Olight - R50        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing with the RadioShack 22-812 Meter

Default Re: Playing with the RadioShack 22-812 Meter

Oh, I didn't notice there were new comments on this thread. Sorry Bryan! I hope you got your problems sorted.

@tjb20171: The code posted above makes heavy use of the Windows API. It absolutely will only compile and run on a Windows machine with the Windows SDK, probably only using Visual Studio. I have no idea if it could be made to work with Dev-C++. I recommend you obtain and use the free Visual C++ Express compiler from Microsoft.
    Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
    Oh, I didn't notice there were new comments on this thread. Sorry Bryan! I hope you got your problems sorted.

@tjb20171: The code posted above makes heavy use of the Windows API. It absolutely will only compile and run on a Windows machine with the Windows SDK, probably only using Visual Studio. I have no idea if it could be made to work with Dev-C++. I recommend you obtain and use the free Visual C++ Express compiler from Microsoft.

Hi Mr. Happy - glad you're not dead like I thought might have been the case.
    Nope, never could get Meterview to be reliable - even when using two computers with one meter connected to each - seems like Meterview can only collect data for so long (if I remember correctly, something like 24 hours) before it screws up. - The friend I was working with on this required days of data.

As for rsdmm, I got the timestamp issue under control by running the following (free version) of an app called "Timer Resolution"
    http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Never could solve the com port mystery, but I didn't really care aas long as the ohms and amps data were correct.

As an aside, for anyone who likes the realtime graphing feature of Meterview (like my friend does) I ended up using the following "LiveGraph" program along with rsdmm and got pretty good results. However, I really wished I was more of a programmer so I could combine the two into one standalone program.
    http://www.live-graph.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan_W View Post
    Never could solve the com port mystery, but I didn't really care as long as the ohms and amps data were correct.
    There is no mystery about the com ports. The com port is not written to the output data.

The first number is a time stamp in the format HH:MM:SS.ss, where .ss is the fractional part of the seconds.

The second number is the same time stamp in seconds alone for ease of plotting.

The third, fourth, fifth and sixth entries are for the first meter. They are, in order:

- the number of samples collected in the current interval
    - the average value of those samples
    - the lowest sample value collected
    - the highest sample value collected

It is a mystery to me why some of your data shows the number of samples as 4 when the expected number should be more like 230, and I have no idea why this should be. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan_W View Post
    As an aside, for anyone who likes the realtime graphing feature of Meterview (like my friend does) I ended up using the following "LiveGraph" program along with rsdmm and got pretty good results. However, I really wished I was more of a programmer so I could combine the two into one standalone program.
    http://www.live-graph.org/
    That LiveGraph app looks interesting. I'll check it out.

I was thinking about making RSDMM into an Excel plug-in so it could record data directly to a sheet and plot the graph live, but I have never got around to it. Maybe one day...

Thanks for both replies And thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of those columns.

As for the livegraph:
    1. I had better luck with the 2.0 beta version.
    2. If I remember correctly, on both versions I sometimes had trouble getting Livegraph to "do it's thing". I think it had something to do with having to tell it what logfile to read before rsdmm writes the first (maybe second) row.

If anyone is still watching this thread, I was able to get a Tek Power TP4000ZC multimeter on ebay for under $40. It has basically the same kind of bit-to-LCD segment protocol as the Radio Shack 22-812 but uses different bits. You can figure out which bits control which LCD segments by decoding the decimal values it outputs for some fixed reading (i.e. 000.0 mV). In addition to voltage readings, you can figure out bits for other types of measurements to monitor current draw, resistance, etc.

Geoff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12