Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best flashlight for under $50

Flashaholic*

Default Best flashlight for under $50

Would love to hear your opinions on what would be the best overall flashlight for under $50.

My preferences would be:

1) AA or 123 batteries
    2) Throw \ runtime \ light output (in order of importance)
    3) Clickie

Main uses would be for camping & hiking.

I was researching the Fenix L2D-CE. Is this an old model? How does it compare to the Streamlight Stylus Pro? or the Streamlight ProPoly Lux 4AA?

Added note regarding #. 2 above: Although these are listed in order of importance, all three are important to me. Hence the reason I listed them at all. Things that are not important to me were not listed at all, e.g. housing material, color, knurling, whether the light can stand up on it's end, etc.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jbrett14; 02-26-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." Plato

Banned

Default Re: Best flashlight for under $50

How about this one?

Or this one for more throw.

Just a note, the prices are lower at dealer sites, $40 and $46 respectively.
    Last edited by wingnut86; 02-24-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrett14 View Post
    I was researching the Fenix L2D-CE. Is this an old model?
    Yes, the Fenix L2D series has been discontinued and replaced by the LD20.

apparently wholesaletip.com still has LD2's for sale. they look really expensive though ($80+)...not sure why that would be. i bought an LD20 a few months back and its been my favorite alkaline-cell driven light yet and i'm positive i didn't spend $80 on it.
    The lights we own end up owning us...
    Best brands: UltraFire, SacredFire, TrustFire, SpiderFire, StarFire, SuperFire, Yes-Pres-Obama-We-would-love-to-refinance-your-country-Fire & Surefire...in that order. But NOT UniqueFire. They can suck it!

Fenix TK20, using "CPF8" code at 4sevens, it comes in below $50.
    Why are all the contestants in Miss Universe only from Earth?

Throw, run time and clicky being important under $50 I would suggest the Eagletac P100C2 or if you can stand a little bigger light the T100C2 MKII they are great lights at any price. If you get a T100 you can get a 18650 rechargeable battery and charger, if you don't want to spend money on rechargeable setup right now you will have a good light in place when you do decide to go that route. The T100C2 will run at full output regulated for nearly 3hrs on a 18650 battery. Don't forget to use your CPF discounts!

Edit: sorry but I almost made it out to sound the T100C2 is a 18650 only light but it also runs on cr123 batterys

Link to Eagletac-USA for these lights
    http://www.eagletac-usa.com/default.aspx
    Last edited by jhc37013; 02-25-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo/more info
    My flashlight collection HERE

Oh yes, lots of throw with the Eagletac models!

If it helps, there is a beamshot of the TK20 at 115ft, courtesy of Egise's Led Lenser P7 review, i've borrowed the pic to post here

Flashaholic*

You guys are GREAT! I really appreciate the fast responses, and suggestions.

It's been a while since I was active in these forums and a lot has changed in lights since then.

A couple more quick questions to anyone who may know:

That TK20 beamshot looks fantastic. How would this compare with the T100C2?
    Is the T100C2 too tight of a spot or is it as nice as the TK20?
    "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." Plato

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    Don't forget to use your CPF discounts!
    http://www.eagletac-usa.com/default.aspx
    It's been a while since I have been here. What discounts?

Flashaholic*

Another quick question:

Is there any difference in light output between the T100C2 and the T100C2 Mark II?

Is one just an older model?

Enlightened

A few days ago I purchased a Coleman MAX. It runs on 2 AA batteries, produces 115 lumens and has a run time of 5 hours (according to Coleman). It was about $25.00 at W-Mart. I know some folks on here do not like these lights and certainly I am a rookie at best compared to others on here. However, I feel that I got my $'s worth. The bulb is a CREE LED.
    I agree with you in that there is a lot of excellent info on this site.
    Good luck with your hunt.

+1 for Fenix TK20. Rugged, easy to find if you drop in at night in the leaves (yellow rubber grip), excellent thrower, warm enough tint for good outdoor color rendition!

