Looking for advice on Surefires

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Hello All, this is also my first post so be nice to the newbie! I've been lurking long enough to know there is a certain resentment about new comers asking dumb questions that have been asked before, but hopefully my COMBINATION of questions is original.

I'm a BIG fan of Surefires and while I do own other brands, in my work life I actually use S'Fires almost exclusively because my safety can on the line where flashlights are concerned and I don't want a less reliable light, nor one that has fancy flashing options etc that might get in the way during an emergency. To that end, I've been carrying an E2D as my main carry light, an E1B as backup (obvious choice!) and EDC, plus a little Gerber 22-80016 Recon as my nightsight preserving/alternate spectrum light for the rare occasions when I need that. However I wouldn't be looking at candlepowerforums if I wasn't also a flash-fanatic, and my latest jonesing is for a Surefire that performs as well and reliably as the E2D but also provides alternate spectra, at least RED and BLUE. I invite advice on whether or not I should purchase a Kroma or an A2 LED Aviator- with carry size and weight, brightness, and ease of use all taken into consideration. I'm not saying price is not a factor but am willing to spring for the Kroma if it's the best choice. The Kroma is not available to look at in my area and I would have to buy it sight-unseen. Please enlighten!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
You cite your E2D, I'm not clear as to if you are currently using the E2D (incan) or E2DL (LED). This might provide some direction as to if you are looking for an A2 or the new A2L. The reason that I ask is that the tint on the A2L has been reported to be rather bluish (IIRC), which is basically the opposite of the original A2 in all it's incan glory. Just a heads-up on the tint for the A2L, you might want to read up on one of the two main A2L threads?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238689
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237886

Edit: I'm not trying to trash this light (having never seen one), but if the OP carries an E2D incan, the A2L might be a completely different light and might find the tint a disappointment perhaps??

Hope this helps,
K

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I hate to recommend a non-Surefire in a Surefire thread, but if your need for red or blue light is non-mission critical, the Quark RGB may perfectly suit your needs for a single Benjamin. I find the UI a little bit annoying but when I am using it I am in no rush to select output or color so it is OK.

The Kroma is an excellent light, well-designed and with the elegant simplicity you expect from Surefire, but I'm just letting you know that there is another option in this case.

pwatcher

Enlightened
I own led-incan Aviators in each color, and think you could grab a nice one for $80-100 in the led color of your choice (just one color per flashlight, unfortunately). I love the fact this light is one of, if not the only, regulated incan light in existance. It has a rich history, which I've only begun to read all about. I've lusted for a Kroma though, and except for the price would probably own one by now.

So either seems smart to me. I don't think the new, led only Aviator's have the same value, or character, but to each his own. Let us know what you decide?

:welcome:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroma's not bad, but it's a little long in the tooth, and I have yet to see an announcement about an update to it. It certainly functions fine, but the primary white beam uses an LED that's a couple generations behind the state-of-the-art.

I agree with carrot's statement about the Quark RGB UI, but in terms of red and blue (and green) output, it's in a class by itself. The one big downside is the lack of a useful collimator - it's a pure flood light. It's also new with no usability/durability history.

Also worth considering, if you specifically want red and blue, would be the First-Light Tomahawk. It's similar to the Kroma, but in an angle head form-factor, with a different (and quite good) UI and a more recent primary, white LED. It's also very well built.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Kroma and love it. However it is a large light. Much larger than lights that you have.

Where are you located? Cabela's used to sell Kromas. I think Gander Mountain may have some.

If you are in the Pittsburgh area I can show you a kroma in person.

computernut

Enlightened
Like Kestrel said already I'd throw the A2L in for consideration. The Kroma is the only Surefire light which will get you blue and red but the A2 and A2L have a smaller head to make it easier to EDC but they only have one colour.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd keep my money, wait for that particular craving to pass, and then count my blessings for not buying an expensive full-sized light chosen strictly for a rarely used function covered by a compact light that I already have.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Vampire kind of an updated Kroma?

Not really it provides visable & IR light but you could easily achieve the same with an A2 Aviator (though modification would be necessary for IR), to equal the Kroma (or at least replace it) would it not require an additional spectrum light source? :thinking:

I can't vouch for the A2L but with aftermarket (and stock) lamp assemblies the A2 Aviator really shines (if you'll excuse the pun) :thumbsup:

Unlimited budget = Kroma
Sensible upgrade = A2

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I have a Kroma and love it. However it is a large light. Much larger than lights that you have.

Where are you located? Cabela's used to sell Kromas. I think Gander Mountain may have some.

If you are in the Pittsburgh area I can show you a kroma in person.

I'm based in Canada but can buy using a Vermont address. Not from Surefire though, they are firm on the subject and won't directly deal with anyone not living in the USA. They ARE a little conservative. And, I've been to Gettysburg but never Pittsburgh!

One reason I'm flashlight-obsessed is that the winter nights up here are REALLY long and dark.... And, re another post, both my Surefires are LED, should have stated that in the question, I assumed that would be understood. Incads are fine in their place but I've had bulbs go at the wrong time (is there a right time?) and I want the reliability of LEDs.

I was a little unhappy looking at the rated useful burn times of the LED Aviator, that's one thing that prompted my query.

