H7 Headlamp bulb for Land Rover Discovery

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for the brightest, whitest, 55W H7 bulbs for my '04 Disco. The stock bulbs are pretty good, but I didn't pay any attention to them other than they are Philips and that my high and low beam bulbs are identical. It came in real handy when one burned out the other night and I just swapped the hi/lo in both.

So now the hi bulbs are in the low lamp and I want new high beams but don't want to run them higher than 55W. I'm not too partial to the lights that are too blue.

Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You want these Osram 65w bulbs. Gobs more light than any other H7 you can get (2100 lumens vs. 1400 to 1500 for others). But you have to make sure the lamps are aimed correctly.

raj55

Newly Enlightened
I just bought these 65 watt Osrams for my BMW 320i but I am going to install a pair of LED DRL (Philips or Hella) first so that I do not have to use my low beams in the day time (low beams during the day time are mandatory here, if not using LED DRL). That would mean that I would not be using my Osram 65 w that often partially reducing the risk with higher heat out put and a long duration of higher current draw that most people have cautioned me against earlier. The car is still under the guarantee period which makes the issue slightly sensitive.

There is yet another thing that I noticed in the Osrams web site and on the packaging. The word Hyper has disappeared alltogether and they just mention it as being super bright on the packet. The specification in Osrams website says that it delivers only 1500 plus minus 10% lum flux. I checked on the osram site (under offroad and high power bulbs) and it is true. Can it be a printing mistake? That was a total surprise as pointed out by one of members here,
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53723

Perhaps, Mr. Scheinwerfermann can clarify the matter.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is yet another thing that I noticed in the Osrams web site and on the packaging. The word Hyper has disappeared alltogether

The bulb boxes are redesigned from time to time. The bulb is the same as it always has been: a 2100-lumen H9 burner, with blacktop, on an H7 base.

The specification in Osrams website says that it delivers only 1500 plus minus 10% lum flux. I checked on the osram site (under offroad and high power bulbs) and it is true.

No, it is not. It's a misprint on one particular Osram website. The authoritative Osram catalogue lists the correct values; here is the relevant page scanned in.

Perhaps, Mr. Scheinwerfermann can clarify the matter.

This will be about the third time Mr. Scheinwerfermann has clarified this point…

Last edited:

raj55

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Scheinwerfermann already has clarified at least once, and does not entirely understand the point of asking a question after it's already been answered.

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer my question;
but I am sure you understand that the confusion arose due to Osram changing the label on the box AND missprinting information on their specification sheet, creating doubt on the product in question.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Osram nightbreakers are a blue tinted bulb.

Not exactly, no. They have a colorless clear window for the filament to look through. The blue glass is not in the light path between the filament and the reflector, so it does not reduce light flux reaching the road. The blue glass outside of the light path just tints the reflections of the bulb envelope (glass) in the optic, thus creating a bluer appearance to the operating lamps when viewed from certain angles (and when switched off). It's pointless fashionizing, but in this case it is harmless pointless fashionizing. The Night Breaker H4 is a different story; it has a colorless window around the low beam filament but not around the high beam filament.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the Philips Xtreme Power H7!

I actually went with the Philips XTreme Power H7. I've had better performance and longer lasting bulbs from Philips in the past when compared to Sylvania/Osram.

I see you've got an OV25 in your Avatar. Did you pick that luminaire specifically, or was it just an image that you liked?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
...or Philips Xtreme Power.

Thanks for the direction on this. There's so much garbage out there and I don't want PIAA bulbs again.

I'll follow-up when I get the new ones installed. I was going to put them in the brights, but I think I'll put them in my low beams and put the stock bulbs back in the brights.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I actually went with the Philips XTreme Power H7. I've had better performance and longer lasting bulbs from Philips in the past when compared to Sylvania/Osram.

I see you've got an OV25 in your Avatar. Did you pick that luminaire specifically, or was it just an image that you liked?

The second generation Westinghouse Silverliner OV25 in my opinion was the best made (rugged) cobra-head on the market from 1966-1981. When Cooper Industries bought the luminaire division from Westinghouse, the OV25 was cheapened and then discontinued. So, yes I like this fixture...used to collect them as a teenager...had about ten of them at one time. (Great refractor optics made by Holophane.)

When it comes to halogen lamps, I'll only buy Philips...I've had products from Osram-Sylvania before and found them lacking...cheap build quality and very short life (and that's not counting the Sylvania silver-star).

Last edited: