Please Help 18650 Battery

carl8190

Banned
Ive brought a 900 lumen eagletac torch and I want to use 18650 batteries but what ones are the real ones I see so many different types of ultrafire Some are called trustfire but all these batteries have different mah levels are they all copies :S Im so confused hope someone can help.

1) ebay.co.uk/2-x-Ultrafire-1650-3000mAh-Li-Ion-Rechargeable-Battery_W0QQitemZ16036e3372478QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM?hash=item3255 666dfbe

2) ebay.co.uk/ULTRAFIRE-18650-BATTERIES-X-2-RECHARGEABLE-PROTECTED_W0QoQitemZ2 50570e008349QQ cmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM?hash=item3a5722e71d

3) ebay.co.uk/TRUSTFIRE-18650-BATTERIES-x-2-RECHARGEABLE-2500mAh-3-7v_W0QQitemZ260555362152 e_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM?hash=item3caa4f4f68

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
I've corrupted those links, as they aren't permitted here. The alternative would have been to delete them.

My advice, which you will hear repeated by many others: NEVER buy batteries on eBay. It's the worst possible source for them. The most consistently recommended Li-Ion cells are made by AW - you can get them via his sale thread here.

I'll move your thread to the Batteries section.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought four Ultrafire 18650 cells from Ebay and they have been OK ... I have two unprotected and two protected from different sellers ... I did a partial discharge test on one for 90 minutes using a Romisen RC-U4 and there was still a lot of charge left in the cell ... All the cells seem to be holding their charge and performing well ... As yet, I don't know how many cycles they will stand up to ... They will only be charged (or topped up) a few times per year ... I may have been lucky with my purchases.

I also bought four Ultrafire 18650 protected cells from DX which seem to be working great.

I realise that it might be better (safer ?) to buy from someone like AW, but there is a huge price difference and based on my own experience I will most probably buy again from either Ebay or DX.

To DM51 --- I am sorry that my personal findings are different to yours and to other users, but it is based on my personal experiences of only eight cells ... I am not suggesting that anyone else buys from DX or Ebay, as I may have just been very lucky with my purchases.

DM51

Flashaholic
I have bought four Ultrafire 18650 cells from Ebay and they have been OK ... I have two unprotected and two protected from different sellers ... I did a partial discharge test on one for 90 minutes using a Romisen RC-U4 and there was still a lot of charge left in the cell ... All the cells seem to be holding their charge and performing well ... As yet, I don't know how many cycles they will stand up to ... They will only be charged (or topped up) a few times per year ... I may have been lucky with my purchases.

I also bought four Ultrafire 18650 protected cells from DX which seem to be working great.

I realise that it might be better (safer ?) to buy from someone like AW, but there is a huge price difference and based on my own experience I will most probably buy again from either Ebay or DX.

To DM51 --- I am sorry that my personal findings are different to yours and to other users, but it is based on my personal experiences of only eight cells ... I am not suggesting that anyone else buys from DX or Ebay, as I may have just been very lucky with my purchases.
No need to be sorry! We all have different experiences which shape our varying opinions.

Yes, there is a price difference between AW and others. My own views, based on personal experience and many threads on the subject of brands of Li-Ion cells, are that:
1. AW is the best and most reliable brand I have come across, and the majority of other experienced CPFers seem to agree on this
2. Ultrafire cells are notoriously unreliable and inconsistent in performance
3. eBay is an even worse source of cells than DX
4. You may get lucky or unlucky with a particular brand. None has a 100% record, but some are startlingly better than others
5. With Li-Ion cells, it is unwise to take unnecessary chances

That is just my own opinion. So really, it's a matter of researching here and going by the opinions of those who know most about the subject. There are many members here who are knowledgeable about batteries - SilverFox being by common consent pre-eminent.

1 what

Enlightened
Another vote for AW.
I've tried a few others and some of them seem OK (and some not) but all my AW's are still alive and well.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Alright, let's talk about charger options. I've heard the Pila charger for various sizes of li-ion spoken well of. Are there other good options for less money, or is it best not to take chances there, either? I know that it is recommended to remove the cell immediately on completing charging and to check cell voltage with a DMM after charging on say an UF-139. Is that enough to ensure battery safety/longevity or is a charger in that price range still kind of inadequate?

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire 3000mA / Not the best for high discharge applications , a good battery if your looking at 1A or less ...

dx/sku.26247
dx/sku.20392
These two would be the ones I would be looking at if re-stocking 18650's right now ...

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll add to the recommendation for AW batteries.

You should also be aware that the mAh ratings of the cells are products of marketing departments, not from test data or actual capacity. Larger claimed capacity means only that the marketing department is less conscientious about telling the truth.

c_c