Something better than the 921 fat wedge bulb?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My '01 Corolla uses them for the reverse lights. Surely there's something brighter than that that maintains the same filament placement so the beam pattern remains unchanged.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Well, that's discouraging. I was just googling and chasing the same issue for my 2007 Corolla. Guess I'll take a look at the fixture from inside the trunk, see if it's feasible to modify to a different bulb.

Failing that, it will be challenge to find much space for auxiliary backup lights on that car. I do have a class I receiver hitch on it, but that sometimes drags going through dips, so any aux light would have to be mounted higher than that.

What I really like is LOTS of backup light, with a switch selecting auto operation or manual operation.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
How 'bout mounting some additional backup lights in the rear bumper fascia as kicked around here (scroll down)?

Hmmm..... I'm hesitant to do surgery on the little Corolla unless I'm sure I know what I'm doing. But I'm no stranger to Truck-lites, both the round and the oblong. In fact, I have four of the oblongs on my car trailer. That's worth considering. :thumbsup:

I'm aware the stock backup light has a pretty nice little "flood" lens and reflector, but its material that will not long stand the heat of a bigger bulb.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had another idea of having another momentary switch to activate the rear turn signals (which are amber) in a steady mode. Not legal on the road, but that extra light would provide quite a bit of rearward visibility without the distraction of it flashing (as well as the sound the flashers make) in off road-y type situations. The turn signals are amber, so combined with the brake lights there'd be a lot more light than with the 921s.

Another "awesome" idea would to be able to lock all four turn signals on steadily with a momentary button. Not road legal, of course. More of a musing on this last one...

Random Guy

Enlightened
Another "awesome" idea would to be able to lock all four turn signals on steadily with a momentary button. Not road legal, of course. More of a musing on this last one...
I have a '86 Chevy S10 that does that when you brake with the hazards on (combined rear stop/turn/tail).

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a '86 Chevy S10 that does that when you brake with the hazards on (combined rear stop/turn/tail).

I have noticed that on many cars with incorporated rear lamps that when the hazard lights are on, using the brake will also light the front lamps steadily.

This doesn't occur on the Corolla, as it has separate turn signals and stop lights, with the turn signals being amber (which is the way it SHOULD be). Incorporated turn, tail, and stop lights are not nearly as safe, both in terms of the implications of a failed bulb as well as the potential for misinterpretation of the signaling.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I agree with you that amber rear directionals are safer, and so does NHTSA (finally!...but that doesn't mean they're necessarily going to stop allowing red). But as far as red directionals go, I'd rather have a combined brake/directional light than separate red directional and brake lights with no separation between them. Impossible to see the directional if the driver's stepping on the brake!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
But as far as red directionals go, I'd rather have a combined brake/directional light than separate red directional and brake lights with no separation between them. Impossible to see the directional if the driver's stepping on the brake!

It does make it a little harder, and again, burned out bulbs add ambiguity. Things get worse when the red turn signals are inboard rather than outboard (regardless of color, I'm not a fan of inboard turn signals).

Then the ric^H^H^enthusiasts take it one step further and start to "black out" their taillights. The other day, I spotted a Crown Victoria with jet black taillights and I could barely see the amber turn signal flashing, let alone the brake lights lighting up.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
This talk of turning on all four directionals reminded me: My old 1978 Saab 99 Turbo had four backup lights. The front corner pods that held turn signals, park lights and cornering lights, also had backup lights that shone back along the sides of the car. Very nice for parallel parking. :thumbsup:

The two times I had opportunity to specify a rescue vehicle (as very small town vol. fire chief), I borrowed the idea from another dept. and specified that all scene lights (the floodlights on the sides and rear of the ambulance box) come on when in reverse. It really helped.

Random Guy

Enlightened
I have noticed that on many cars with incorporated rear lamps that when the hazard lights are on, using the brake will also light the front lamps steadily.

This doesn't occur on the Corolla, as it has separate turn signals and stop lights, with the turn signals being amber (which is the way it SHOULD be). Incorporated turn, tail, and stop lights are not nearly as safe, both in terms of the implications of a failed bulb as well as the potential for misinterpretation of the signaling.
Agreed. I have never understood why manufacturer's spec red turn signals.

