New D10 sp

carl8190

Banned
Can someone tell me about the new sp. Im wondering what level brightness does it turn on with. Does it turn on in low medium or high and does it remember the last brightness next time you turn it on?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me about the new sp. Im wondering what level brightness does it turn on with. Does it turn on in low medium or high and does it remember the last brightness next time you turn it on?
If it has the same UI as the EX10, then the following info will be correct:

The light will always come onto the last used brightness setting.

Hope that helps,

James....:)

carl8190

Banned
Nitecore D10 14500 question

I currently use eneloop in all my single AA flashlights but looking at posts on this forum I found I can achive more output from using 14500 batterys. I also noticed people saying the runtime will be longer with 14500 over a normall AA battery but I wasnt use if this was correct because 14500 batterys only have 900mAh and AA's have around 2800mAh. Im not an expert but I thought more mAh meant slower discharge so shouldnt the AA have much longer runtime?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore D10 14500 question

The total energy stored is the product of voltage and mAh.

The 14500 starts off at 4.2V when fully charged and drops to about 3.6 - over three times the voltage of a normal NiMH cell (1.2V).

So you need to multiply the 900mAh by at least three to compare the total energy available. The slightly higher efficiency of running from the higher input voltage will help the runtime too.

Incidentally, the D10 does not have any overdischarge protection for Li-Ion cells built in, so it would be worthwhile using protected cells (such as the AW 14500) with this light.

The Batteries Forum has a lot of useful information on Li-Ion safety, chargers, protected vs. unprotected cells etc. Definitely worth a visit.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Last edited:

carl8190

Banned

So if i use unprotected should i just check to make sure it doesnt drop below that voltage? am I correct? What do I need to do differently if using unprotect instead of protected? I dont understand the difference

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened

So if i use unprotected should i just check to make sure it doesnt drop below that voltage?
Well you need to do that anyway, regardless of whether the cells are protected or not.

The protection circuit is there for safety rather than as a low-charge indicator, so you should always be aware of the voltage and top your cells off frequently anyway.

Seriously, if you are new to Li-Ions, as your first question seems to indicate, you should check out the information in the batteries forum, particularly the safety-related threads.

Igor Porto

Enlightened

The 14500 will not give the D10 longer runtime, but it will be brighter ;)
I use 14500s on mine for a long time and I will never use AA again.

carl8190

Banned

Thanks igor Will the runtime be shorter than using eneloops then? Also what does protected do then that unprotected doesnt? Does it just stop from over charging and discharging?

Igor Porto

Enlightened

No, the runtime will be about the same as on Eneloops, just around 50 minutes to 1 hour. The protected cells protect the cell from over and underdischarging, keeping you safe specially when it's charging. I strongly recommend protected cells.

I guess if you use a good quality 14500 like AW or Sanyo, you will get a slightly better runtime. I use mostly Trustfire and Ultrafire cells because they're cheap. But I'm planning on buying a few AWs.

Bradlee

Enlightened

Why do they make unprotected if they are so unsafe?

I'd venture a lot of manufacturers produce them for use in battery packs and not to be sold directly to the public. That said, any manufacturers and most retailers that carry unprotected li-ions do so with the assumption that people buying them will know their limitations and how to use them properly (read: safely).

carl8190

Banned

Im slightly worried now because if use about 6 18650 ultrafires and have just brought so 14500 and all of these are unprotected. What should I do to stay safe. I will try but some protected aw soon but i can afford to at the moment. I dont want anything to go :poof:

Moonshadow

Enlightened

Why do they make unprotected if they are so unsafe?
Carl, there's a big long thread on the Batteries forum asking precisely this question. Unfortunately there are a lot of digressions but SilverFox sums it up quite well in his post #4:

Most people use Li-Ion batteries in devices that are designed around them, and the circuits in these devices have protection built in to insulate the average user from the dangers associated with the batteries. Taking some single cells and putting them into use in a flashlight that does not have these safety circuits designed into it exposes the user to an additional level of danger.

When you use cells that have a protection circuit built in, you still have to be cautious with their use, but when you use bare cells, you are the protection circuit. There is nothing backing up your decisions, and if you make the wrong decisions, there can be consequences beyond simple cell failure.

If you understand the parameters involved in Li-Ion technology, and are diligent in monitoring, you can use bare cells and will not have any issues. However, if you have a lapse in diligence, you will have to pay the consequences.

On the other hand, if you use protected cells, a lapse in diligence simply results in the protection circuit kicking in.
The full post is here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3247313&postcount=4

A few lights (such as the RA Clicky) have features built into the light itself to detect Li-Ion cells and protect them. The Clicky for example will warn you when the cell is getting low and step down the output before the cell overdischarges.

The D10 does not have this type of protection circuitry built-in, hence the recommendation to use protected cells. (In fact I use 'em in my Clicky too - no reason not to).

At best overdischarging an unprotected cell will ruin it and you'll have to replace it. At worst you could end up setting yourself on fire ! Unlikely perhaps but it could happen.

An AW 14500 from Flashaholics will set you back less than a tenner, which will more than pay for itself the first time you avoid an overdischarge.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast

To determine the energy stored in a cell you have to calculate the Wh(watt-hours) of the cell. For consistency sake I will use the nominal voltage of each cell.

AW 14500 is rated @750mAH, so 3.7V x .75= 2.775Wh

Eneloop AA is rated @2AH, so 1.2V x 2= 2.4Wh

So technically the 14500 has about 15% higher energy density than the eneloop & therefore slightly longer potential run times depending on the light output chosen.

Travis

The total energy stored is the product of voltage and mAh.

The 14500 starts off at 4.2V when fully charged and drops to about 3.6 - over three times the voltage of a normal NiMH cell (1.2V).

So you need to multiply the 900mAh by at least three to compare the total energy available. The slightly higher efficiency of running from the higher input voltage will help the runtime too.

Incidentally, the D10 does not have any overdischarge protection for Li-Ion cells built in, so it would be worthwhile using protected cells (such as the AW 14500) with this light.

The Batteries Forum has a lot of useful information on Li-Ion safety, chargers, protected vs. unprotected cells etc. Definitely worth a visit.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

carl8190

Banned
OMG! Nitecore D10sp With 14500

I just wanted to thank everyone who recommended the 14500 battery for my d10sp Im not kidding the output is insane! The Medium Mode is slightly brighter than my ld01 at 80lumens and on a single aa my d10 should only be 40 lumens I believe. Also it high is no as bright as my solarforce rated at 300lumens! Can this be? this was all by eye sight but im sure im fairly accurate to see they match.

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Re: OMG! Nitecore D10sp With 14500

Woo-hoo !

Bright, isn't it ? :thumbsup:

How's your piston ? Had to chop half a turn off the spring in mine (non-sp) to get a nice smooth action. Perhaps the sp has a bit more room.