Headlights - HIR Upgrade, should I wait till a stock bulb dies?

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 2005 Toyota 4Runner and a 2007 Mazda 6. I'm happy with the light output from the stock lights(except the HIDs in the mazda, but that's for another thread), but more is normally appreciated. The question is, are the HIR bulbs SO much better than stock, that I should upgrade now as opposed to waiting till one bulb dies?

I imagine it has been answered before, but my search showed a comparison of Silverstars(which we know are garbage) vs Extreme Power, not stock vs HIR.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't wait-- they are that much better

The question is, are the HIR bulbs SO much better than stock, that I should upgrade now as opposed to waiting till one bulb dies?

Might as well just upgrade now. If you wait until one bulb dies, you're at the mercy of the failed bulb until you can get to somewhere or some time to replace it. Order the HIR bulbs and then install them at your leisure before a bulb fails.

The 9011 and 9012 are what you'll need, seeing as the 4runner is a 9005/9006-using vehicle.

Last edited:

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'll move forward with the HIRs. I knew before, but now can not find whether the mazda high beams are 9005 or 9006.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is better, the Nightbreaker or the Xtreme Power[/URL])?

Seems there isn't an obvious winner in the posts...

And I'm assuming the NB or XP are still worthy of my $45 to upgrade existing working high beams...

I'll wait for Scheinwerfermann to answer the comparison question-- though I'm thinking the Philips bulb is better, now that I know an H1 version of it exists (candlepower, inc doesn't stock them, it seems).

Even the Auto Express 2009 review on powerbulbs.com puts the Philips bulb ahead of it:
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=114
AUTO EXPRESS 2009 REVIEW
"Again, the Osram offering provided excellent consistency, and the Night Breakers claimed to deliver plus 90 per cent power. Tinted bands on the lamp glass give the beam a bluish tinge, but the top-spec bulbs are the best of the rest after X-treme Power."
Emphasis mine

Of course, we don't know what sort of testing methods they used, and such-- science should be the decider.

Might as well upgrade those now, too.

Last edited:

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
Yea, I saw that the NB had a little tint and I know Scheinwerfermann opinion of color tinting and performance. Though the XP also claims to "Deliver a whiter, brighter light."

OT: A little googling and now I understand he screen name...

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I saw that the NB had a little tint and I know Scheinwerfermann opinion of color tinting and performance. Though the XP also claims to "Deliver a whiter, brighter light."

I've got the Philips bulbs in my Previa-- the blue ring on them supposedly adds a little glint of blue but it's not in any 'meaningful' part of the beam-- and I don't even really notice it even when looking directly at the lights.

I believe that in my application, they are a marked upgrade. These particular bulbs also seem to have passed the Scheinwerfermann Mistabfragungtest.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Either the Night Breaker or the Xtreme Power will be a super-premium H1 choice. I haven't gotten around to procuring or testing the H1XP yet, but I would probably favor it over the NB.

KLowD9x

Banned
I've got a 2005 Toyota 4Runner and a 2007 Mazda 6. I'm happy with the light output from the stock lights(except the HIDs in the mazda, but that's for another thread), but more is normally appreciated. The question is, are the HIR bulbs SO much better than stock, that I should upgrade now as opposed to waiting till one bulb dies?

I imagine it has been answered before, but my search showed a comparison of Silverstars(which we know are garbage) vs Extreme Power, not stock vs HIR.

Yes, upgrade them now.

I have HID lows and HIR highs. The high beam HIRs are unbelievable compared to the old Osram 60 watt 9005s that came with the car. Driving at night is now a pleasure. This time last year I was in pain because I couldn't see what was coming.

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
What a difference!!! If anyone is having doubts, its worth the money and only takes about 5 minutes of clipping to get all the tabs cut right.

Now the XPs were shipped from the UK to Florida and were loose in the package when they arrived. I know I'd be best to just send them back, but I took a chance and installed them. One failed to light :(, but the other is, again, a vast improvement over stock. I figure I'll take the failed bulb to work and hook it up to a powersupply to bench test it. I'm guessing that the H1 grounds through the shoulder?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yup, the H1 grounds via its metal base. You should contact Powerbulbs and let them know about the shipping damage; I'm sure they'll make it right for you.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
H'mm...that text looks familiar...take a look at the "pointedthree" link at the bottom of the text at the Honda link you provided. ;-)

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
Powerbulbs emailed stating they will send me a new pair. Sheinwefermann, if the new pair both work, I can send you the old pair for tinkering.

Latest posts