Tactical Tomahawks

tundratrader

Enlightened
I need a Tomahawk to carry firefighting. Well I really dont need one but I want one. I am leaning towards the RMJ tactical shrike. It looks about perfect except for not having prying capability on the butt. I wish the Benchmade was out and people had reviews of it.

I am sure some of you junkies have hawks. Which ones do you like? What do you like about it? How is the sheath setup? Pics?

Thanks
Zach

tundratrader

Enlightened
I cant find a pic of one anywhere. I know they were one of the first people in the newest round of the tactical hawk game. The local(250 miles away) knife shop here Northern Knives said that they have sold quite a few of the k5 hawks to guys shipping out. They have aluminum handles which I dont think would be that amazing for the fireground. The Shrike is composite handle that also would be safe if you hacked into a wall with live electric.

vtxrecruiter

Newly Enlightened
I didn't know that there was a lot of CQB in firefighting. Couldn't you just blind your attacker with the hose?
Just kidding, I have the RMJ forge, and they are really well made. Most of my unit bought them when we realized that in blade cultures (dirka dirkas) firearms don't intimidate like a crazy mean blade does. Plus, you get the advantage of "can opener" action on a car.

P.S. I have been in lots of firefights, does that mean I am a firefighter too?

bdusseau

Newly Enlightened
Look into a Strider CR hatchet. They are basically a jackhammer. They were designed for pararescue personnel. It won't come cheap though as it is made of Ti and S7 steel(literally jackhammer steel). The handle is made from heat resistant plastic. Good luck on your search.

tundratrader

Enlightened
I can not find a CR anywhere. If anyone knows where to get one or has one they want to sell or trade. I would be interested.

That being said I just ordered a Shrike today. I am super pumped. I even got a deal for being rescue personnel.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is old but I saw this at a local group shoot. And I instantly thought Tactical Tomahawk but slightly different.

Custom Kydex over the shoulder holster.
45926942236e4470d0deb.jpg

gorn

Enlightened
I gave my son a cold steel Vietnam hawk that I had carried in my gear bag as a Deputy Sheriff for years. He brought it to Iraq with him. He is an Airborne Scout/Sniper and was there for 15 months.

He was glad to have it one night when his teams hide was over run by a pack of wild dogs. They couldn't use firearms because the hide was in the middle of a real bad guy area. While his soldiers only had knives, he was able to use the hawk to fight the dogs off. He describes wild Iraqi dogs as "evil". He also carried it for a year in Afghanistan.

He is stationed in Alaska and is looking to get a new one to carry while camping and hunting up there.

tundratrader

Enlightened
Wow that is an amazing story. I think for hunting a camping a hammer pole might be best. Northern Knives in Anchorage had the Benchmade tactical tomahawk the last time I was in there. They are great guys to deal with. If he in active duty possibly being deployed again RMJ tactical will get him set up as well.

Zach

gorn

Enlightened
GG&G Battle AXE

S7 Steel:twothumbs

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=141

That one is cool looking but i'm not sure how practical the design is. One of the considerations my son had was weight. His ruck would top 150 pounds and that thing being full tang steel looks heavier than the LaGana (Vietnam) hawks. The new American Tactical LaGana has a nylon handle which is nice, light and real hard to destroy. And it's half the price of the battle axe.

If I was to get one to actually use for defense/combat I'd get the tried and true Vietnam style.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not find a CR anywhere. If anyone knows where to get one or has one they want to sell or trade. I would be interested.

That being said I just ordered a Shrike today. I am super pumped. I even got a deal for being rescue personnel.

Zach - Did you ever get your Shrike?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
George "Mercop" Matheis of Modern Combative Systems is a big fan of the RMJ Shrike. He slashed, punctured, and cut open a steel drum with one at this year's BLADE Show.