Quote Originally Posted by stallion2 View Post
    apparently wholesaletip.com still has LD2's for sale. they look really expensive though ($80+)...not sure why that would be. i bought an LD20 a few months back and its been my favorite alkaline-cell driven light yet and i'm positive i didn't spend $80 on it.
    One can still get new in box L2D-q5 from some sellers for ~$55 shipped. I just ordered one after I returned an LD20-q5 for about the same price perhaps a few dollars more.

am afraid i cannot speak for the eagletac lights, got myself a TK20 and didnt see a need to go looking for anything else. This is one incredibly tough light! specs wise, maybe other lights may beat it but till the day you hold one in your own hand, thats when you will know what they mean when they say that the TK20 is tough!!

Banned

I have a TK20, and it is a great light, but it makes a whining noise in high mode. many of these are known to do that. People will tell you that it isn't a very big deal, but when you're outside at night using this light in the summer time, bats are a concern...Oh, and the noise is annoying. Just a heads up if you are thinking about this light.

The P100C2 and T100C2 MKII should be brighter than the TK20 as well. The T100C2 MKII should out throw it, and the P100C2 should be in the same ball park throw wise as the TK20.

Both the P100C2 and the T100C2 MKII use the same LED and driver so the output will be the same, the throw will just be better on the T100. Runtime is pretty damn good too.

Both are available in cool white as well as neutral white.

They are both also regulated very well on cr123a and Li-ion. Only difference is that the T100C2 will accept an 18650, where as the P100C2 will take a 17670.

I have a L2d Q5 and it is the light that started my new hobby (thanks everyone ). It is all you will need. I used to EDC it, rather long but perfect for camping.

I said "used to" for a reason-Nitecore.

If you can go to 60 dollars the SR3 @47's w/discount for 60.00 Shipped, should be all you could use.

61.60 a D20 r2 at Lightjunction w/ discount.

D10's can be had for less than $50 there also.

The beam profile of the T100C2 MKII w/ OP reflector is very nice and much cleaner than the ringy TK20. The T100C2 throws ~40% further than the TK20, runs 2-2.5x longer on rechargeable batteries, and has higher output (220-200 versus 150). In terms of capability it's no contest, it walks all over the TK20. That's the benefit of moving from a 2xAA powered light to an 18650 powered light.

The only real difference between the MKI and MKII T100C2 is the bezel design. Otherwise they are functionally identical. If you want more info on either light, check out the reviews:
    Eagletac T100C2 MKI
    Eagletac T100C2 MKII
    Fenix TK20
    Last edited by Toaster; 02-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Flashaholic*

You might want to check out the review of the TrustFire1200 in the budget section. It is 46 bucks and is the most lumens you can get for your money.

It IS a DX light, so quality might be a bit lower. Reviews are positive though.

a stainless steel itp a1 with cr123 is a good choice too. Its 33 bucks, durable, well received at this forum and 203 lumens (more with an RCR123) max with 3 modes. You can put it on your keychain if desired, making it very handy and versatile.

Unenlightened

I'll probably get bashed for saying this but I'd take an LED maglight any day. It's tough, battery life is great, and its very inexpensive. I've got an LED minimag I use at work daily. Put Lithium AAs in it and its lasted well over a year as opposed to a week or two with an incandescent model. I have to put it on dim to check patients eyes with it because its too bright. I Suppose if it ever does die I can grab my HID spotlight lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ki4hou View Post
    I'll probably get bashed for saying this but I'd take an LED maglight any day.
    No bashing from me...I'm in full agreement. But I also like the other models mentioned.

Flashaholic*

Wow, and I thought this would be easy - ha!

Just as I was leaning toward the P100C2 (or T100C2), I start reading all these posts and reviews and seeing photos of beamshots, and now I am beginning to question whether these 100C series lights have too tight of a spot (throw).

It appears (based on pictures only) that the P20C2 (or T20C2), although more money, have far better beams of light, with plenty of throw AND spill.

Although I really want good throw, I am not sure I want a light that has ALL throw and very little spill, which is what it appears to be with the 100C series. Maybe I am wrong here.

I wish I could see these lights before I buy. I would love to test them at night, outside, up into a tree. A few years back I bought a Streamlight 3AA Tasklight luxeon. It had very good throw but it had NO spill light, making it useless to me. I don't want to make that mistake again.

