• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti Eiger?

gjg

Enlightened
Tiger??:ironic: Just wondering - When the light first came out there were plans for a Ti version, I'm hoping it's still in the works. I'd be in for a AAA and a 10280 version in as short of a body as possible.
Thanks,
Greg

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Tiger??:ironic: Just wondering - When the light first came out there were plans for a Ti version, I'm hoping it's still in the works. I'd be in for a AAA and a 10280 version in as short of a body as possible.
Thanks,
Greg

Big PEAK fan here- but also a realist- don't hold your breath. To the best of my knowledge- no Eiger bodies (or Matterhorn bodies for that matter) or heads were turned from Ti. I think they are moving on/focusing heavily on the newer LEO line IMO.

fyrstormer

Banned
I like titanium as much as the next guy (more, actually), but unless you're prepared to fool around with weird lubricants until you find something that works in each specific application, stainless steel is a better alternative. Plain old oil works just fine for it, and it wears just as long as titanium.

paulr

Flashaholic
I like titanium as much as the next guy (more, actually), but unless you're prepared to fool around with weird lubricants until you find something that works in each specific application, stainless steel is a better alternative. Plain old oil works just fine for it, and it wears just as long as titanium.

I have a Matterhorn in stainless and it weighs a TON. I never really thought of carrying it, because of its weight. A ti one would be really nice. I have a Baltic in ti and its weight is pretty reasonable, even though it's a weird shaped, clunky light that I'm not that crazy about. One of these days the right combination will appear ;)

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I hear a rumor about cherry inlay for the titanium Eiger

The project is called Ti-Eiger Woods

OK, I am full of !@#$ so I'll crawl back under my rock.

Had me there for a second......:crackup: yeah....the tiger idea was thrown around- sugestions for orange o-rings and all- think it just was shelved due to all the new designs that had priority and with the K2's disappearing- the LE's were evolving faster than anything else.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

I agree....the ti is nice and light- but threading it is like fignernails down the chalkboard for me....can't quite get used to that ti squeek.:green:

fyrstormer

Banned
I have a Matterhorn in stainless and it weighs a TON. I never really thought of carrying it, because of its weight. A ti one would be really nice. I have a Baltic in ti and its weight is pretty reasonable, even though it's a weird shaped, clunky light that I'm not that crazy about. One of these days the right combination will appear ;)
If you have the version of the Matterhorn SS with the smooth battery tube and the removable keychain lug, you should know that the knurled pocket-body battery tube weighs a lot less. I have an Eiger 10280 SS and it weighs so little I often forget I have it in my pocket.

fyrstormer

Banned
I agree....the ti is nice and light- but threading it is like fignernails down the chalkboard for me....can't quite get used to that ti squeek.:green:
Oh no, you're not running the threads dry are you? That's a bad idea; titanium has a bad habit of cold-welding when rubbed together under pressure.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
uhhhh....maybe.....there was some nyogel on there when it got to me- guess it is time for some lube eh.......:shakehead... if this thing weren't so darn light and bright I would go back to my SS lug body 3 LED matterhorn- I might have to do that for a bit.

MWClint

Enlightened
lube the threads with whatever you use for your orings..and then sprinkle a bit of flour on the threads. (yes standard cooking flour)
It works great on all Ti threads. afterwards, you'd think that you were twisting a brass peak. :grin2:

fyrstormer

Banned
That might not work so well in this case. I experimented with rolling agents a while back and concluded they can interrupt conductivity in lights that use the threads as part of the conduction path, which Peaks do. However, Teflon powder seems to work rather well as a rolling agent in that regard.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
lube the threads with whatever you use for your orings..and then sprinkle a bit of flour on the threads. (yes standard cooking flour)
It works great on all Ti threads. afterwards, you'd think that you were twisting a brass peak. :grin2:

Thanks- I might try that- I think I got the tip from you (?) to use permatex anti-size compound on my other lights- and that has worked about as well as anything else I have tried and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
A couple of (bad :eek:) pics of my new Ti Eiger:

dsc00845v.jpg

dsc00844s.jpg

Here it is between my pocket body SS Eiger and my SS Baltic.

Really nice light, although a bit long for 1xAAA form factor. Still wish it had a knurled pocket body, or even a keychain body as I'm not sure how I'd carry it if I chose to do so. As it is, it makes a perfect light for sitting on my desk or nightstand.

MWClint

Enlightened
Really nice light, although a bit long for 1xAAA form factor. Still wish it had a knurled pocket body, or even a keychain body as I'm not sure how I'd carry it if I chose to do so. As it is, it makes a perfect light for sitting on my desk or nightstand.

Got my Ti Eiger too. :party:

I like the length as it fits nicely in an overhand fist, the momentary button in
perfect placement for my thumb, and my pinky surrounds the head to wick away heat. There's also enough threads so you can unscrew the head enough for it
to act as a lockout. good for pocket carry.

i cant believe how much light comes out of this thing on a 10440. :drool:
Definitly a WOW light! gone through a few batts tonite just playing around with it and harrassing coworkers. :devil:
Also a Good everyday ammount of light with an nimh.