EDC options to replace McLux-PD/E1B

csa

Enlightened
I used to EDC a McLux-PD. It was just about perfect in every regard - long runtime, the dual outputs were both good levels, the tritium vial in the tailcap helped me to find it in the dark. Then I lost it a while ago chasing a drunk friend around in the dark trying to get him to calm down and let us take him home. (as an aside, anybody found a PD in their berkeley backyard with a slightly squished positive bead and a couple dents on the bezel?)

Since then, I've been EDCing an E1B, which I like less well. My main complaints are that the pocket clip is less secure than my PD, it comes on in "bright" mode, and the beam pattern has too much throw. I don't need "tactical" light to blind people or light things up 50 feet away, I need light that illuminates things within 5-10 feet. I want the dimmer setting to be the first output, and the beam pattern needs to be spread enough that I can actually read a book on the dim setting - the E1B has a center spot that is so bright you can't comfortably read with it.

Am I best off just looking for a used PD since it worked so well for me? Should I try to get in on whatever Don's currently making? Are there other lights I don't know about, having been out of the flashaholic scene for a number of years?

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SunDrop XR-U is great for close illumination.

You could also get an F04 diffuser for your E1b, although that wont solve your other issues with it.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take this as an opportunity to try some new lights. There are many newer lights with an amazing output. Many newer UI.Take a look at the nitecore D10 v2 with XPG led.Quarks have a great selection different sized lights ,clicky or twist.
I think I would look into a smaller EDC maybe even some custom like Aeon.

good luck.

carrot

Flashaholic
You may in fact like the Haiku, which is the current offering but does not have the PD switch. Or you may like the Arc6, which is remarkably like the McLux, but a bit smaller and with a floodier beam. I wrote a review on the Arc6, and it may help you decide.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the UI of the E1B except the order, the E1L has it reversed. Stick a F04 diffuser on it, or remove the lens and put diffusing film between it and the optic for a "permanent" floody beam.
I do this with a E2L that mudman cj modded for me with a neutral emitter and reflector, and though I occasionally remove it, the diffusing film always goes right back in. Started out with the LDF from flashlightlens.com, but tried the diffuser kit for SF's firefighter light, and kept the least diffusive one in there. I'm always open to trying new stuff, but like it better in actual use than anything I've seen to date.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
Once you have had a PD , I doubt too many other lites will please you . Try for a used one . I too pack an E1B , I'm afraid of loseing my PD which would be hard to replace . I like the E1B , but I'm not too pleased with the clip , so I have to carry it in a holster . I guess on balance it's OK , but not as suitable as my PD .

Chris

csa

Enlightened
How does the beam pattern on the Arc6 compare to the Arc4? I replaced the Arc4 with the McLux precisely because the Arc had too much throw. The LS-L was a better compromise.

The Aeon looks like a nice light, but I'm looking for a 1x123 for the belt, not a keychain light. The nightcore doesn't have 2 levels does it?

I actually do have the diffuser for the E1B, but it tends to come off and get caught on things in regular use. :(

The Sundrop XR-U and the Haiku both look like good bets. I'm not tied to the PD switch (if anything, it required too much force to actuate), so other options are certainly on the table.

carrot

Flashaholic
Compared to the PD, the Arc6 has more flood. You will also need to buy a replacement spring because the one it comes with is too hard.

Last edited: