clueless newbie - modify C2 - how 2 start

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I want to buy a C2 and modify it. Do I buy a C2 in HAIII from a store and then do the modifying or is there some way to buy a new C2 HAIII without the led/reflector and start building from there? I want more output than the upgraded SureFire LED gives (I guess a Malkoff M61??) and I want a forward clicky that stays "ON" when you press it. Any idea how much all of this will cost me?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
p

pwatcher

Enlightened
try to buy the C2 here on marketplace, or if necessary ebay. you should be able to get a near new or nib for between $60 and $70 if you're a bit patient. then a Malkoff drop in would transform it into a beauty. just decide between tint (if you will be using outside mostly, go for a warm/neutral tint for better color rendition). and decide between throw and flood, altho Malkoff's new M61 is supposedly a nice balance between both. and then decide on level of output since the C2 is a single output level, and Malkoff makes low and low-low modules that will give better runtimes if that's important.

You're starting on the right track!

Visit Malkoff's website for much more info, and pricing. I think you'll see some good deals on M60 modules on the marketplace too - I've gotten a couple for just $40 or so!

Paul

DM51

Flashaholic
pwatcher's idea sounds pretty good. You'll have trouble getting your hands on a Malkoff M61 for a while, as they're only just out and there's something of a feeding frenzy going on, lol. The M60 is a great alternative.

This is a modification you can easily do yourself - it just involves unscrewing the head and replacing the LA with the drop-in, so I'm moving your thread out of the Custom Builders & Modders section into LED Flashlights.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
That's fine...I thought I did my due diligence and decided this was the best place to post.
I've checked ebay and didn't see much, I was going to just buy a new SF C2 for $139.00...so I guess I will wait. I thought the M61 would have more lumens than 260 OTF.
Thanks,
p

pwatcher

Enlightened
re M61, that will be my next purchase from Malkoff, however I have several M60 dropins as well and each does its job wonderfully. again, depends what you want. if brightness, a straight M60 is going to be pretty bright, putting to shame the P60 or even P61 incan lamp from the C2. there's a C2 on ebay right now at $50, with 4 days remaining. I've had it on my watch list in case it sells cheap!

you could also put a WTB post in the marketplace for a C2 and Malkoff M60?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too bad, the P60L's output is rather anemic compared to most aftermarket dropins, but for a mere 5 dollars more than the incan model it's a great deal.

pwatcher

Enlightened
I'm sure I could done have done better if I waited, however, I decided to purchase this for $99. Seems like a good deal.
http://www.batterystation.com/cpf5.htm
smart buy - nice going. at some point, you'll need to consider selling the SF p60l led lamp assembly on marketplace, as it's only good for 80 lumens (maybe a little more, as SF is conservative). http://www.surefire.com/C2L

Still, if you can get $25 or more for the p60l, and then turn around and buy a much higher output module from Malkoff, you'll have a wonderful combination!

In the meantime, you have a very usable light and a terrific host for future upgrades!

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!! I just don't get why anyone would pay $25 for an 80 lumen LED? A few bucks more and they should at least get the 120 lumen or spend a little more and get a drop-in with a significant upgrade.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because it's a surefire product, the name and reputation command a bit of a premium given the level of output. Also, it's usually not even 80 lumens. Maybe for the first few seconds after turn on, but once the module warms up it quickly drops to 50-70 lumens, depending on whether it's a metal or plastic light.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few P60Ls, and wish I'd kept the one that came with my C2L instead of selling it.
It fits the SC1 spare carrier, which no other drop-in I'm aware of does, and while it may not be the hottest thing going, it would make an inexpensive backup.
LEDs fail, circuits fail, connections fail...whatever you put in there, no matter who makes it, has the potential for failure, so having a spare on hand is never a bad thing.
Also, if you continue in this hobby, at some point in time or another, you may end up in a situation like me, with more hosts than you have drop-ins. After whittling down my accumulation to a bare minimum, I'm left with one full size P60 host, some accessories, a need for ONE extra light, and no more drop-ins, since both my remaining Malkoffs are on E series bodies in VME bezels. It would be nice to have something in there, but I'm not going to go out and buy anything just to have temporarily while waiting for stuff that should be released soon. Should have kept that last P60L.

For the clicky, you can get a SF Z58, or mod the stock Z41-HA tailcap with this(scroll down to switch upgrade kit):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248609
The adaptor uses the McClicky switch, which is easily replaced, so you can have a spare or two in case of a failure(yeah, they also have that potential). Switch boots wear out, too, so if you get one, might as well get a couple extras of those. I'm not high about the switch button protruding a little more, and don't prefer the feel of my McClickies over the Z58 on my C2, but you can upgrade your stock switch, and have a couple of extra switches and boots for about what the SF clickie tailcap will cost. Pretty good deal...

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! Once I get my C2, I'll be back here posting more questions. For example, which M60 to get unless the M61 becomes available.

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
WAIT!!!!!! Before you go getting a stock SF. Do a search on ElectronGuru . He offers new SF in all flavors that have been bored to accept 18650 or 16340 cells . This opens up the world of guilt free lumens on SF lights!!! It only costs about $25 more to get the same light bored.
Its worth it unless you only go primaries in which case disregard my yelling at you :D

pm91

Newly Enlightened
No problem...I'm not into rechargeables at this point. I probably won't be.
Thanks,
p

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Here's a question...are Malkoff drop-ins the only ones worth purchasing? I'm not sure I can wait for the M61, so which one should I get? I like cool white light not warm and I like the beam pattern of the NiteCore NDI.
Jeez, this flashlight is going to cost me $200 - $100 for the flashlight, $50 for the drop-in, and $50 for the SF clicky. I REALLY think this will cure my flashlight cravings for awhile. I was able to control myself when I went through my knife stage, just by buying a few of the better knives.
Thanks,
paul

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Dudes, don't hang me out to dry now. I got my c2L - it's pretty cool, slightly more green than I care for, but it's fine. I already order the Z58 click-on from SureFire - not a fan of the momentary. Now I need a drop-in and I don't know what to get - I like the beam of the NDI and I'm not a fan of yellow/warm. Should I get the M61? Also, do I have to worry about voltages and shock absorbing head? If so, I'm clueless and would appreciate if if someone would point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
p

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite malkoff is the M60F. It's the most useful EDC drop-in, IMHO, and puts out a more useable (floody) beam.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - I prefer slightly more throwy than flood and definitely more cool than warm...any idea which model that would be? I've been to the website, maybe I should send them an email. Are Malkoff's the BEST drop-in?

pwatcher

Enlightened
with any of the Malkoff M60's in your C2, you don't have to worry about voltages or shock absorbing head. Sounds like you should scout for a M60F if you value short range flood, or a straight M60 if you value long distance throw the most. Or, a M60L if you value run time over maximum brightness. Keep watching market place. You'll probably have to pay $45-50 right now for one of these, depending how much of a hurry you are in. The M61 would be the best, but supply may not catch up to demand for a few weeks/months, and it will cost about $65 shipped from Malkoff even with the CPF discount applied.