Cordless Drill Battery Question

lightinghelp

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to make a custom battery pack based on the quick connections found in cordless drill battery packs. I found that both Makita and Milwaukee sell connector blocks for their battery packs to clip into. This seems like the best way to have something I can disconnect quickly to charge.

The problem is that I want a 12v 5-7 Ah battery not a 18v or 28v 2.4 Ah battery. I only want one battery as this is to power lights. I want it to slid on and off easily and snap securely in place. Rather than reinvent the wheel I would like to try out these connector blocks.

I would by the Milwaukee 28v battery if there was some way to step it down to 12v. The front light that I have can take 9v - 32v. It is the rear leds that I am not sure about. They are for a 12v system. Will I destroy the leds if I run them at 28v?

Are there high Ah 12v cordless drill batteries? Can I buy just the battery housing for a cordless drill and put a bigger battery in it? Is the only way to just buy a drill and then rip apart the battery case to make it have a higher ah?

Thank you in advance.

Batteryspace sells a 12v 4.5 ah Battery:
and a 12v 6.6 Ah Battery:
5508.jpg

Makita Connector Block:
t640_IMG_0014.jpg

Milwaukee Connector Block:
part_22-56-0985-1_med.gif

Last edited:

Quasar72

Newly Enlightened
i run my whelen LED lights from a 14.4 volt Dewalt cordless drill battery and have done this for about 8 years or longer. The dewalt has perfect connector points for the 3M female connectors. In addition to the whelen light I have also run a halogen light at the same time but this does reduce time of use considerably. I have looked and have the other types of cordless drill batteries and can't figure out how to make it as simple as this. I have not damaged any of my lights by pushing the voltage up a little