I would like this light to be more powerful than my Streamlight Argo headlight.

I really appreciate all the great input.

Enlightened

+1 for the T100C2mkII, mine is in nuetral white w/smo reflector. Spill is not as big as my TK11R2 but i think I use it more. Anyways for under $50 I cant think of a better light
    Fenix TK11R2, E20, E01, - iTP A6 Polestar, A3 EOS SS - Eagle-Tac T100C2 mkII(n/w) - 4D Maglite - Dorcy AAA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    The beam profile of the T100C2 MKII w/ OP reflector is very nice and much cleaner than the ringy TK20. The T100C2 throws ~40% further than the TK20, runs 2-2.5x longer on rechargeable batteries, and has higher output (220-200 versus 150). In terms of capability it's no contest, it walks all over the TK20. That's the benefit of moving from a 2xAA powered light to an 18650 powered light.
    Some thoughts....

What if you happen to drop your flashlight and it hits the ground with button first....
    T100C2: no any kind of protection to button
    TK20: yeah of course the button is recessed and well protected against accidents like that

For hiking the neutral white led is a must.

Fenix diffuser tip aka the cone, you will find it very useful to be able to turn your flashlight in to a lantern.

Yellow rubber grip, so easy to find it when you drop it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
    Some thoughts....

What if you happen to drop your flashlight and it hits the ground with button first....
    T100C2: no any kind of protection to button
    TK20: yeah of course the button is recessed and well protected against accidents like that

For hiking the neutral white led is a must.

Fenix diffuser tip aka the cone, you will find it very useful to be able to turn your flashlight in to a lantern.

Yellow rubber grip, so easy to find it when you drop it.
    That is a great point, and one that came to my mind. I can't think of a reason that I, personally, would want the clickie to extend past the end of the light body. ??? Seems to me that you would want it protected, not only from falls, but from accidental engagement. Perhaps I am missing something.

Still researching. I have not ruled out the Fenix lights.

To those who own the P100C2 or T100C2: Do you feel like the light has plenty of spill?

To those who use your light for camping or hiking, etc.: Would you favor a AA or 123 battery-type light? Feel free to explain. Thanks

The 100 series has plenty of spill for being a throwy light. If you want more balance between throw and spill check out the Fenix PD30 or even the Eagletac P20C2 MKII although the P20C2 MKII may be more than your willing to spend.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    The 100 series has plenty of spill for being a throwy light. If you want more balance between throw and spill check out the Fenix PD30 or even the Eagletac P20C2 MKII although the P20C2 MKII may be more than your willing to spend.
    Funny you mention this. I was JUST checking both of these out before coming back here.

It appears that the Fenix PD30 is about the same cost as the EagleTac P20C2 MKII (around $65), yet the P20C2 has about 60 more lumens and slightly better runtime.

Is there any reason anyone would recommend one over the other, aside from these obvious facts?

Does anyone know where I would find the best deal for either of these lights? Any discounts for being a member here?

Thanks a bunch.

Banned

I can highly recommend the P20C2 MKII. The beam is almost perfect. Very bright, and and fits the hand nicely.

If your worried about the button getting damaged, included is a neat little rubber ring that acts as a tail stander and gives protection. Or EagleTac sells tailcaps specifically for that. Linked here.

It only comes out to like 65 bucks after cpf discount and shipping refund at the linked site for the light.

Oh, and a member here measured the actual out the front lumens for the P20C2 MKII to be 330 at start up!
    Last edited by wingnut86; 02-25-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrett14 View Post
    Funny you mention this. I was JUST checking both of these out before coming back here.

It appears that the Fenix PD30 is about the same cost as the EagleTac P20C2 MKII (around $65), yet the P20C2 has about 60 more lumens and slightly better runtime.

Is there any reason anyone would recommend one over the other, aside from these obvious facts?

Does anyone know where I would find the best deal for either of these lights? Any discounts for being a member here?

Thanks a bunch.

Check you PM's and 4sevens is a great place to buy Fenix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast