the controlled AMC7135s on the SB board.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    That's very impressive.

Do you know if anyone sells some type of contact tab or maybe just some nickel shims that I could trim as needed. My batteries are flat top so I have to have something that's protruding so it will make contact.
    Use a washer under the end of a copper strip and hit the strip above the middle of the washer with the back end of a nail, thereby making a bump in the copper. Well, it's an idea, at least.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post

Use a washer under the end of a copper strip and hit the strip above the middle of the washer with the back end of a nail, thereby making a bump in the copper. Well, it's an idea, at least.

That's an excellent idea. Now I just need to see if I can find some copper strips locally. Thanks for the idea.

Casey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast