need advice building a super bright spotlight

Stirdy

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know how to create an extremely bright spot light, which could be ran on relatively low power.My idea is to make an outdoor art sculpture that will project a beam of light straight up into the sky, bright enough to be seen from a distance. I would like to assemble an array of lights to form a circle (perhaps a 4ft. dia.) with an open center that would be mounted maybe 10 ft. above the ground so people could walk under an look up through the lights. Obviously there would be nothing to see other than sky, but I like the idea of seeing a beam of light from a long ways away and to be able to look up through that beam.The sculputure would only be on display for a couple of weeks and would only need to be powered for a few hours each night. Also, I would really like for the lights to powered (or at least supplemented) by solar panels with a large bank of batteries.Any ideas on how I could achieve this? LED's ? Halogens? What about gas lamps?

tsmccull

Newly Enlightened
Six or eight of the Sunforce 25M CP spotlights available at Northern Tool? Arrange them in a circle, run 12V power to each so you're not running off the internal batteries, and turn 'em on as long as you want. Sell the extras whenever you're done with the display and your costs will have been minimal. KISS principle.

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
Well, since you're going to project a beam, the first thing you need to take into account is your viewing angle - 5-15 degrees should be sufficient. Next, you're going to need to take into account the distance you need to illuminate. You're also wanting to make a circle with an open center, so you'll likely need to take into account some sort of offset mounting angle so that you may make a more compact unit while still being able to make what you want illumination-wise.

Really recommend using LEDs. You'll likely need at minimum 1w diodes. For powering the system, a couple of small 10w solar panels, a couple of deep-cycle marine batteries (12v), a small 50w power inverter, and a trace charge controller would be all you'd need to power it, if it's only going to be on a few hours a night. That should be sufficient.

Don't get a wide-angle LED and use a focusing lens - just buy LEDs designed for a narrow viewing angle.

Good luck with your project, and have fun!

Stirdy

Newly Enlightened
Would combining several spotlights of various wattage and CP in a circle give a good throw? If I were to chain together 30 spotlights (say 1mcp -6mcp) in a circle and attempt to align them at a focal point, could I possibly get a noticeable beam of light from at least a few miles away under the right conditions?I like the idea of using LED's but, will they give me the throw I'm looking for? I don't neccessarily have to use solar panels, but would really like to......

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
Would combining several spotlights of various wattage and CP in a circle give a good throw? If I were to chain together 30 spotlights (say 1mcp -6mcp) in a circle and attempt to align them at a focal point, could I possibly get a noticeable beam of light from at least a few miles away under the right conditions?I like the idea of using LED's but, will they give me the throw I'm looking for? I don't neccessarily have to use solar panels, but would really like to......

The beam should be quite noticable at night as long as you've got enough humidity and dust in the air to cause scattering of the beams. In a completely humidity and dust-free atmosphere, you're not likely to even notice the beam of a 1000w spotlight unless it is directly illuminating something.

Tightly-focused LEDs will give you the throw you need. They do make LED spotlights and they can pump out some light.

As for combining lights of various wattage, the most efficient one at the highest power will most likely be the dominant one (at least by the rule of additive blending) so you're likely going to want to use identical bulbs the entire way.

Stirdy

Newly Enlightened
Which LED spotlights would you suggest? And how many to fill a 4ft. diameter?Thank you very much for the advice!Stirdy

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't really recommend a brand, though there are many here that I''m sure have high power LEDs with spots made - check some of the flashlight sections, they've got great experience with spot reflectors.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am having trouble reconciling "low power" and "extremely bright". I am concerned that LEDs won't be bright enough. I think HID lights are a better match to the desired effect.

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
I am having trouble reconciling "low power" and "extremely bright". I am concerned that LEDs won't be bright enough. I think HID lights are a better match to the desired effect.

The trouble is understandable. But they've got 5w single-emitters that will work just fine with a focusing reflector cup (or even without if they have a narrow viewing angle) around them and shine out quite a distance.

herulach

Enlightened
The way I'd do this is to get however many KD/DX aluminum mag reflectors you need. Mount the same number of XRE-R2s on a metal plate. Drive with something appropriate to your battery. (3 7135 drivers in series should work with a 12V deepcycle battery).

Stick a solar charger on it.

Bear in mind that although this will work in a dark area, if you've got ambient lighting you're going to need to up the amount of power substantially. You may want to consider mounting one of those 'pond steamers' to make some steam/smoke to make the beams more visible.

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
You may want to consider mounting one of those 'pond steamers' to make some steam/smoke to make the beams more visible.

Definitely this. The more particulates in the lit area, the more visible the beam will be - within reason.

Stirdy

Newly Enlightened
Great idea! I plan on displaying this in the heart of a small city next to a large river and highway. So I hope there is some smog, fog and dust to help with the illumination. The city gives off an orange glow at night, so I wonder if a bright blue light would be best. I'm begining to like the idea first suggested...a series of sunforce 25mcp lights. However, all I really need is the reflector, socket, and lamp right? ( still new at this and can't figure out how to just get these parts and make a sample to try out)

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
if you want a good beam visible you will NEED to use optics (aspheric lenses) not reflectors with your LEDs, i had to do some scrounging, but this is very similar to what you want i think, he explains most of the things you might need and even has a SWEET beam shot, here is the link