Terralux TLE-US drop-in

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with this drop-in for the Ultrastinger?

http://www.brightguy.com/products/TerraLUX_TLE-US_LED_Module_for_UltraStinger.php

I had never heard of it until I got the recent email advert from BrightGuy. My Ultrastinger is a nice light and I use it for taking out the trash, getting the mail, etc. But the runtime is pretty limited, so an LED upgrade that extended runtime without degrading the output would be an interesting product.

optodoofus

HenryMudd

Newly Enlightened
I came here looking for the exact same information. I see on Brightguys web site that the regular bulb is rated at 295 lumens and the drop in is rated at 300 on high.

I would really like to hear from somone that has used this drop in, or has measured the actual lumens from the two setups.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
I have the multi-mode version of this drop-in (i'm guessing its maybe an XP-G R4 or R5?). I got it when my last US incan bulb burned out, so I couldn't make a direct visual comparison between the drop-in and the incan bulb. But I'd say IMHO the output is pretty close, with the incan bulb maybe just edging out the drop-in. Sorry but I don't have any equipment to measure lux and/or lumens.
Like HenryMudd I also noticed the drop-in rated at 300 lumens and the incan rated at 295. It seems like TerraLux was going for a similar level of output with a longer runtime, which they seem to have accomplished. Personally I'm a bit disappointed by TerraLux in that regard. The way I see it, this UltraStinger drop-in should have been made for the Stinger HP instead, with an MC-E, P7, or SST-50 used for the UltraStinger drop-in.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Mine should be here tomorrow, the multi mode version.

Overall would you consider it a winner? I love my US and dont really wanna stop using it.

I think its only a matter of time before Streamlight updates the US and SL20 to LED, given there track record of other LED updated products.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
CDP930: I hope your right about Streamlight upgrading the UltraStinger, hopefully they'll use an MC-E, P7, or SST-50.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Mine should be here tomorrow, the multi mode version.

Overall would you consider it a winner? I love my US and dont really wanna stop using it.

I think its only a matter of time before Streamlight updates the US and SL20 to LED, given there track record of other LED updated products.

So how is this upgrade in person? Worth buying for the Ultrastinger?

Lolaralph

Enlightened
I have the multi mode drop in, I much prefer it to the incan. bulb. I have no way to actually measure lumens, but I think that my drop in is at least as bright as the original bulb. Something interesting happened with mine, it would not work the way the instructions stated to install, as far as the polarity of the drop in, my US is the older version,that may explain it. Another thing that I did was to grind,file,mill the back of my reflector where the spring seats, this allowed me to get a much better focus of the beam, I found this necessary with my stinger HP upgrade as well

tigers2007

Newly Enlightened
I just found this item on the web. So is the final word that it is the same or better than the original xenon bulb setup? I used this flashlight for years at work and I've probably replaced six bulbs. In fact, I kept a bulb nearby at all times. Great light, VERY bright too (75,000cp per Streamlight) with the Xenon.

I wonder if someone could post beamshots.