Flashlight for sailboat?

Paapaa

Newly Enlightened
I need a flashlight to be used mostly in a sailing boat. So I'd like to have these features:

1. Waterproof. EDIT: I don't need a real diving light. Just something that is waterproof. "Splash resistant" is not enough. The light must withstand heavy rain and possible big waves going over the ship...
2. Smallish. I'm thinking a 12-13cm (5") size to be good. Not smaller, because worse handling and not larger because I want it to be small enough to fit pocket easily.
3. Decent throw would be usable if I need to find those sea marks and their reflectors in the night. But I also need some spill for other use.
4. UI that allows me to make light signals, like 3 short flashes each lasting 1 second and 1 second pause in between.

A few models come to my mind: Eagle-Tac E20P2 MKII, Fenix PD30+ R2/R4, Quark 123² R5.

Any suggestions and comments?

Last edited:

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
I don't think any of those lights are rated at anything more than a momentary dunk in very shallow water.

Pelican makes heavy duty dive lights rated to 500ft, as does Underwater Kinetics.

They don't have the UI features of the Fenix, Quark or Eagle-Tac but they'll definitely survive the environment longer.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I don't think any of those lights are rated at anything more than a momentary dunk in very shallow water.
Just an FYI...IPX-8 waterproof means no ingress of water when submersed in greater than 1 meter of water with a time specified by the manufacturer. Typically it means you can drop it in a shallow river or creek without worrying about water getting inside as long as you retrieve it quickly. So yeah, dunkable but not really waterproof to 1 bar/atmosphere (~33 feet) or greater depths.
Pelican makes heavy duty dive lights rated to 500ft, as does Underwater Kinetics. They don't have the UI features of the Fenix, Quark or Eagle-Tac but they'll definitely survive the environment longer.
So when you drop your light over the side and it sinks to 500ft, you jump in to get it?
:eek:
Or do they float?
A few models come to my mind: Eagle-Tac E20P2 MKII, Fenix PD30+ R2/R4, Quark 123² R5.
You don't want to jump into water if you drop the light, so I think the best option is a small light like any of those you mentioned with a lanyard and a carabiner or other method to attach to your belt or beltloop. That way if it gets dropped overboard it doesn't get far and you simply lift it back on board. If you were to drop any non-floating light while sailing in typical waters, you can forget about finding it.
:mecry:
Any of those would be fine lights with plenty of output. I happen to have a Quark and it certainly would fit the requirements. It comes with a 53cm (21") lanyard that can be looped through a beltloop and clipped to the light, or hang it around your neck. Or use a carabiner to quickly remove it from your beltloop.
:thumbsup:

Paapaa

Newly Enlightened

Yes, and that is all I need. I won't be diving just sailing. And if I drop the light in the middle of the Baltic sea I won't jump to the water to retrieve it. :p

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a Pelican on my boat. Also the little Arc 6 is guaranteed to be waterproof submersible by Peter Gransee the manufacturer. McGizmo lights make no claim to be waterproof but Don has no reservations about diving with his as shown in his many outstanding photos. It all depends on your budget. I am getting a new orange Malkoff MD 2 as soon as they are back in stock. Endless possibilites with Malkoff's dropins.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
on my boat i use only big floating lanterns.
obvious reason why it should float, (learned the hard way) also at times when i need to point a light somewhere, but have no free hands to hold it, big lanterns do a good job of not rolling and have enough weight to stay steady. plus i mount slings on them (if they don't come with it)
i mod the lanterns thou, imo pencil thin beam (that is almost useless) from a 6v krypton bulb is a waste of good housing.
my last mod had 36\45 leds, (so so reach, excellent flood) but i didn't like it so much, so i gave it away to a friend of mine, now i'm modding another one, hopefully i'll be done before season starts.

derangboy

Enlightened
Pelican would be my choice. Unfortunately, water resistant to (ie) 10ft is static. My SuperSabreLite may be out of date, but it has been very reliable.

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
My suggestions were based on the OPs request of a waterproof light, more than just splash proof. While the IPX8 lights are fine with calm water use and for spotting, I wouldn't trust them out on the Atlantic in rough seas.

The Pelican and UK lights could survive being submerged in a flooded cabin, being banged around by waves indefinitely. Of course you wouldn't chase a light overboard but if you had to ditch at sea and possibly swim for a bit until you got to a raft or rescue ship? You want one of these lights.

I suggest subscribing to Practical Sailor they routinely do comparison tests of various sailing gear including lights.

