Applying V10 to a heatsink pedestal

737mech

Enlightened
I have been wanting to play with some GID powder for a while and I finally ordered some V10 powder from Glowinc.com. I ordered 1oz so hopefully this is enough to experiment with to get the feel of the mix ratio and how to appy it. I will use Devcon crystal clear 2 ton 30 minute epoxy. My goal is to apply it to a Mag SST-50 build I am putting together. I want to apply it to the pedestal and around the emmiter like I have seen a few modders do. I am confident I can pull this off with decent results once I mess around and experiment a bit before I apply it to my build. I am looking for any tips or tricks anyone might want to share or lessons learned the hard way. Specifically the best way to contain the epoxy/GID to just the pedestal. I was thinking blue painters tape would probably work.
:candle:

Last edited:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I have been wanting to play with some GID powder for a while and I finally ordered some V10 powder from Glowinc.com. I ordered 1oz so hopefully this is enough to experiment with to get the feel of the mix ratio and how to appy it. I will use Devcon crystal clear 2 ton 30 minute epoxy. My goal is to apply it to a Mag SST-50 build I am putting together. I want to apply it to the pedestal and around the emmiter like I have seen a few modders do. I am confident I can pull this off with decent results once I mess around and experiment a bit before I apply it to my build. I am looking for any tips or tricks anyone might want to share or lessons learned the hard way. Specifically the best way to contain the epoxy/GID to just the pedestal. I was thinking blue painters tape would probably work.
:candle:

Thats a bummer nobody replied to your thread. Im also looking for similar advice. What type of glue are you using to mix with the v-10 glow powder? Also, your buying a full ounce!? I thought a 1/4 ounce is enough, should I buy more?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use electrical tape to form a mould around the pedestal
so that it is like a cup with the emitter in the middle
I then use a syringe to apply the v10/epoxy mixture
into the mould. Another way to do it is to put your
mixture in a small plastic bag and snip a tiny bit of the corner
off and just squeeze to apply the mixture
Once cured, just peel the tape away.

Search for posts by Dark Zero and Sgt Led on getting the mixture
right

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used clear epoxy and the glow powder from GlowInc. in my Apsherical Maglite mod and it worked great. I didn't use a definite ratio of epoxy and glow powder but you have to make sure that you don't use to much glow powder. When you use too much the glow-powder-epoxy-mix will get to thick and you won't get a smooth surface.

rayman

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire A10 has grooves along the body. Would epoxy be strong enough to keep in place for decent amount of time? I've put some blue in one and green V10 in the other, green already fell out, but the smaller-grained blue is still in there. Used Norland. Would epoxy work better for that situation?