Maglite LED mod

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Hello there, this is my second post on this website.

anyway, this might have already been done before, but can I drop in a 5-LED housing into my Maglite? My dad saw how bright my $12 DX flashlight is, and how much brighter it is than his Maglite. But he doesnt like the idea of using 18650 batteries. He really loves the size and feel of giant maglite's, and he'll only use C or D batteries. So is it possible?

will this fit in my dad's maglite? I looks identical to this:

[hotlinked image removed - see Rule 3. - DM51]

if it is possible, how easy is it?

THANKS for reading :twothumbs

Last edited by a moderator:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:See: Malkoff, Mac's Customs, for some great Mag drop-ins.
Mac is on the way to making a beauty of an MC-E drop-in for a 3-4D mag ($89). It is a work of art and will blow your mind. The Malkoffs ($69) are also just as gorgeous and will also make you go 'Wow'.

The one you're looking at from DX needs to have a bit of modifying to get it to fit and solder in some wiring. Took me less than an hour to do this with the SSC-P7 module they sell. Works well enough and is cheap. But you'll need some Nimh batteries to get the best out of it. And it's a gamble with the longevity of these cheapies. Be sure to use plenty of heat sinking compound to get the heat from the module to the bezel.

Spend the extra on the Malkoff or Mac drop-ins. You won't regret it.:twothumbs

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired the Malkoff drop in for a 3 D cell Maglite, and it totally transformed the light. I also bought his pre-cut reflector, so all I had to do was drop in this assembly and tighten a screw. The Drop-in Module provides a real 260 lumens out the front, and the beam pattern is awesome.

The downside is actually getting Malkoff products. They're almost always out of stock. You must sign up to be notified as to when they're available, and then get it in your cart and paid for before the others also waiting deplete the supply.

Here's a link to Malkoff drop-in for MagLite:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-mod-dropin-lamp-assembly-for-maglite-c-1_25.html