Toaster

Enlightened
You got some good advice in this thread. The Eagletac, Fenix, Quark, etc type lights are more splashproof than waterproof depsite their "IPX-8" ratings. Don't expect them to last very long in rough sea conditions. I recommend you go with the UK Super Q eLED and keep some CR123 cells on hand just in case.

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I am not much for boats but I can tell you that the Pelican Stealthlite 2410 Recoil LED would be a great light for a boat, it has great throw for cutting any kind of fog or water vapor, it is also water proof and the switch would allow you to signal on and off in the time frame you need. It only has one mode but that baby can really send a beam of light. You can also get it in a bright color, like yellow.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
A Ra Clicky might fill your need nicely. It's built like a tank and offers tremendous electronics and battery protection -- most other lights pale in comparison. It will stand up to being knocked around and submerged for extended periods of time.

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
I don't own one, but I have read good things about Barbolight dive lights. They don't have modes, though, if that's an issue for you.

Another option is a Ra Light. It is not as waterproof as a Barbolight, but it is very durable, and I would be very surprised if a wave could take one out. It might be on the small side though at just 3 3/4" long.

symes

Enlightened
For me, it's a Surefire A2 with red leds and white xenon...easy to handle and pocket, lived on the boat 24/7 for several years without decay, through hot and cold, wet and dry, been in foulie pocket for ocean crossings and big waves - when I get it home I just dunk it shallow fresh water to get any salt off. Batteries are always dry inside.

Picks out the buoys at a good distance and red leds excellent for navigation (though not quite as good as my princeton tech 4xled headlamp for smoothness...

Love it...but it don't float!!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a Quark AA/AA^2 Tactical? You could program it for two different outputs/strobes, and it has a forward clicky, so it can be used as a momentary on. May not be submerge-able, though.

Paapaa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely think about all the models suggested. The reason I'm tempted to buy a more general flashlight is that I would be using it everywhere. Mostly in boat but also elsewhere. So a smallish size and portability is a plus.

jbrett14

Enlightened
I don't have anything more to offer as far as what to recommend but this thread reminded me of losing my past favorite light.

2 years ago, after diving off some rocks into a small gorge, just behind Whitefish Falls (small gorge) at Missinaibi Provincial Park (Ontario), I told my nephew to toss down my Streamlight PolyPro 4AA luxeon. I was going to use it for taking some underwater pictures. He tossed it to me, and assuming it would float (stupid of me), I didn't bother to try and catch it. It hit the water, and it sunk like a rock. The depth of the small gorge is unknown, but when I quickly dove under water to try and retrieve it, it went from bright yellow to pitch black in a matter of seconds.

Unfortunately for me, I had just put some new rechargeables in it, so I not only lost the light, but the batteries as well.

If any of you are wanting to test the durability of a Streamlight PolyPro 4AA Luxeon, it's all yours. It's been at the bottom of the small gorge just behind Whitefish Falls for about two years now, ready to be turned back on. It was in mint condition.

Sorry, I just wanted to share this because this thread reminded me that I should have had a light that floated. So I guess, with this experience, I can suggest a light that floats.

spellitout

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend a R2 version Quark Tactical 123x2 or AAx2. I think both would be sufficient in wet weather and wave splashes (I wouldn't dive with it). You need tactical version for 1 second flashes of light with 1 second pauses or the light will switch modes. R2 because it will offer more throw than R5 and save you a couple of bucks.

Just my $00.02.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Ra Clicky might fill your need nicely. It's built like a tank and offers tremendous electronics and battery protection -- most other lights pale in comparison. It will stand up to being knocked around and submerged for extended periods of time.
+1 for the Ra Clicky. It is shorter than your original requested size at around 9.5cm in length - but it is rated to be waterproof at 20m (66 feet) static so it should handle the odd dunking and the occassional wave across the bow.

It is a cool light too!!

Come to think of it, there aren't many high powered lights out there that have a proper waterproof rating. I don't suppose an' IPX8 - 1 metre in depth static' really cuts it for proper marine use.

James....:)

Last edited:

spellitout

Newly Enlightened
Buy a light take the batteries out put it in a zippered or velcro clothing pocket. Then put it in with a load of clothes through a full cycle of the washing machine. If your light has no water visible under the lens or in the body, I'm sure it would be fine with a few waves breaking over it. :twothumbs

If you run into waves that are worse than what a full cycle of a washing machine can do to the light, then I'll go out on a limb and say the light will be the least of your concerns.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Paapaa, you could mod just about any light (within reason) to survive the perils of what you stated in your first requirement point. It just takes a bit of ingenuity.