Odd beam pattern on new Fenix LD10

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Just got this in the mail today, really nice size and weight, not bad output for a single AA.

I did notice that surrounding the hotspot is a darker donut, which is circled by a brighter thin ring - the thin ring does not go 360 degrees around the donut, maybe about 3/4 of the way around, resulting in an odd beam pattern. I think its caused by the edge of the emitter and not the reflector or bezel.

Its not too annoying, I have to run out, will post beam shot later on. Is this common with this model?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED may be slightly off-center. Usually the rings you are describing are caused by the smooth reflector, and the beam pattern resulting from the metal ring around the XR-E, but I'm pretty sure that the new LD10 uses an XP-E, so that wouldn't be it...

Try using it outside, and in the real world. If the wonky beam pattern still bothers you, try to return it for a new one.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Its an XR-E Q5, with an OP reflector. Cant seem to get a good photo showing the pattern, not sure what setting to put the camera on so it shows up, but its visible to the eye.

I've seen worse, but expected better from Fenix.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Heres a couple of pics, none of my other fenix lights has this secondary thin corona like the LD10, and like I said it doesnt go all the way around. Cant get a great shot of it, but I'm sure some of you guys know what I'm seeing. Anybody have one or an LD20 that looks like this? is it normal or off center LED. otherwise light works fine, although it drains batteries quite fast, I don't think the specs are correct:

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I can live with it, only annoying when white wall hunting, in real world use, it makes no difference.

Now if I could just get this thing to work consistently on a 14500, that would be great. but loses modes and only works on turbo, and sometimes is hard to turn on. protected battery too tight of a fit as well, oh well, hope Fenix has a single AA/14500 light in the future.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The dark ring is fairly typical of Crees with smooth reflectors. There was a good bit of jaw flapping about this when the Cree emitters first came out. Some even set about to try to prove it was just an illusion. Not anything to worry about. Like John_Galt said, the incomplete thin ring is probably from it being slightly off center. Really, your beam shot looks pretty good. I don't think I'd be concerned.

Geoff

Latest posts