I agree with you that amber rear directionals are safer, and so does NHTSA (finally!...but that doesn't mean they're necessarily going to stop allowing red). But as far as red directionals go, I'd rather have a combined brake/directional light than separate red directional and brake lights with no separation between them. Impossible to see the directional if the driver's stepping on the brake!
Same here. I take a little (very little) comfort in the fact that the rear signals are GIANT, and that the front sidemarkers are wired to flash with the turn signals as is described on Daniel Stern's web site (it was like this from the factory)
It does make it a little harder, and again, burned out bulbs add ambiguity. Things get worse when the red turn signals are inboard rather than outboard (regardless of color, I'm not a fan of inboard turn signals).

Then the ric^H^H^enthusiasts take it one step further and start to "black out" their taillights. The other day, I spotted a Crown Victoria with jet black taillights and I could barely see the amber turn signal flashing, let alone the brake lights lighting up.
These people need to have some sense knocked into them. Although, I guess that with invisible brake lights and turn signals, that will eventually happen! I just can't understand their logic. Same with the people with blue, green, or any other color (besides selective yellow, done properly) headlamps.

Disaster

Newly Enlightened
I've been wondering if one would be better off with one of those higher power 194's....basically the same socket. It would depend on whether it threw enough light out the back and through the lens.

This one is a about 100 lumen.
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/DomeMap-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HID-WHITE-4-M-p8187987-1-2.html

This one is about 60 lumen with some directionality.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html
WLEDB-WHP4-D_mm.jpg

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering if one would be better off with one of those higher power 194's....basically the same socket. It would depend on whether it threw enough light out the back and through the lens.

Wonder no more-- one is not better off with one of those. It might throw out a lot of light, but not in the right direction and not in such a way that the reflector can direct it as it can the proper filament bulb.

Mystery solved.

Disaster

Newly Enlightened
Wonder no more-- one is not better off with one of those. It might throw out a lot of light, but not in the right direction and not in such a way that the reflector can direct it as it can the proper filament bulb.

Mystery solved.

My thought was that these might work without the reflector...just by sending enough light in the generally correct direction (especially the second one which would direct most of the light back through the lens....like a cheap flashlight.) However, I'm not sure what the effect of the lens optics would be.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a lot of cars that use the 921, the bulb isn't aligned with the centerline of the vehicle. They are mounted to the side so the filament gets full exposure to the reflector in the back of the light assembly.

Last edited:

Disaster

Newly Enlightened
On a lot of cars that use the 921, the bulb isn't aligned with the centerline of the vehicle. They are mounted to the side so the filament gets full exposure to the reflector in the back of the light assembly.

Ah ha...definitely wouldn't do well in that situation. Thanks for the education.

For grins I checked my '03 Acura and it looks like the bulb comes in from the top...down at a 45 degree angle or so. The bulb on our Avalon looks like it might be centered, but it is was hard to tell through the lens. If it is centered, perhaps that helps explain why it performs so poorly.

So is there no one that makes brighter 921's...like these 194's?
http://store.candlepower.com/2886x.html

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why the same technology hasn't been applied to a 921 replacement, much like the 2886X is an upgrade from the 194, I don't know.

For grins I checked my '03 Acura and it looks like the bulb comes in from the top...down at a 45 degree angle or so.

For the Acura, that LED bulb would be a poor replacement indeed.

Disaster

Newly Enlightened
Why the same technology hasn't been applied to a 921 replacement, much like the 2886X is an upgrade from the 194, I don't know.

For the Acura, that LED bulb would be a poor replacement indeed.

Just checked the '99 Toyota Avalon and the 194's point straight back so any decent rear facing flashlight type bulb should work...as long as it packages. I need to check how much clearance there is to insert it.

I could probably even wire a small flashlight head and driver in there...just need to find a driver that can handle the voltage and a flashlight with enough spread.

Something like this might fit the bill, 3.6 to 18V. People say it has a wide beam.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32953
sku_32953_1.jpg

It would be nice to actually see when backing down the driveway.

Last edited: