Proper Way to Sell Guns?

clintb

Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm not looking to openly sell any guns here, rather, to find out the proper (legal) way to go about selling a gun I currently own. I have an Ithaca model 27(?) Featherlight 20ga shotgun that was inherited from my father when he passed. I've found that I have no need for it, thus would like to sell. What is the proper channel to do so these days? Any special paperwork, permits, etc...?

clintb

Enlightened
I did run across that one last night, so it's good to have confirmation. I'll check it out a bit more.

Thanks!

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I am not a lawyer.

I don't think there are any federal requirements as long as you don't buy or sell it across state lines. Some states may have different requirements.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intrastate transfers are legal without an FFL. Interstate transfers must go through an FFL in the recipient's state at least. Some FFLs will not accept transfers from non-licensees in other states.

Databyter

Enlightened
It sounds like you guys are talking about handgun rules.

Please tell me that those rules are not now applying to 20 Ga. Shotguns?

There isn't even a waiting period to buy a shotgun last I checked.

Do you really need a FFL for that?

oronocova

Enlightened
Check your state laws. I just bought one tonight off a guy, perfectly legal. I'm not sure if you will get as much at a pawn shop, I'd probably just list them in a paper or take them to a gun show.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
It sounds like you guys are talking about handgun rules.

Please tell me that those rules are not now applying to 20 Ga. Shotguns?

There isn't even a waiting period to buy a shotgun last I checked.

Do you really need a FFL for that?

I believe you cannot normally sell shotguns across state lines unless a FFL is involved.