Best flashlight for under $50

jbrett14

Enlightened
Would love to hear your opinions on what would be the best overall flashlight for under $50.

My preferences would be:

1) AA or 123 batteries
2) Throw \ runtime \ light output (in order of importance)
3) Clickie

Main uses would be for camping & hiking.

I was researching the Fenix L2D-CE. Is this an old model? How does it compare to the Streamlight Stylus Pro? or the Streamlight ProPoly Lux 4AA?

Added note regarding #. 2 above: Although these are listed in order of importance, all three are important to me. Hence the reason I listed them at all. Things that are not important to me were not listed at all, e.g. housing material, color, knurling, whether the light can stand up on it's end, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wingnut86

Banned
How about this one?

Or this one for more throw.

Just a note, the prices are lower at dealer sites, $40 and $46 respectively.

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
apparently wholesaletip.com still has LD2's for sale. they look really expensive though ($80+)...not sure why that would be. i bought an LD20 a few months back and its been my favorite alkaline-cell driven light yet and i'm positive i didn't spend $80 on it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw, run time and clicky being important under $50 I would suggest the Eagletac P100C2 or if you can stand a little bigger light the T100C2 MKII they are great lights at any price. If you get a T100 you can get a 18650 rechargeable battery and charger, if you don't want to spend money on rechargeable setup right now you will have a good light in place when you do decide to go that route. The T100C2 will run at full output regulated for nearly 3hrs on a 18650 battery. Don't forget to use your CPF discounts!

Edit: sorry but I almost made it out to sound the T100C2 is a 18650 only light but it also runs on cr123 batterys

Link to Eagletac-USA for these lights
http://www.eagletac-usa.com/default.aspx

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it helps, there is a beamshot of the TK20 at 115ft, courtesy of Egise's Led Lenser P7 review, i've borrowed the pic to post here

FenixTK20beam.jpg

jbrett14

Enlightened
You guys are GREAT! I really appreciate the fast responses, and suggestions.

It's been a while since I was active in these forums and a lot has changed in lights since then.

A couple more quick questions to anyone who may know:

That TK20 beamshot looks fantastic. How would this compare with the T100C2?
Is the T100C2 too tight of a spot or is it as nice as the TK20?

jbrett14

Enlightened
Another quick question:

Is there any difference in light output between the T100C2 and the T100C2 Mark II?

Is one just an older model?

The Hawk

Enlightened
A few days ago I purchased a Coleman MAX. It runs on 2 AA batteries, produces 115 lumens and has a run time of 5 hours (according to Coleman). It was about $25.00 at W-Mart. I know some folks on here do not like these lights and certainly I am a rookie at best compared to others on here. However, I feel that I got my $'s worth. The bulb is a CREE LED.
I agree with you in that there is a lot of excellent info on this site.
Good luck with your hunt.

pwatcher

Enlightened
+1 for Fenix TK20. Rugged, easy to find if you drop in at night in the leaves (yellow rubber grip), excellent thrower, warm enough tint for good outdoor color rendition!

noisebeam

Newly Enlightened
apparently wholesaletip.com still has LD2's for sale. they look really expensive though ($80+)...not sure why that would be. i bought an LD20 a few months back and its been my favorite alkaline-cell driven light yet and i'm positive i didn't spend $80 on it.
One can still get new in box L2D-q5 from some sellers for ~$55 shipped. I just ordered one after I returned an LD20-q5 for about the same price perhaps a few dollars more.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
am afraid i cannot speak for the eagletac lights, got myself a TK20 and didnt see a need to go looking for anything else. This is one incredibly tough light! specs wise, maybe other lights may beat it but till the day you hold one in your own hand, thats when you will know what they mean when they say that the TK20 is tough!!

wingnut86

Banned
I have a TK20, and it is a great light, but it makes a whining noise in high mode. many of these are known to do that. People will tell you that it isn't a very big deal, but when you're outside at night using this light in the summer time, bats are a concern...Oh, and the noise is annoying. Just a heads up if you are thinking about this light.

The P100C2 and T100C2 MKII should be brighter than the TK20 as well. The T100C2 MKII should out throw it, and the P100C2 should be in the same ball park throw wise as the TK20.

Both the P100C2 and the T100C2 MKII use the same LED and driver so the output will be the same, the throw will just be better on the T100. Runtime is pretty damn good too.

Both are available in cool white as well as neutral white.

They are both also regulated very well on cr123a and Li-ion. Only difference is that the T100C2 will accept an 18650, where as the P100C2 will take a 17670.

Lumenly Challenged

Newly Enlightened
I have a L2d Q5 and it is the light that started my new hobby (thanks everyone :eek: lovecpf). It is all you will need. I used to EDC it, rather long but perfect for camping.

I said "used to" for a reason-Nitecore.

If you can go to 60 dollars the SR3 @47's w/discount for 60.00 Shipped, should be all you could use.

61.60 a D20 r2 at Lightjunction w/ discount.

D10's can be had for less than $50 there also.:thumbsup:

Toaster

Enlightened
The beam profile of the T100C2 MKII w/ OP reflector is very nice and much cleaner than the ringy TK20. The T100C2 throws ~40% further than the TK20, runs 2-2.5x longer on rechargeable batteries, and has higher output (220-200 versus 150). In terms of capability it's no contest, it walks all over the TK20. That's the benefit of moving from a 2xAA powered light to an 18650 powered light.

The only real difference between the MKI and MKII T100C2 is the bezel design. Otherwise they are functionally identical. If you want more info on either light, check out the reviews:
Eagletac T100C2 MKI
Eagletac T100C2 MKII
Fenix TK20

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
You might want to check out the review of the TrustFire1200 in the budget section. It is 46 bucks and is the most lumens you can get for your money.

It IS a DX light, so quality might be a bit lower. Reviews are positive though.

a stainless steel itp a1 with cr123 is a good choice too. Its 33 bucks, durable, well received at this forum and 203 lumens (more with an RCR123) max with 3 modes. You can put it on your keychain if desired, making it very handy and versatile.