Condensation on TK40 inside lens

almach1

Newly Enlightened
I've done some searches, but most have talked about heating up the headlight to get rid of condensation. Well at least it looked like condensation, could not see water build up, just a fog that covered about 25% of the surface just off center.

The condensation i get on the inside of my TK-40 appeared only when it was left on high(not turbo) for about 30-40 minutes. I checked about 1 hr later and it was still there after turning it off. The next morning it was gone completely.

Should I send it in for repairs?

almach1

Newly Enlightened
with all the feedback i've gotten i think i'll just hold on to it for a bit and return it if it happens again.

stallion2

Enlightened
are you sure there wasn't something else going on at the time? maybe a rapid change in temperature, was it left outside in the cold while this took place? its possible that the last time you sealed the light up was in a humid environment and exposure to the cold may cause water vapor to precipitate out. i've seen similar things happen to my binoculars...even a "waterproof" set. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO there's a small amount of humid air trapped inside your TK40's head. Like if the light was assembled in a rainy day.

If it happened to my TK40 I would simply put the head alone out of a window in the sunshine in a dry windy day for a couple of hours to let this damp air out of it. The head by itself is not weatherproof and I am pretty confident that this should work. :)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's normal for most lights to have some moisture inside them. It really depends on the temperature before you start to notice. It's rare to have a 99.9% filtered and humidity controlled factory. Especially with lights at this price. The only places I can think of that have this kind of work environment are places where they make chips and NASA factories.

In all my lights if I bring them out for use in -30C degree weather they'll fog up. I guess I could crack open the heads enough and heat them up to dry them but it's not really worth the hassle.

Databyter

Enlightened
I've done some searches, but most have talked about heating up the headlight to get rid of condensation. Well at least it looked like condensation, could not see water build up, just a fog that covered about 25% of the surface just off center.

The condensation i get on the inside of my TK-40 appeared only when it was left on high(not turbo) for about 30-40 minutes. I checked about 1 hr later and it was still there after turning it off. The next morning it was gone completely.

Should I send it in for repairs?
If only you could make the TK40 window fog up on command, you would have a nice diffuser built in. And this light could really use a diffuser option.