LG GB115 review

ozner1991

Enlightened
well after my other phone broke i got a new one. this time i settled for a cheaper phone. the LG GB115. it costed me 48 euros excluding shipping.

the phone itself is a normal 'candy bar' type phone. nothing fancy here. the dimensions are 105 MM long, 45 MM wide and 15 MM thick. it has a small screen and plastic buttons below it. the numeric keys are from rubber or silicone and are backlight. the phone has a silver bar button that has quick link to the radio or camera depending on what side you press. below this bar is a contacts list speed button and above the bar is a speed button for checking voicemail and texting inbox. these buttons are also your navigation buttons through the menus

the camera on the back of the phone is a 0.3 pixel camera.... the photos are grainy, dark and sucky but what do you expect from a phone at this price? tweaking its settings are weird. poorly designed to say the least. to change the quality, series photos, effects or that annoying audio sound no one likes you have to go into the options into the menu you want to change (its all connected) and save every single setting separately. it takes you back to the camera screen ready to make a picture every time you want to save an setting.

the mp3 player on the phone is below standards. the phone has a speaker on the back of the unit below the battery cover. the mp3 player can only handle 100 files at any point in time, all files on this phone have a 100 max limit. the songs that were no problem on my mp3 player and my old 2 cellphones cant be played on this phone. mp3 player is cheap, again what did you expect for this price?

the radio unit is an FM radio. it needs no external wires or headsets and plays on the speaker. the sound it makes it nice and clear. there are 9 stations you can program. the layout of the controles take some time to figure out but its not that hard to use.

the T9 function is beyond annoying. it has a small vocabulary and it has to be switched off manually every time you type something. the same button is used for switching between numbers and letters while texting or entering data.

the agenda is simple and basic. small month view with capability to enter data for daily or weekly repeats.

alarm is for single use, mon to sat, mon to fri and thats it.

the keys on the phone take some long travel before being activated. this might be because of my own experience with phones. before this unit i had 3 phones with plastic keys. my oldest phone had silicone buttons but i can not recall them being this soft. the feedback of the buttons are a nice tactile 'click' that you can feel and hear.

all the audio tones on this phone are polytone. ringtone, texttone, alarms can not be mp3 files. you're stuck with what the phone gives you.
this brings me to a bug in the phone. when i looked for the sounds that the keys made when you use the phone, there was a 'mute sound' button in the keypadaudio selection menu that wouldnt work. it wouldnt save the setting. i had to go to the volume of the keys and turn it to zero. the phone has a 5 layer audio setting. every setting being 20% less or louder then the other.

my conclusion

this phone is cheap. its not bad but its what i paid for. i admit that as a nerd this is far from the phone for me but since im broke this will have to do. before this phone i had a nokia and another LG. the nokia worked for over 2,5 years. survived allmost everything i could throw at it. the LG broke within a week. i returned the unit and got my money back. + kudos for the supplier where i got the phone with its excellent customer service.
for someone who was used to high tech phones this is kinda a cold shower.
having said that theres nothing really wrong with the unit. they cheapened the price by saving on the guts. having done so created a phone with basic functions. nothing more, nothing less

is it worth 48 bucks? yes, for the people that want a phone that calls, texts and can keep appointments. anyone that wants more from his or her phone needs to look beyond this model

Last edited: