Carley Xenon Stars in a Maglite (Comparison & Pics)

guncollector

Enlightened
I originally took these pics for one of my For Sale threads, and decided this just might be of interest to the rest of the group.

The comparison shots feature a Maglite 3D equipped with an aftermarket Carley Xenon Star 713 bulb vs. a Maglite 4D with standard OEM bulb. Note, the 4D is not a typo, its the only other Maglite I had on hand.

BTW, both test units had brand new Duracell D batteries installed for this test, and were run for about 5 minutes each before this test.

Both units retain the original Maglite reflector.

The second picture shows the Maglite with a WrightRIGHT film applied to the lens...what an improvement in beam quality, huh!?

Magcomp1.jpg

WriteRIGHT on the lens helps ALOT! Check it out...
Magcomp2.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I saw Fellows branded wrightright at Target...

I had already bought some other brand (damn brain!) Oh yeah, Belkin, that worked decently on a Dorcy 3D light and didn't do diddly for a Craftsman 2AA light.

Is the Fellows stuff the good stuff? If so, I'll go get some.

Oh, and how can I get one or more of those Carley bulbs???

guncollector

Enlightened
The WrightRIGHT film I have is made by a company called Concept Kitchen. But, I purchased this years ago for my Palm PDA, so they may have well been gobbled-up by another company.

This link will take you to my For Sale thread. I have some 712 & 713's left.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to be careful when you buy the WriteRight or simular material. It needs to be made for the gray scale PDA's, not the color ones. It should have a texture to it. The stuff for the color PDA's is clear & won't help the beam a bit. TX

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you with a Sears nearby, you can purchase their 3D xenon bulb. It's for their oscillate flashlight. It has better beam quality and similar brightness and color temp.

Plus Radio Shack has xenon bulbs for 2, 3 and 4 cells.

Carley Bulbs are great. But I found beam quality lacking and hard to get. Compared to other products. I do go out of my way to get the 5 and 6 cell versions. Plus the Krypton Stars for rechargeables.

guncollector

Enlightened
DavidW-

Do you possibly have side-by-side pics of the Sears 3D Xenon vs. the Carley XS 713?

I still haven't gotten to Sears to pick one up, but now I'm going to try and make a point of it and get up some Beam Comparison shots.

Thanks again for the tip.