I'll have to build myself a quick model of the Kroma using the website specs, but in my head I thought that it was only slightly larger than my E2D LED....

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I'd keep my money, wait for that particular craving to pass, and then count my blessings for not buying an expensive full-sized light chosen strictly for a rarely used function covered by a compact light that I already have.

Yes but if I was smart that way, I wouldn't be here!

Last edited:

gprice74

Newly Enlightened
There are a few Surefire dealers in Canada that advertise the Kroma:
Tetragon.ca in Mississauga; R. Nicholls in Montreal; and Warriors and Wonders in Vancouver.

Glenn

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine off the MP for almost half the price with almost no wear...if you don't see one (they come in waves), post in the WTB. :welcome: BTW

It took a bit for me to get used to it, but now I use it at home all the time ( I hate having lights on, and the red low is perfect for being up at night and not disturbing anyone). I'm sure this will come in really handy when I head over to the sand box in the next few months.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you also take a good look at the Inova Inforce Color l.e.d. light along with the Kroma and Aviator. It has red, green, blue, and white light and is built to be tough enough for use in the military.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really it provides visable & IR light but you could easily achieve the same with an A2 Aviator (though modification would be necessary for IR), to equal the Kroma (or at least replace it) would it not require an additional spectrum light source? :thinking:

I can't vouch for the A2L but with aftermarket (and stock) lamp assemblies the A2 Aviator really shines (if you'll excuse the pun) :thumbsup:

Unlimited budget = Kroma
Sensible upgrade = A2

I couldn't agree more. You can't really go wrong with either the Kroma or Aviator (original incandescent A2).

-Robert

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone so far- clearly it will be helpful to get out and look around the flashlight world more.

Still looking for feedback on the Kroma/Aviator/other trispectrum light issue, but now I'm also needing advice on installing this really cool personal avatar, one I had all ready to go but can't actually accomplish- my 'personal control panel' won't allow what I've tried. Is there some sort of wait period before a newbie can use an avatar on this site or how do I do it? Doing a site search for 'avatars' is not helpful!

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone so far- clearly it will be helpful to get out and look around the flashlight world more.

Still looking for feedback on the Kroma/Aviator/other trispectrum light issue, but now I'm also needing advice on installing this really cool personal avatar, one I had all ready to go but can't actually accomplish- my 'personal control panel' won't allow what I've tried. Is there some sort of wait period before a newbie can use an avatar on this site or how do I do it? Doing a site search for 'avatars' is not helpful!

Adjust the size down and make sure it's a .jpg or .bmp file. Not sure of the exact sizes allowed, but it's not much for the avatars.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Random thoughts from a multi-A2 and Kroma MS owner...it's Friday...

First, are you sure you need red and blue? The color LED I find by far most usefull is YG in both the Kroma MS and the A2. Red is less useful because it's actually brighter except in my original L1 on low, and the color rendition is much better. It took me years to find any use at all for blue, but YMMV.

The Kroma is a fabulous light but honestly it's a lot of $ per useful lumen. I keep thinking I should sell it (but that's not an offer). The physical profile and general usefulness of the A2 YG is hard to beat for my uses.

There are (used to be, anyway) dedicated red, blue and true green L1s - there are used ones floating around.

I looked seriously at the Inova when it came out and followed the threads here as others bought and used them. Short version: I never bought one and still own my A2s, L1s and Kroma.

Hello All, this is also my first post so be nice to the newbie! I've been lurking long enough to know there is a certain resentment about new comers asking dumb questions that have been asked before, but hopefully my COMBINATION of questions is original.

I'm a BIG fan of Surefires and while I do own other brands, in my work life I actually use S'Fires almost exclusively because my safety can on the line where flashlights are concerned and I don't want a less reliable light, nor one that has fancy flashing options etc that might get in the way during an emergency. To that end, I've been carrying an E2D as my main carry light, an E1B as backup (obvious choice!) and EDC, plus a little Gerber 22-80016 Recon as my nightsight preserving/alternate spectrum light for the rare occasions when I need that. However I wouldn't be looking at candlepowerforums if I wasn't also a flash-fanatic, and my latest jonesing is for a Surefire that performs as well and reliably as the E2D but also provides alternate spectra, at least RED and BLUE. I invite advice on whether or not I should purchase a Kroma or an A2 LED Aviator- with carry size and weight, brightness, and ease of use all taken into consideration. I'm not saying price is not a factor but am willing to spring for the Kroma if it's the best choice. The Kroma is not available to look at in my area and I would have to buy it sight-unseen. Please enlighten!

LightJaguar

Enlightened
If you want to go the Surefire route another option would be to buy a C2, 6P, GP or another similar flashlight and get a colored filter like an FM36 for blue or FM35 for red.
You can use a high powered led Drop in like the P60L or a Malkoff and put an FM36 over it. I have those set ups and the blue light is quite bright for the combo.
The FM35 won't work as well with an LED but I can't imagine it being less bright then a gerber recon. You can always stick a xenon bulb in there and make things better on the red spectrum.
You could even experiment around with different colors, LED, Xenon combination and find what suits you best. The drawback would be having to carry a bulkier light around and not having the different choices of colors like the Kroma in a single light.