17670 won't fit in my new Quark 123^2

macon

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around for the past week or two, and after much reading and debating I purchased a Quark 123^2 along with some AW 17670's. As soon as i got home i opened everything up, popped two cr123's in, went into my closet and tested everything out. I can already tell i'm going to love this thing! After the closet light show i took out the cr123's and tried out one of the 17670's... couldn't get more than an 1/8th of an inch in. Tried the second one, and it was even worse. Where should i go from here?

Thanks!

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
When I first tried to push an AW 17670 into my 123^2 tube, I didn't think it fit either. Then I pushed a little harder and in it went.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you remove both the head, and the tailcap, it will be easier to get in. It can airlock sometimes if you dont do this and make it harder to get the 17670 in. The AW17670 I have goes in and out of my Quark 123^2 R2 easily with only the tailcap removed.

macon

Newly Enlightened
I've removed the silver label, i've tried without the tailcap and the head, and yes, i've pushed very hard with no luck at all. I'd rather not have to alter my battery tube but it's beginning to look like that's my only option if i want to use a 17670. Any advice on how this can be done?

Thanks!

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order another battery tube from 4sevens and request that you get one that will work with a 17670, then sell your old tube on the marketplace cheap.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 x CR123A Quark RGB readily accepts AW 17670s. Wouldn't run it any other way. You've just been unlucky with the batts diameter, more likely than differences in the tubes?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try another 17670 cell.

I had about 5 of those AW 17670 cells at one point. I did remove the stickers to use them, but one of them just wouldn't fit my hosts.:poof:

So you see....1 out 5 I was unsually too fat. Purchase another one and try again.;)

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
You've just been unlucky with the batts diameter, more likely than differences in the tubes?
It's the tubes that seem to vary more than the amount that the batteries vary, at least that's the way I read it based on the four 2x123 tubes that I've received. They are all over the shop in terms of internal finish and size.

I agree, just ask 4sevens to swap/sell/provide a tube that is tested to fit one of their AW 17670's.

macon

Newly Enlightened
It's the tubes that seem to vary more than the amount that the batteries vary, at least that's the way I read it based on the four 2x123 tubes that I've received. They are all over the shop in terms of internal finish and size.

I agree, just ask 4sevens to swap/sell/provide a tube that is tested to fit one of their AW 17670's.

Well that's good to hear! I'd rather swap out my tube for one that would fit the batteries i already have rather than buy more and more batteries until i find the ones that fit my light.

LumaNaughty

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around for the past week or two, and after much reading and debating I purchased a Quark 123^2 along with some AW 17670's. As soon as i got home i opened everything up, popped two cr123's in, went into my closet and tested everything out. I can already tell i'm going to love this thing! After the closet light show i took out the cr123's and tried out one of the 17670's... couldn't get more than an 1/8th of an inch in. Tried the second one, and it was even worse. Where should i go from here?

Thanks!

I have 1 AW 17670 that is tight I have to take both ends off to get it out, but it goes in ok with only one end off.

I have another AW 17670 that fits nice and smooth and doesn't require me to take the both ends off to remove the battery.

I have the original labels on both my batteries and I have printed label on them too. My label has the number and date of purchase, so I can keep track of it in a spreadsheet.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Wow, sticking an extra label on top and they still fit, you've done well.

PS, I'm not saying that the AW batteries aren't different sizes cos in my experience they are but I have several tubes and their sizes vary against each other more than the batteries do across each other.

I've even got one turbo 2x123 tube that has a smooth finish in the first half then a smaller diameter very rough spiral finish (from the cutter) at the other end which means that the battery would fit half way in and jam. I had to hone that half of the tube to get the battery to go all the way in.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used 200grit sandpaper rolled into a tube and sanded the inside of the 2x123 tube down for a while.
Now the stickerless 17670 fits in OK.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 x CR123A Quark RGB readily accepts AW 17670s. Wouldn't run it any other way. ?

Thanks for the news.
Currently I'm running my RGB Quark on 2 rCR123s, (and have a 18650 tube & cells)

I have always wondered why there's not more talk here about the 17670 cell. I have my lone 17670 cell in my 5 watt Nuawi:)

macon

Newly Enlightened
Well, after work today i decided to give the 17670's another try. I used a lot more force, and with both the head and the tailcap off I was able to get both batteries in and out. My only concern now is... do batteries expand? Because if they need a little extra room, they're not going to be comfortable in my battery tube. I'm completely new to this new breed of flashlights, li-ion rechargables, etc. So if that was a stupid question, please forgive me!

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'd imagine that like anything else with heat they will expand. The torch would too to a lesser, equal or greater extent.

For the connections to work completely reliably under hand movement, vibration etc the battery needs to be free enough that the tailcap spring can exert some amount of force through the battery to kept it in contact the the pip on the head. If it's not free enough to do that then a bump can push the battery back away form thepip and the spring won't push it forward to reconnect. Just something to keep in mind if things are tight and it goes blank on you when bumped.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Whatever you do, make sure the shrink wrap is still intact. A torn wrapper may result in a ' short ' bypassing the protection pcb especially along the connecting metal strip.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Good point.

I thought I'd also mentioned something in that vein here but it seems that it was on the other parallel thread in the marketplace.

That's what worried me most about the couple of Ultrafire RCR's I had. They seem to have one point where the strip seems to protrude a bit more and I'd imagine it would be very easy to wear through the shrink at that particular point.

Also, the possibility of shorting that strip is something that should be carefully considered when deciding to hone the barrel too cos then one will likely be removing the added insulation of the anodising and also if one does go down the track of honing it may not be a good idea to leave the surface rough from say 200 grit paper as that more abrasive finish might cause the shrink wrapping to wear through much easier if things are still tightish.