"Dazzler" vomit inducing flashlight

spc

Enlightened
2d maglite- DD p7- 3c nimh cells- d2flex with strobe. Around 100 bones, done. If you stare into it long enough you may vomit, you can also stare into a novatac strobe long enough and vomit.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's our government dollars at work! :thumbsup:

I can't think of one good use for this light, except maybe for interrogation.....

U

user1016

That's our government dollars at work! :thumbsup:

I can't think of one good use for this light, except maybe for interrogation.....

If the informant you are trying to interrogate is emetophobic, it would work!

I know it would work on me, I hate puking. I suppose it would be good for incapacitation if it were instant.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys.

Is anyone here able to make "The Dazzler"? I'm very interested in getting one for messing about with at home. I'd be willing to pay for the entire thing if someone is able to build it.
Information on how to make it is available here:

http://ladyada.net/make/bedazzler/

Seems like an interesting device.

Sure, I could make one. I'm sure lots of people on this forum could. The problem is in motivation. Either it works and I puke when I test it, or it doesn't work. Either way, what's in it for me? Being an engineer, I make people sick enough just showing up. What do I need this for?

If I could sell half a dozen of these, it might be amusing enough to take on. But when you get the first one, and report that it doesn't work, I'll be left with the other five. Every time I look at them and think of the lost time and money, I'll want to puke...

D

The Coach

Enlightened
Sorry James, I tried 3 times, but just couldn't finish it.

liberaleffect.jpg

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, yes it could be built. I imagine I could build it with $ 300 worth of off-the shelf parts plus another $ 300 of custom parts in a slightly different housing.

Time to build - at least 30 - 40 hours of looking up parts, buying, and assy x $ 50 / hour.

That's about $ 600 + $ 1,500 = kind of expensive IMHO but if you are really interested, let me know.

If it were my money, I would put that into some other lights instead, or perhaps consider to build it yourself. Either way it would be a "one off" sort of project.

EDIT: BTW - if someone thinks my numbers are way off, please feel free to comment on why. Thanks.

Last edited:
U

user1016

Hi, yes it could be built. I imagine I could build it with $ 300 worth of off-the shelf parts plus another $ 300 of custom parts in a slightly different housing.

Time to build - at least 30 - 40 hours of looking up parts, buying, and assy x $ 50 / hour.

That's about $ 600 + $ 1,500 = kind of expensive IMHO but if you are really interested, let me know.

If it were my money, I would put that into some other lights instead, or perhaps consider to build it yourself. Either way it would be a "one off" sort of project.

EDIT: BTW - if someone thinks my numbers are way off, please feel free to comment on why. Thanks.

Fair enough yeah I'd rather save my money.

I'd really love a nice strong mod for my Maglite 4D if you guys can recommend any?

U

user1016

LED or incan?

LED if possible. =) (Provided it's true that they are better on battery life).

I'm still relatively new to the whole concept of flashlight modification, so if it can be summarized in a nutshell, is there any particular advantage to incandescent and negative point to LEDS?

I haven't had the time to mess with them much but I always found that I preferred the Incandescent bulbs on my Maglite due to the fact that the flood was strong and consistent (sharp at the edges) wheras the LED cast a flood that was soft, and rather than consistent, was still only mildly bright in the centre whilst transitioning to a soft darker white about 75% of the way on the way out of the flood.

My Maglite 3D (Seoul P7 mod) definitely overcame this issue however so I guess it's just the fact that the LED is just not big enough to sit at the base of the reflector cone enough to spread the light evenly.

mrartillery

Enlightened
LED if possible. =) (Provided it's true that they are better on battery life).

I'm still relatively new to the whole concept of flashlight modification, so if it can be summarized in a nutshell, is there any particular advantage to incandescent and negative point to LEDS?

I haven't had the time to mess with them much but I always found that I preferred the Incandescent bulbs on my Maglite due to the fact that the flood was strong and consistent (sharp at the edges) wheras the LED cast a flood that was soft, and rather than consistent, was still only mildly bright in the centre whilst transitioning to a soft darker white about 75% of the way on the way out of the flood.

My Maglite 3D (Seoul P7 mod) definitely overcame this issue however so I guess it's just the fact that the LED is just not big enough to sit at the base of the reflector cone enough to spread the light evenly.

Sounds like the led youre talkin about is the lights where they cram 50 led's in a head and have absolutely NO throw, you have to look past those chinese lights. ;)

I've always preferred incan, but everyone's different. I just prefer the tint of the light and incan's have massive output which ive always enjoyed! :D But of course theres good and bad to both, you just need to decide which you like best.

U

user1016

Sounds like the led youre talkin about is the lights where they cram 50 led's in a head and have absolutely NO throw, you have to look past those chinese lights. ;)

I've always preferred incan, but everyone's different. I just prefer the tint of the light and incan's have massive output which ive always enjoyed! :D But of course theres good and bad to both, you just need to decide which you like best.

Ah I do know the one you mean but nah, it was a standard Maglite factory LED.

Those chinese ones crammed with 50 LEDS and a short tube for a reflector are just rubbish and I can't believe how bad they are. They could get ten times better lighting by taking just ONE of those LEDs in their lamps and putting it into a configuration with a cone reflector.

I do prefer Incan as it does put out a hell of a lot of light, and the tint is warm and nice, wheras LEDs seem to give out a cold pale tint (in my opinion), still, whatever is best for longer battery life.